Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 3:22 am

BBC: Body Language Study

Quote:
Problems processing visual information may stop those with autism interpreting body language, harming their ability to gauge others' emotions, a study says.

Researchers say people with autism have problems recognising physical displays of emotion, but also general difficulty perceiving certain sorts of motion.

They suggest in Neuropsychologia this may contribute to problems with social interaction, characteristic of autism.

The National Autistic Society said the UK study was an interesting one.

A team from the University of Durham studied 13 adults with autism and found the patients had difficulty identifying emotions such as anger or happiness when shown short animated video clips.

Silent movies

The characters had no faces, nor did they speak, so the participants were asked to judge the emotion based on the body language of the figure alone.

Along with 16 adults with no autism diagnosis, they were also shown a number of dots on a computer screen and asked which way they were moving. A proportion of dots moved noticeably to the left or right, while the others moved randomly.

The way people move their bodies tells us a lot about their feelings or intentions, and we use this information on a daily basis to communicate with each other

Anthony Atkinson
Lead author
The performance of the autism group was significantly below that of the others in both tests, leading researchers to speculate that there may be serious differences between the ability to process visual information.

They point to an area of the brain needed for the perception of motion called the superior temporal sulcus, and cite previous research which has found that this area responds differently in people with autism.

"The way people move their bodies tells us a lot about their feelings or intentions, and we use this information on a daily basis to communicate with each other.

"We use others' body movements and postures, as well as people's faces and voices, to gauge their feelings," said Anthony Atkinson, who led the research.

"People with autism are less able to use these cues to make accurate judgements about how others are feeling.

"We now need to look further to see how exactly this happens and how this may combine with potential difficulties in attention."

It is thought as many as half a million people in the UK have a form of autism, a lifelong developmental disability which can severely affect how a person makes sense of the world around them.

Gina Gomez De La Cuesta, of the National Autistic Society, said the study was an interesting one.

"It certainly takes us on. We know of these problems with emotion recognition but to start to unpick the reasons why is helpful. There appear to be difficulties at the very basic processing level.

"But we really need to see this repeated in more people and then we can start thinking about how we act on it."

Irvy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Aug 2009, 4:12 am

A lot of these studies and their conclusion remind me of a criticism I level at my partner on occasion. They all appear to take the view of "you don't do that my way, therefore you do it wrong". Since most of these tests compared us with NTs doing NT things, and then assess us according to how much of a difference in ability there is in that isolated action.

More and more I'm coming to an opinion within myself that we have to stop comparing ourselves with NTs and explore what a healthy, happy autistic mind is truely capable of.

nara44
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 5:25 am

Irvy wrote:
A lot of these studies and their conclusion remind me of a criticism I level at my partner on occasion. They all appear to take the view of "you don't do that my way, therefore you do it wrong". Since most of these tests compared us with NTs doing NT things, and then assess us according to how much of a difference in ability there is in that isolated action.

More and more I'm coming to an opinion within myself that we have to stop comparing ourselves with NTs and explore what a healthy, happy autistic mind is truely capable of.

U R so right
For years I've been screaming that research on autism is pseudo-science at it's worth
True Science suppose to be objective or at least take into acount the realtivity of any point of view
what's done in this particular field is a disgrace to science and humanity
i have no doubt that history would pass a very harsh judgment on those currently in the field
and some of the so called "professional" needs to be in court for crimes agains humanity
almost any "research" i read make me realized how biased and stupid the researchers are
it is incredible that such small minds still rules the academic world

TheKingsRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Aug 2009, 10:38 am

In what way is being unable to correctly judge how dots are moving "bias towards the neurotypical's point of view". The dots are moving in a set way, the computer code proves this, if we can't tell correctly how they're moving that is an objective inability, not bias.

A healthy outlook accepts that AS has both advantages and disadvantages, simply accusing NTs of bias is both rude and in this case, provably untrue.

nara44
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 3:37 pm

TheKingsRaven wrote:
In what way is being unable to correctly judge how dots are moving "bias towards the neurotypical's point of view". The dots are moving in a set way, the computer code proves this, if we can't tell correctly how they're moving that is an objective inability, not bias.

A healthy outlook accepts that AS has both advantages and disadvantages, simply accusing NTs of bias is both rude and in this case, provably untrue.

Usually the problem is not with observations but with what is inferred from them
for instance
i do not react to NT body language as it is pointless and contradictory from my point of view
the subject is complicated and is beyond the limited space of the post but i think many AS would know what i mean
besides
The computer code proves nothing as many mathematician and programmer (I'm both) would tell you that moment in 3D space is in no way objective reality
it is illusory or relative and the space described by the code is not reality
many autistic persons experiences reality beyond relative space and motions which can lead to them percievd as frozen and motionless by NT

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 1:55 am

Irvy wrote:

The problem with your logic in this instance is that fluently and effortlessly making accurate inferences about the mind/emotional state of one’s co specifics using cues from their body language is not so much an NT thing as it a normal human function, and in fact a normal primate function, or more widely, a normal mammal function, and it makes sense to describe an inability or deficit in an ordinary skill of one’s own species as a disorder when that limitation can be demonstrated to hamper or be detrimental to the success, interests, and well being of organisms so characterized.

nara44
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 2:36 am

pandd wrote:
Irvy wrote:

The problem with your logic in this instance is that fluently and effortlessly making accurate inferences about the mind/emotional state of one’s co specifics using cues from their body language is not so much an NT thing as it a normal human function, and in fact a normal primate function, or more widely, a normal mammal function, and it makes sense to describe an inability or deficit in an ordinary skill of one’s own species as a disorder when that limitation can be demonstrated to hamper or be detrimental to the success, interests, and well being of organisms so characterized.

not true
many of the greatest contributes to mankind were supposedly lacking in what u and the majority describe as proper function or normal skills
and this is no mere coincidence as many of the limitations society inflict on certain individuals stem from society narrow minded egotism and very superficial definition of success
for instance
a good heart ,conscious individual will have a lot of trouble in achieving the support which result in well being or the necessary standard of living in corrupt society or environment
there are endless books, plays,movies etc... that are dealing with this subject and it would be very wrong to ignore so known and well documented fact
the common interest of our society at large would suffer and is suffering terribly because too many people consider what counts as normal to be right
conformism doesn't equal morality and it is time to take a deeper look into why it is so/\

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 3:14 am

nara44 wrote:
not true

My comments so far as I can see are entirely true.

Quote:
many of the greatest contributes to mankind were supposedly lacking in what u and the majority describe as proper function or normal skills
and this is no mere coincidence as many of the limitations society inflict on certain individuals stem from society narrow minded egotism and very superficial definition of success

Your comments are completely irrelevant. This experiment tested a particular capacity and unless in your view that capacity is the “greatest attributes of mankind”, commentary about those attributes (whatever you subjectively evaluate those as being) is entirely irrelevant to what is being discussed in this thread.

nara44
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 4:27 am

pandd wrote:
nara44 wrote:
not true

My comments so far as I can see are entirely true.

Quote:

Your comments are completely irrelevant. This experiment tested a particular capacity and unless in your view that capacity is the “greatest attributes of mankind”, commentary about those attributes (whatever you subjectively evaluate those as being) is entirely irrelevant to what is being discussed in this thread.

