Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

EmmiSpeaks
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Aug 2009, 9:12 am

Anyone else deal with a constant stream of NT presumptions and accusations?
I think my generally "strangeness" as they say, is giving the impression that I'm "ret*d" or childish or mentally deficient in some way?

Just because I sound/act differently doesn't mean I'm going to be drawing all over the walls with crayons or something similar!
They speak to me like a parent who is scolding their child? Or maybe dog.
:cry:
It really bothers me...

Sorenna
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 9:26 am

Writing on walls can be fun!

Hey, yes, I know. It is a problem, though. Just tell people to go to hell.

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Aug 2009, 9:36 am

Sometimes people talk to me as if I'm a child. Though, whether that's the fact that I have Asperger's or the fact I'm a nineteen year old who looks sixteen I don't know.

It's most likely a mixture of both.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 9:57 am

Same here. Plus when I had a name change the one lady who gave my mom and I the paperwork said I "look very young" (I've gotten that a lot). My parents don't think I look that young, but w/ the way I act a lot, I don't really know :?. People should just shut up & mind their own business.

Silvervarg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 12:17 pm

EmmiSpeaks wrote:
I think my generally "strangeness" as they say, is giving the impression that I'm "ret*d" or childish or mentally deficient in some way?

Just because I sound/act differently doesn't mean I'm going to be drawing all over the walls with crayons or something similar!
It really bothers me...

Most humans are born idiots, I just pitty them and move on. And if someone talks in some sort of childish manner to me, I generaly return the favour with interest, or talk to them like they are idiots who don't understand anything. (Over-explaining etc.) All depending on the situation. :D

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Aug 2009, 12:44 pm

Silvervarg wrote:
Most humans are born idiots, I just pitty them and move on.

That's a rather self-righteous statement, don't you think?

C-57D
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Aug 2009, 1:03 pm

For a lot of months I had to put up with someone who treated me like a child.
Just because I watch Doctor Who, have occasional mood swings, get overexcited when intellectually stimulated, and love finding the magic in life, doesn't mean I need to be spoken to slowly, lectured for an hour on simple things, or treated like something recently scraped off the bottom of a shoe.

Thank goodness that person is out of my life.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 10:23 pm

EmmiSpeaks wrote:

It really bothers me...

Well, I don't have this issue, because my AS symptoms are pretty mild, if I'm AS at all. But I'm sure that must be really annoying. I think people just don't know any better, and aren't sure how to act. People rely on feedback from others, and if what they get from you is something they aren't familiar with, they won't know how to act.

I have a neighbor who I see sometimes around town. He's a 15 or 16 year old, nonverbal autistic boy. He's usually with his father, who I suspect might be AS himself. The boy is always swaying back and forth. I've been seeing him for eight years, and he's always swaying. But one day, he walked up to me, gently put his arm in mine, and we walked along together for a bit. I said something to him, and he said a few syllables I didn't understand. It was kind of neat experience, but it was also a little uncomfortable because I have NO idea what he understands, and therefore I wasn't sure how I was supposed to try to communicate with him. Nowadays, I understand autism better, and suspect he would have understood anything I would have said. But maybe he wouldn't have. I didn't want to offend him by talking down to him, but I didn't want to go the other way either. So mostly we just walked. He reached out to me for a connection, and I didn't know what I should do. Should I have said something like, "I notice that you like to sway back and forth. I think I'll try that and see what it's like," and did a bit of swaying? Or would he have thought I was making fun of him? I have no idea.

So, I don't know what you are like, but maybe people just really don't know how to act. I bet, in most cases, they don't mean any harm, and they probably wish they knew what was the proper way for them to talk to you. They might be "normal", but they still need a little help, I suppose.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2009, 4:57 pm

I have mild aspie too but I still like to collect and play(Even if the story I create for them is pretty mature with things like genocide) with Star wars action figures and i play Yugioh card game(the show sucks in americ but it is really mature in japan and even features cursing and drugs). I stopped watching cartoons regularly last year (except for star wars) and now I watch comedy(have been for years) and discovery or natgeo channels. I do sound younger(13ish) though and I get citicized for that a lot. I usually hide my obsessions but thankfully a few of my friends have some of the same obsessions as me so I'm okay with being sorta childish.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 6:57 pm

EmmiSpeaks wrote:

It really bothers me...

i knoww, my dad and his girlfriend are like that, i really hate how condescending they are sometimes.

He doesn't seem to want to understand it and deal with because then he's responsible somewhat and so he plays it off dodging it and treating me like like i'm sorta slow and i'll grasp it eventually if he repeats himself enough. which doesn't work and just creates resentment. i can't help my bad short term memory sometimes.

and his girlfriend is even worse in a sense because she works in a mental health place and has jaded opinions regarding how bad she thinks things are and most times seems to totally play off my condition as something small and minor [compared to brain cancer maybe :roll: ] and compared my situation to one of her relatives who has schizophrenia and said i don't have it so bad and should be grateful. well, for one thing they are entirely different and can be just as bad in their own ways, and for another, it's like when your little and you don't like what you're eating and your parents say, "hey, eat your food, starving kids in china would be glad to have that" well, comparing situations never made me feel better about eating things i hated then and it certainly doesn't help me feel better now. it's quite frustrating.

i just really reallyyy want to move out of my house xD. but getting the job and car that would make that possible are starting to seem monumentally difficult.

Silvervarg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 10:20 am

Fidget wrote:
Silvervarg wrote:

Indeed, and true too. I know I was born an idiot, and I'm trying to change (and are doing quite a good job too), so I can say things like that. :D

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Aug 2009, 4:21 pm

Silvervarg wrote:
Fidget wrote:
Silvervarg wrote:

Indeed, and true too. I know I was born an idiot, and I'm trying to change (and are doing quite a good job too), so I can say things like that. :D

:thumright: