"You sound like you're on drugs"

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 3:57 pm

For the first time in months I actually took a phonecall. This was because it was important.

I did my best to sound relatively normal and to actually make sure I spoke. I could not follow much of the conversation, but got the gist.

Once the ordeal was over, I thought it had gone well. However, someone (in family) who had overheard the conversation told me I'd sounded like I was on drugs. They kept repeating this statement, even mimicking my voice a few times. They said I'd sounded high/laid back, as though I'd smoked something.

I don't know why, but it hurts, even though they later apologised. Maybe I'm just tired. They know very well how rarely I am able to use the phone, so why did they not think before mimicking me etc.? Do you think they saw me as an embarrassment and that temporarily made them forget to be considerate?

Anyone else had their phone skills and voice mocked?

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 4:06 pm

They were attempting to let you know that you sounded off on the phone in a comical (non offensive) way. The fact you took offense reflects badly on you, not them. You should probably apologise to them.

As for the threads question, yes... my mother always mentions my phone manners. She finds it funny how i reply/answer everything with as few words as possible.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 4:21 pm

Only outlier knows how they sounded- I don't know if he misread them or not but personally if you want to teach me something, teasing is not an effective way.

NateSean
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jul 2009, 5:12 pm

Been there and done that.

I gave someone my address once and I mixed the apartment number up. When I figured out my mistake I apologized. They kept asking me if I had ADHD. I didn't of course, but does that mean it's funny to tease someone who does?

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 5:25 pm

To clarify for those who respond in future and to prevent them reading things between the lines that are not there:

They were not laughing or acting amused or amusing.

They know I have social anxiety and have a phone phobia.

I did not show I was offended, but tried to hide my upset. However, they followed me and saw it in my face.

Logically, mocking someone with social anxiety, which they've read about, would not be helpful; quite the opposite. Therefore, I have no idea why they thought mimicking me could be helpful in any way. I do not intend to think about it for long, but have difficulty switching off my curiosity about their behaviour.

pekkla
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jul 2009, 5:42 pm

The way they treated you sucks, and even worse, they are your family. If you can't be yourself around your family without feeling bad, where can you go? Of course, family members are often the meanest people of all, which is very sad. I never felt good about myself when I was a kid in my family.

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 6:49 pm

Michjo wrote:
They were attempting to let you know that you sounded off on the phone in a comical (non offensive) way. The fact you took offense reflects badly on you, not them. You should probably apologise to them.

Screw THAT. Sounds exactly like what a bully would say to justify mocking someone. I've been mocked before and had people tell me they are just trying to "help" me. Regardless of how someone PERCEIVES their own motives, it doesn't make it OK to hurt someone. Even if you act out of ignorance, if your ignorance leads you to hurt someone, you owe them an apology.

Michjo, your statement sounds extremely offensive to me, because I know EXACTLY what it is like to experience what outlier did. Seems like Outliers family did the right thing to apologize, but which is far better than justifying a hurt, which is what you just did.

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 7:26 pm

Juggernaut wrote:
Screw THAT. Sounds exactly like what a bully would say to justify mocking someone. I've been mocked before and had people tell me they are just trying to "help" me.

I'm a bully now am i? Why thank you for that.

Juggernaut wrote:
Regardless of how someone PERCEIVES their own motives

No, not regardless. Just because aspies have ToM issues it doesn't mean we shouldn't try. Was said person intentionally trying to hurt? Were they intentionally trying to cause pain? They are important questions, and they have direct implications as to wether someone should take offense and wether someone is a bully or not.

Juggernaut wrote:
Even if you act out of ignorance, if your ignorance leads you to hurt someone, you owe them an apology.

Hypochondrias is a bad trait, aspies with emotional dysregulation should learn to control their emotional states as opposed to expecting everyone else to conform.

Juggernaut wrote:
Michjo, your statement sounds extremely offensive to me, because I know EXACTLY what it is like to experience what outlier did.

Right, and i couldn't have possibly been bullied all my life and had people make fun of me when using the phone?

Juggernaut wrote:
Seems like Outliers family did the right thing to apologize, but which is far better than justifying a hurt, which is what you just did.

You are completely clueless...

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 4:48 am

Michjo wrote:
Juggernaut wrote:
Michjo, your statement sounds extremely offensive to me, because I know EXACTLY what it is like to experience what outlier did.

Right, and i couldn't have possibly been bullied all my life [...]

So you think I was being bullied then?

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 5:39 am

outlier wrote:
So you think I was being bullied then?

Not at all, because i've been in the position where i've been bullied before. People need to be judged on their actions, not the results of their actions. Disagreements are always two-way. Yes, she could apologise for hurting your feelings and yes, you could apologise for over-reacting. At the end of the day, it's answering a phone... it really isn't a big deal.

Actually i rarely answer the phone, i have no insight as to why i don't, i can only assume it annoys me. The other day i actually did answer it because my mother is always complaining i do not answer it. She then made this face, like me answering the phone was the worst thing that could ever happen. Me and my father dealt with it with sarcasm. "She always cries when i don't answer the phone, but when i do it's a crime... i guess i'll go and turn myself in...". He then said something else, that i forget, but it was extremely witty :wink:

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 6:58 am

I would sometimes space out a bit at school, because I was tired and there was so much new information coming in. One of the other students asked me if I was stoned. I wasn't, but I didn't really care because it was just something said by some other person.

It's good your family apologized though, maybe they realised it's not funny to you.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 9:01 am

There was no disagreement; there was miscommunication. I have since spoken with them and they said it just did not occur to them at the time to remember my social anxiety. They agreed that answering the phone is very hard for me. They just forgot at the time. In my case, it is clearly not accurate to describe answering the phone as not a big deal. Such matters differ widely between people (for instance, I am sure some people could be found who would not even consider death to be a big deal).

Out of curiosity, I also decided to mention the idea of me giving an apology. They laughed and said that it was 100% not necessary. I asked why, and they said people are not supposed to apologise for feelings.

I think I have a slightly better idea about their behaviour now. It seems they had just forgotten about my anxiety. They also commented that they cannot think while in the process of saying something or be logical like me.

activebutodd wrote:
It's good your family apologized though, maybe they realised it's not funny to you.

The person did not intend to be funny anyway. They were mimicking to give feedback without comedic intentions.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 11:47 am

actually, i get stoned from time to time (to time to time.,..) BUT

when im NOT i will suddenly "GET" stoned if im a victim of a surprise visit from my mother or my dad or the stepmother (whos nice)

last time my dad and stepmother came for a quick visit (by then theyre suspecting im aspie. we're getting closer.) i was so stumped, and i acted SO stoned :S
my dad smirked at me and went "look who's all aggitated!"

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 2:19 pm

outlier wrote:
There was no disagreement; there was miscommunication. I have since spoken with them and they said it just did not occur to them at the time to remember my social anxiety. They agreed that answering the phone is very hard for me. They just forgot at the time. In my case, it is clearly not accurate to describe answering the phone as not a big deal. Such matters differ widely between people (for instance, I am sure some people could be found who would not even consider death to be a big deal).

Out of curiosity, I also decided to mention the idea of me giving an apology. They laughed and said that it was 100% not necessary. I asked why, and they said people are not supposed to apologise for feelings.

I think I have a slightly better idea about their behaviour now. It seems they had just forgotten about my anxiety. They also commented that they cannot think while in the process of saying something or be logical like me.

Yeah this makes a lot of sense to me. It sounds like your family does support you, but sometimes they might get impatient about your idiosyncrasies and may spin that impatience in a sarcastic or mocking tone. I know I get impatient with other people's illogical thinking too, and it feels hard sometimes to keep my mouth shut. At least your family apologized and they seem to know how important it is to you that they not mock you, and I think that's the best that can come out of it. Everybody makes mistakes but your family appears to want to learn from them and you appear to want to forgive them. That's great. :)

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 2:42 pm

...I've had " he's on medication " - even nicely/behnignly - comments directed at me once or twice SINCE my DX , I'd had comments like that in the past , too , I'd meant to post over this...

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 4:35 pm

During my project of continuous labor, 'trying,' a woman ran into my apartment to seek protection from a threat. An officer came over and told the police that I appeared to be on drugs. No arrests, or charges, or anything.

On the word like:

Oftentimes people will say, "You look like..." "You sound like..." followed by anything they want to say about you. In reality, everything is like everything else to some degree. That means anyone can weasel by with a statement that you appear or behave 'like' something. I'd just say, "Everything is like everything else, to some degree."

Like a drop of blood in a tank of flesh-eating piranhas, a new idea never fails to arouse the wrath of herd prejudice.