Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Darrenj777
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jun 2009, 7:53 pm

can you mimic people so well that you almost become them. that sometimes the lines between you and them start to blur abit. or that you mimic people so well that shadows of them remain with you and you have a hard time being yourself or identifying your own needs?

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 9:35 pm

I sure can and I sometimes mimic people without trying to do so intentionally. If there is this "funny guy" who dominates conversations and gets people to laugh, I sometimes wonder if I were to mimic him, I'd have any success; instead I'd just look like a complete ass. I feel that I unintentionally mimic the people I'm around because that's all I have to work with. Being the real me doesn't work.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 9:40 pm

I can mimic voices to some extent, i probably could mimic gestures and complex moves, but i've never bothered...

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 10:36 pm

yes! I'm the same way...there was this funny guy I knew too and without even trying I would talk like him. I've always done this and I feel like my personality is a mix of all the people I've met who had personalities I liked. When people say be yourself, I always think, " Who is myself?" I really don't know anymore. If I were to truly be myself all the time I think that would be little scary for people... So I try to be other people who are well liked...I mean I can't truly BE these people of course, but I don't know any other way to act.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

26 Jun 2009, 10:39 pm

I've never been good at minicing people but then again, I've never really tried (at least not that I'm aware of). I can minic people's accents but probably not their personality - I've never tried and I don't really want to try. I think that if I did I'd just end up looking stupid.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 10:58 pm

I'm really good at mimicking sounds. Voices, accent, and music in particular. If left to my own devices, I will randomly interject foreign accents into my everyday speech.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 4:07 am

I do not consciously mimic others, but this topic reminds me of something else I do: subtly and mostly unconsciously 'parrotting' others, that's figures of speech, intonation, a bit of body language even. I'm wary of doing this too much.

Raschu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jun 2009, 4:21 am

CyclopsSummers wrote:
I do not consciously mimic others, but this topic reminds me of something else I do: subtly and mostly unconsciously 'parrotting' others, that's figures of speech, intonation, a bit of body language even. I'm wary of doing this too much.

Yeh I do that too sometimes, saying the same words as they use, talking about the same interests as they have, when I got to England I used to take over the dutch-enlish accent of my nephew.

Though I heard it's common human behaviour to do as the people around you. I guess aspies just do it a bit more intense perhaps, I mean we do everything NT's do but more intense.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 5:53 am

yes. excellent at mimicry.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 5:58 am

i can do an excellent impersonation of myself. some people say they it is an almost exact likeness.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 7:17 am

I do voices, dialects and gestures rather well. I can emulate, simulate and imitate the externals of anyone.

ruveyn

Darrenj777
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jun 2009, 7:48 am

can anyone mimic them to a point where you can basically tell what theyre thinking? i get that with some of the gf's ive had, where i can tell exactly what theyre thinking and how they feel.... if my gf has some pain and i touch her body then i can tell where that is exactly in her body by mimicing her... is that weird? i havent heard people really talking about this stuff on here, i expereince this and lots of other almost outer body type stuff regulary.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 9:50 am

I've wondered about this.

When in the presence of others, I tend to start imitating the behavior of others after a while.

I don't know if this causes problems because of how people might see it, but I'm a bit uncomfortable to know that given time, I would start reflecting the mannerisms of those around me.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 11:29 am

zer0netgain wrote:
I've wondered about this.

When in the presence of others, I tend to start imitating the behavior of others after a while.

I don't know if this causes problems because of how people might see it, but I'm a bit uncomfortable to know that given time, I would start reflecting the mannerisms of those around me.

Did you ever see the Woody Allen movie: Selig?

ruveyn

Poke
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 11:47 am

I am merely an amalgamation of those I have have met and known.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 1:55 pm

Poke wrote:
I am merely an amalgamation of those I have have met and known.

I've sometimes suspected that's true of me too.

At school I was notorious for doing comic impressions of the most irritating teachers we had - nobody could do them as well as I could, so it helped my status.

Then I took to singing and seem to have a talent for sounding like certain famous singers - I did a recording of "Imagine" that one guy said sounded (in some places) so much like John Lennon that it was eerie. I'm not as good as Neil Innes though.

I can also do a lot of accents - in fact I lost my original Yorkshire accent because of my obsession with the Beatles, and, without deliberately trying, convinced a janitor in Cornwall that I was from Liverpool - he prided himself on being able to tell where visitors were from. After that I thought I'd best put a brake on my mimicry, as it was leading to awkward questions. But I still find myself picking up the bits of other people's style of speech that I like. My father was also quite adept at this art, and he had a number of Aspie traits too.

It's usually very intuitive, I never study it consciously. But I can't do every accent, and a lot of them I can only say a few words in before I get to a phrase I haven't heard before, and then it breaks down. So I have to be careful not to show off too much.