Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

lucybeebee
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Sep 2009, 10:25 pm

Hi, I'm new to Wrong Planet. I was diagnosed with Asperger's when I was in college, which I guess was about six years ago. Although this diagnosis explained a lot about why I have had social skills problems in the past, the weight of this depresses me. I feel like "damaged goods" and I feel inferior to others. I hope to gain more confidence by interacting with people from this site.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 10:31 pm

lucybeebee wrote:
Hi, I'm new to Wrong Planet. I was diagnosed with Asperger's when I was in college, which I guess was about six years ago. Although this diagnosis explained a lot about why I have had social skills problems in the past, the weight of this depresses me. I feel like "damaged goods" and I feel inferior to others. I hope to gain more confidence by interacting with people from this site.

Welcome to the forum!

I am sorry you were hurt by others. What you describe is a very common experience for people with Asperger. They often have A LOT of self esteem problems as a result of years of mistreatment by others; and when they finally learn their diagnosis everything suddenly makes sense. I hope that your self esteem improves eventually as you learn more about yourself and meet others like you.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 10:37 pm

lucybeebee wrote:
I feel like "damaged goods" and I feel inferior to others.

Oh, oh, oh, no, you are not!

The only people who truly have problems are people who do not know they have problems ... and those other folks all seem to think they are okay!

Just be yourself and never mind trying to be like "them".

Gramps

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 4:06 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 7:13 am

Hello, welcome here.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 10:17 am

Welcome greetings, fellow-traveler lucybeebee, to the Wrong Planet neighborhood.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Sep 2009, 5:06 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

Mikelight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Sep 2009, 4:12 am

lucybeebee wrote:

Welcome to wrong planet!

lucybeebee, I know I can't really change how someone feels but I don't think you should feel like "damaged goods" or depressed at all. I have lots and lots of social skills problems and right now I'm trying my best to work around them. However just thinking about my life, my ways of living and doing things, the person who I am right now... I like myself, in fact I like myself a lot. If Asperger's Syndrome is to blame for who I am today then I don't mind it at all. Yeah sure, I'm a bit strange compared to most others but it's a good thing. Being different than other people is what makes life interesting.