E-mail 60%  60%  [ 31 ]
Instant Messaging 19%  19%  [ 10 ]
Face-to-Face 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 52

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 1:00 am

Who here actually prefers telephone (cell or landline) as their main form of communication? I live by my cell phone, because it allows me to socialize and be mobile, as opposed to e-mail and IM.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 1:41 am

I suppose email, or face to face if I know the person well. I find telephone conversation irritating and actively hate IM, text messaging or chatrooms. With email, I can take time and consider my words.

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 2:04 am

Email / CellPhone

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 2:28 am

E-mail is best.
Chatrooms are good with the right people
I tried IM, but it was a bad group and I never got back to it. I would probably like it with people from here.
Face to face is ok sometimes
I refuse to try text messaging. It sounds like the worst of all possible worlds.
I hate the phone.

HauntedKnight
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jul 2009, 2:56 am

I hate talking on the phone and would much prefer to talk to someone face to face. Even though I have Asperger's I think I understand more of what someone is saying by looking at body language. When just on the phone it feels like I'm missing a whole lot of information.

But I prefer email/twitter/facebook even more as easier to be clear and you can think about what you say before writing it.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 3:03 am

Ha, no.

Typing all the way.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 5:09 am

I have spent eight plus hours on the phone talking to people before. Someone I knew asked "how do you do it? How can you stand it?" and I have no idea. It's how I landed various jobs involving phone talking. A few people have told me I am the only one they can talk that long to and they don't get it either.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 6:28 am

I agree with HauntedKnight. E-mail is my preferred mode of communication, because you can carefully plan out what you have to say, and if you make a mistake or change your mind, you can just delete what you've written previously. Also, OTHER people can read over what you've written before you send it, to make sure it's socially acceptable.

I hate talking on the phone. I always have. I like talking on the phone to my mother, my grandmother, and a handful of really close friends, but that's it. With anybody else, I have a panic attack every time I have to call somebody. I have no conception of when it's my turn to speak on the phone, so I interrupt constantly. I, too, would rather talk in person than talk on the phone, because I can see people's reactions to me. If I see that they're smiling or something, I know that everything is okay. Plus, I rely first and foremost on tone of voice to gauge my social interactions, and for some reason, I don't really interpret tone of voice as much on the phone as I do in person.

I also hate IM-ing. I dare say I hate IM-ing more than talking on the phone. First of all, few people use proper grammar and punctuation while IM-ing, and that greatly bothers me. Secondly, I am naturally a very verbose person, so I will write a lot for my responses, and then, I'll receive back a one-word, monosyllabic answer, like, "Yup." That irritates me. :roll:
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 6:38 am

The telephone is the evil instrument of evil.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 6:49 am

Quote:
The telephone is the evil instrument of evil.

indeed!! !

I have phonephobia, hate it for the world...the only people Im okay to talk to on the phone is my parents and my husband, thats it.
Most of my communication is by SMS (calling disabled on mobilephone) so for that I choosed IM as you can have a chat conversation like that
I would love more IM talkings onlinebut dont have anyone to talk to so I keep writing on this forum a bunch of random stuff. Email is more difficult as it too much one way and require me think more deeper of what to say...

flutezrule
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jul 2009, 7:09 am

I chose telephone, but somehow I'm not really sure if that is the best. I have trouble talking on the phone. I can talk to my family and friends, and that's it. If I have to call someone I don't know (like a business number) to get information on something like a store's opening hours or whether or not they have a certain item, I get all nervous. The same thing happens if I call my friend's and their parents answer. I don't really like face to face that much because that makes me even more nervous. Emailing is alright, but sometimes I'm scared I'll say something wrong or carry on about a certain subject too long and then I won't know it until the person emails me back (and then they still have to point it out). I like IMs, but I have a hard time sending my emotions out over those and telling how someone feels (I have trouble with this with all the other forms of communication, but it's probably the hardest for me on instant messengers). I'm fine with chat speak and I use it to an extent, but there's a point where too much is too much and it looks like nothing more than a bunch of gibberish, which I find really annoying. Also, sometimes I have a lot to say and it gets on my nerves when people just respond with things like,'k,'yep', and 'oh. kool,'.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 9:00 am

It depends on the situation. I prefer the phone for chit-chat, because it's easier to get across lots of (non-)information in a relatively short time. But I prefer E-mail for formal communication because I can reread what the other person writes.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 9:35 am

I use the phone about as much as e-mail. I prefer phone rather than face to face. Even though it is really hard for me to read the cues, especially the ones that tell me when it's my turn to talk. I constantly interrupt others while on the phone, whereas is face to face conversation I don't as much. With the phone I can stay at home, living in my hermit glory, and still have an occasional social interaction. If the conversation gets awkward, or I'm done talking for the time being, I can always excuse myself quite easily, as opposed to face to face interaction.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 10:00 am

I avoid phones like the plague. If I don't know who is calling I usually don't answer. I'm not good at phones. I always do everything wrong whenever I use one. I generally say I have a phobia of phones, which may be true. I use the phone, like, once a week, maybe, for something short and little... if I absolutely HAVE to.

WardenWolf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 10:16 am

Alexander Graham Bell was an agent of Satan. :evil:

But truth be told, I generally prefer IM, although I'm perfectly comfortable using Internet voice communication (Skype, Teamspeak, etc.) with people I know. I just hate the rigidness of phones. They make me nervous and I sweat like crazy unless it's someone I'm comfortable with, and a topic I'm comfortable discussing.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 10:22 am

I should've specified this in my previous post, but I was mostly talking about social calls. Calling people that I enjoy talking to, and discussing topics that I like to talk about. If we're talking about calling places of business, and the like, then no.. I HATE the phone for those purposes. I have to write down everything that I want to say in advance, and hope to God that the person I'm calling somewhat follows my predicted script. It sometimes can take me hours to work up the courage to make necessary calls to places of business.