Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 9:16 pm

I read about 140 to 150 books in a typical year, mostly nonfiction. The number is higher if I read fiction, and lower if I read lengthy tomes or textbooks, but since I keep track of every book I read in a database, I know my average.

I'm wondering how many books other people with AS or other forms of autism read per year.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 9:23 pm

I would say around 50-80. If I didn't have a computer I would read A LOT more.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 9:32 pm

Over 100. I'm not sure exactly how many more than that, but it could be a lot more. Over the last week I finished six. The numbers go up and down as I ferret out new interesting things to read or realize I've run out the library's supply.

I've got a thing for reading. Ever since I first realized words had meanings--I was three at the time--and learned to read fluently (four), I've been completely hooked. I find it kind of amusing that people think it is somehow virtuous to like reading, because I spent my childhood being told, "Get your nose out of that book and come do something useful!" Like a typical hyperlexic, I started out just reading for the sake of decoding words, little heed paid to deeper meanings; but as the years passed I caught up to and passed my peers in comprehension too. I will probably never be any good at the nuances of storytelling or poetry, but I can dig information out of printed text like nobody's business.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 9:38 pm

75 to 100 novels mostly

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Jul 2009, 9:43 pm

I read about two or three a week. Thank heaven I live near a library. We had no books when I was a kid, or rather, I had about five in all, including Little Golden Books and Heidi. We lived in the boonies and I actually read *all* the children's books in two fledgling libraries. I still get nervous if I'm not surrounded with stacks of books.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 9:48 pm

I know what you mean Claradoon a house with no books gives off a a creepy vibe to me. I was one of those kids that had to read even if it was just the back of a cereal box. :)

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 9:51 pm

i don't really keep track but...ALOT haha :)

mostly fiction. and it has to be thick. i hate reading anything under 200 pages. just doesn't feel worth the time. i want something i can enjoy for a comparative WHILE since i read hella fast. i finished off the last harry potter book some 1400 pages in under 12 hours.

prolly at least 100 per year =o?

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 10:16 pm

Bookwormed topic

About 30-35. I read and reread, in order to visually memorize each book.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

26 Jul 2009, 10:26 pm

One or two and that's only if I have to. I really dislike reading, it takes me so long. Either that or I read a few pages and put it down, never to open it again.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 10:32 pm

I don't keep track, but I would estimate close to 200. I read mostly SF, non-fiction about science, brain function, politics, history, biography, Africa, gardening, ecology, economic development issues etc, a few mysteries, an occasional classic.

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 10:40 pm

Zero.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 10:45 pm

Zero is about right. I may read parts of books, but unless it's incredibly gripping (like, say, Harry Potter or similar), I usually get bored about 1/3rd of the way through and find something else to do.

Now, if you were to ask the number of tunes I learn in a year, it would be too many to count...

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 10:54 pm

fiddlerpianist wrote:
Zero is about right. I may read parts of books, but unless it's incredibly gripping (like, say, Harry Potter or similar), I usually get bored about 1/3rd of the way through and find something else to do.

Now, if you were to ask the number of tunes I learn in a year, it would be too many to count...
I'd recommend anything by stephanie meyers
or katherine neville
kurt vonnegut jr. is good too if you're into it. he just has a way with satire.

just to name a few

Electric_Kite
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 11:02 pm

About 150? Two or three a week. Usually non-fiction. Fiction bores me lately.

arisu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2009, 11:16 pm

200+ as fiction is a special interest. i read nonfiction in sudden sprints. i get interested in a topic and read maybe 30 books on the subject (non-fiction) before reverting back to my usual fiction.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 11:31 pm

About 8 or so. I'm much too busy to actually sit about reading. And when I find something fascinating, I read very slowly so as to take it in. I almost never read fiction any more. Although one of my favorites is the Annotated H.P. Lovecraft.