PONYO!! ! You've done it again, Miyazaki-san!

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2009, 1:37 am

Please, if you have a local theater that is playing this, get over to see it! Restore my faith in humanity! Today was the opening day for it in the states and hardly anyone was there! Mind you, I was at a matinee, but still. As I sat between my 11-year-old and my 7-year-old, who each adored it, and watched the gentle opening and the peaceful credit sequence, I realized that I had just stepped outside of the stream of loud trailers and typical Hollywood kid fare and into a place where they just don't let that crap trouble them. And I wondered, would anyone I know consider seeing it? Anyone who lives around here? Would they have any clue what they might be missing? Miyazaki's work, like Pixar's, never seems to disappoint me. There are films I like more or less but I like or even love them all.

That said, it is lighter fare than most of his other stuff. It's rated G and is a decided sweet film. My son, age 7 and rather uptight, had a couple of tense moments but that's it. I think. He doesn't speak up much until he's ready to explode. But I'm pretty sure he was okay. Anyway, see it if you can, recommend it if you like, spread the word. I hate to see us all being so danged typical as a nation known for its collective short attention span.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2009, 2:31 am

^^ Yaaye thank you very much indeedy irishwhistle. ^^ I believe I would very much love to view Ponyo, as I believe I very much enjoy many magical Studio Ghibli filmies. ^^ I was rather worried however as I am not certain when the happy film friend shall be happily released within cinemas wthin England. I believe I shall happily search for this information now. ^^ Thank you irishwhistle.

EDIT: ^^ I have happily been blessed by some news upon the internet and I believe the magical release date for the United Kingdom is currently 5th February 2010. I am very sorry if this is incorrect however. ^^ I believe I am very excited for the happy film.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Aug 2009, 4:50 am

I plan on seeing the first showing today!

The former things have passed away."

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Aug 2009, 2:09 pm

I'm so sad. I got up early, went to the store and bought a bag of M&Ms. I was sitting in the theater happy waiting for the film to begin. And then it starts. I walked after 5 minutes. The film was shaking. :( My eyes were sore after five minutes. I can't even imagine how sore they would be after an hour and a half.

This is the second time I've walked out of a theater. The first time was for Transformers 2. The bass in the speakers on the left side of the theater was blown.

What lousy quality! :(

The former things have passed away."

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2009, 3:16 pm

kxmode wrote:
I'm so sad. I got up early, went to the store and bought a bag of M&Ms. I was sitting in the theater happy waiting for the film to begin. And then it starts. I walked after 5 minutes. The film was shaking. :( My eyes were sore after five minutes. I can't even imagine how sore they would be after an hour and a half.

This is the second time I've walked out of a theater. The first time was for Transformers 2. The bass in the speakers on the left side of the theater was blown.

What lousy quality! :(

Do you mean the theater messed up, or the film itself was messed up? I mean, if it's the theater, obviously they need to be figuratively smacked around a little. They either fix it or refund your money. I guess it must have been the theater, now I think of it, because it starts with ocean scenes (including one of my favorite moments, when she gives her sister a kiss before she sets out... I just think it's adorable). Sorry it didn't go well. They do need to refund your money if something goes wrong in the theater, though. They promised a product and didn't deliver. Even if you didn't like it and walk out after 5 minutes just because of the movie itself, a gracious theater manager who wants to keep his customers happy will give you a pass for a later film. I'm not saying every theater manager or owner is that wise or gracious, but it is good business.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

BitsandWires
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Aug 2009, 3:29 am

Me and my 3 year old both loved it, and all his movies. The entire scene with the toy boat was magical :)

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2009, 2:51 pm

BitsandWires wrote:
Me and my 3 year old both loved it, and all his movies. The entire scene with the toy boat was magical :)

Yeah, I want that boat. I know, I'd never fit, and still I want that boat.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2009, 3:42 pm

irishwhistle wrote:
Please, if you have a local theater that is playing this, get over to see it!

I don't have a local theater showing it. :cry:

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2009, 12:25 am

Tollorin wrote:
irishwhistle wrote:
Please, if you have a local theater that is playing this, get over to see it!

I don't have a local theater showing it. :cry:

:(

:wall: What are these people thinking? They'll play Hannah Montana but not Miyazaki. I blush for my countrymen. :oops:

Firechick

22 Aug 2009, 7:25 am

My dad's going to take me to see Ponyo this coming Tuesday.

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Aug 2009, 6:30 pm

I strolled over and watched it immediately after taking in District 9. 8)

It's so very colorful! It was a movie that reminds you how cool you thought the water was when you were very little, and all the fun stuff you could've wished to do with, in or around the water...