sorry
again i mistakenly assumed that most people would make the connections between capacities and perception and what is deemed the right or proper way of perceiving reality
i have tried to paint some what bigger picture which is obviously beyond any one who can't handles more abstract and holistic way of thinking
since your rather simplistic way of thinking has taken "greatest attributes of mankind" as a "capacity" i see no way in enlighten you further of this matter
unfortunately I'm too used to this kind of unimaginative and shallow perception to my views and i think this is also one of the main causes behind the unworthy level of the so called "research" done on the rather involved and complicated subject of autism
hopefully some of the readers of this forum are capable of more abstract set of mind as this kind of perception is also very common trait of the average AS
anyway i don't mind wasting my time and try giving some more example of the way a broader view might interpret autistic "in-sensitiveness" to movement and how it is linked to morality or a more advanced way of perceiving reality
for instance
a predator would interpret movements in a total different way then a philosopher as a predator would analyze any movement according to his eat or be eaten instincts while a philosopher might ponder or meditate on what such movement can tell us about the nature of our reality so to the untrained eye(the typical researcher) the former might look more responsive or normal and the later might appears as incapable of reaction
actually u can see demonstration of this phenomena in the way the autistic stares for hours at reflections and movement, a behavior which to most common man or researcher seems like a sign of mental illness while in fact it reflects a higher level of existence
a level who values curiosity above the basic flight or fight instincts of the average mammal or NT
a level which is the behind most of the advanced art or real research
i hope that this rather small instance of a large array of behaviors would help u see the connection or links between moral attributes and development and the properties of perceptions
perception is not just a technical attribute
we are not machines (at least some of us are not)
perception is an expression of identity and most researchers typically miss that part
much like u did

TheKingsRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2009, 9:09 am

nara44 wrote:
The computer code proves nothing as many mathematician and programmer (I'm both) would tell you that moment in 3D space is in no way objective reality
With a fixed point of reference it becomes objective reality, there is a fixed point of reference in this experiment.

I'm a programmer too and I think the code provides the objective reality the dots move in. If the code says it moves left then its objectively true that from from the standardised viewpoint (sitting in front of the screen) the dot moves left.

nara44 wrote:
sorry
again i mistakenly assumed that most people would make the connections between capacities and perception and what is deemed the right or proper way of perceiving reality
We're not talking about perceiving reality, just a very specific part of it where autism is a disadvantage. Any advantages autism provides to other parts of reality are irrelivent to this discussion.

nara44 wrote:
i have tried to paint some what bigger picture which is obviously beyond any one who can't handles more abstract and holistic way of thinking
Or those of us who remember that Science assembles the big picture from loads of really small pictures and thus know its right and proper for the researchers to study one single form of perception exclusively. (P.S. it's bad form to make Ad Homenim attacks)

nara44 wrote:
a predator would interpret movements in a total different way then a philosopher as a predator would analyze any movement according to his eat or be eaten instincts while a philosopher might ponder or meditate on what such movement can tell us about the nature of our reality so to the untrained eye(the typical researcher) the former might look more responsive or normal and the later might appears as incapable of reaction

Which has nothing to do with this study, this study is an objective measure of one spesific type of perception, it did its job well and came to accurate conclusions. That there are other types of perception than what was studied is both true and irrelivent.

nara44 wrote:
Low level studies are just as valid and important as high level studies.

nara44 wrote:
it contains many different technical attributes, studying them is a valid scientific indevour.

Last edited by TheKingsRaven on 06 Aug 2009, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 11:07 pm

nara44 wrote:

The research referred to is scientific. It does not take your moral objectives into account and nor should it. Frankly, if your moral objectives do not fit the facts, it’s probably not realistic to expect the facts will magically change to better suite you.

Your subjective moral views are as irrelevant now as they were when last I posted.

If you intended to demonstrate that you are so caught up in some kind of crusade to control how ASDs are perceived, such that you are unable or unwilling to have a reasoned discussion about rather simple and straightforward research and its rather simple and straightforward results, then you have succeeded very well indeed.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 2:16 am

pandd wrote:
nara44 wrote:

The research referred to is scientific. It does not take your moral objectives into account and nor should it. Frankly, if your moral objectives do not fit the facts, it’s probably not realistic to expect the facts will magically change to better suite you.

Your subjective moral views are as irrelevant now as they were when last I posted.

If you intended to demonstrate that you are so caught up in some kind of crusade to control how ASDs are perceived, such that you are unable or unwilling to have a reasoned discussion about rather simple and straightforward research and its rather simple and straightforward results, then you have succeeded very well indeed.

M-M-M...
Monsterkill! 8)

Though seriously:
Quote:
Gina Gomez De La Cuesta, of the National Autistic Society, said the study was an interesting one.

"It certainly takes us on. We know of these problems with emotion recognition but to start to unpick the reasons why is helpful. There appear to be difficulties at the very basic processing level.

"But we really need to see this repeated in more people and then we can start thinking about how we act on it."

nara44
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 4:48 am

pandd wrote:
nara44 wrote:

To consider science,especially science dealing with human perception to exist in separate domain that doesn't include moral or any other faculty of human existence is as far from scientific as possible
Ideas such as yours were considered out of date even 50 years ago
No real scientist in his right mind would even try to claim objectiveness
at least not modern scientist
u r living in middle ages
wake up
U remind me of psychologists of the past that pretend to explore and diagnose the human nature without taking that same nature into account
hard to believe that ideas like yours still exists
Objective science,what a joke,hopefully u not doing science for a living
Do u really believe u can investigate human perception and psychology with out taking into account some of the most elemental parts of it ?
what next?
cosmology research that ignore the existence of stars ?

nara44
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 5:11 am

TheKingsRaven wrote:
nara44 wrote:
With a fixed point of reference it becomes objective reality, there is a fixed point of reference in this experiment.

I'm a programmer too and I think the code provides the objective reality the dots move in. If the code says it moves left then its objectively true that from from the standardised viewpoint (sitting in front of the screen) the dot moves left.

nara44 wrote:
sorry
We're not talking about perceiving reality, just a very specific part of it where autism is a disadvantage. Any advantages autism provides to other parts of reality are irrelivent to this discussion.

nara44 wrote:
Or those of us who remember that Science assembles the big picture from loads of really small pictures and thus know its right and proper for the researchers to study one single form of perception exclusively. (P.S. it's bad form to make Ad Homenim attacks)

nara44 wrote:

Which has nothing to do with this study, this study is an objective measure of one spesific type of perception, it did its job well and came to accurate conclusions. That there are other types of perception than what was studied is both true and irrelivent.

nara44 wrote:
Low level studies are just as valid and important as high level studies.

nara44 wrote:
it contains many different technical attributes, studying them is a valid scientific indevour.

3D space is in no way objective reality,it is an artificial construct that proven to be illusory many many years ago and the fact that u can construct it in pictures or computer code proves nothing as the eyes or the conscientiousness can't be considered in any way to be a fixed point of reference
to assume that this specific part of autism is a disadvantage is not objective science
for instance
i don't care for many of the NT body language and to tell u the truth my life is much better because of it as most of the NT gestures are illusory and self contradicting anyway
Scientific value of concentrating on small picture loose all it's value when it forget it place in the big picture and that why i commented on this study as worthless
i know that very important men from very important establismnents and organizations think other wise but they are ussually wrong as any one who attempted science know
too well
u cannot isolate one type or small area of perception from the rest,it's all connected,that why Low level studies are valid and important as high level studies as long as u see the links between them and that what I've been trying to do

i know Ad Homenim attacks are not nice but so is ignorance and i like to provoke the ignoramus,that's a very also an important part of true science

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 7:28 am

Ahem...

Drawing a conclusion from this study and applying it would be an unscientific mistakie, whether or not the study was scientific. There is a basic reason for this: they only had 13 autistics and 16 NTs in the study.

Irvy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2009, 3:58 pm

There's another problem, quite a glaring one that's overlooked. We're discussing differences in consciousness here, in essence. The autistic consciousness versus the NT consciousness. However, we have no science of consciousness, and cannot explain in scientific terms what it is or how it works, so how then can we scientifically compare differences between 2 things when we cannot adequately explain either one of them?