Anyone else feel there's nobody in the world like you?

Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 7:36 pm

Does it bother you?

Every time I'm out in public I get this intuitive feeling that people are not like me at all. It's not just being on the autism spectrum either as I'm also very different from other aspies here. For one thing I'm asexual and it seems like everyone else in the world assumes I'm a regular heterosexual male. I feel like I'm missing out and it hurts. I want to be able to feel something deeply, to love, but I can't.

Lately I just feel so useless and empty and distant from everything. I get so introspective that I feel like I'm losing all my interests. And it bothers me that it doesn't seem like other people are as introspective as I am, they just seem to glide along in life without having to really think about much. Jesus, I don't even know how to articulate what I'm thinking or what's bothering me so much, it just is - painful.

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 7:45 pm

marshall wrote:
Lately I just feel so useless and empty and distant from everything. I get so introspective that I feel like I'm losing all my interests. And it bothers me that it doesn't seem like other people are as introspective as I am, they just seem to glide along in life without having to really think about much. Jesus, I don't even know how to articulate what I'm thinking or what's bothering me so much, it just is - painful.

In my case, what you've described has gotten so bad that I've sought therapy (for the 100th time), because I'm just about at the end of my rope.

~Steve Jobs

SirHeith
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Oct 2009, 8:20 pm

Right up until I read this post I did.
I think the most painful thing (at least for me) is knowing why I have all of these issues and yet I cannot figure out how to make it all stop or how to help it. :(

lucybeebee
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Oct 2009, 8:38 pm

marshall wrote:
Does it bother you?

Every time I'm out in public I get this intuitive feeling that people are not like me at all. It's not just being on the autism spectrum either as I'm also very different from other aspies here. For one thing I'm asexual and it seems like everyone else in the world assumes I'm a regular heterosexual male. I feel like I'm missing out and it hurts. I want to be able to feel something deeply, to love, but I can't.

This is basically the story of my life. I'm asexual too, and I'm constantly afraid that I'm going to be eaten by feral cats or buried in garbage like those two brothers in New York. Everyone laughs at my fears, but they're real to me. I don't know what I'm going to do, and I feel like I'm too far behind socially to ever catch up.

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 8:52 pm

marshall wrote:
Every time I'm out in public I get this intuitive feeling that people are not like me at all. It's not just being on the autism spectrum either as I'm also very different from other aspies here.
I've always been under the impression that I was the most unique human being on the planet. Maybe we're both just delusional.

gnosislogicemotion
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Oct 2009, 9:05 pm

Quote:
Does it bother you?

Are you familiar with schizoid personality 'disorder'?? Wikipedia it and see if you identify with this. It overlaps in many ways with AS and considering all these labels used in psychology are just attempts to categorize unfathomably complex alterations in neuro function it could very well be that you posess qualities of both SPD and AS as I belive I do.

I was diagnosed with AS but I also see a lot of myself in the schizoid personality type. I often feel exactly as you do. Infact, I wish you could be my friend so I'd have someone who I could truly empathize with and feel a connection to :(

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 9:31 pm

Yes, yes, yes, to all of you ...

... and after having self-diagnosed just a month ago, my feelings of “people are not like me at all” have been growing almost daily!

Am I bothered by all of this? No, not really. I do feel extremely challenged at the moment, and I am all over the place with both mental and emotional highs and lows. However, and mostly for the sake of my family, I have made contact with a well-seasoned, semi-retired counselor (or therapist or whatever – he never said) about three weeks ago. He appears to truly understand and to know what he is doing. Ultimately, however, it is my long-running dependence upon the Czar of the Heavens that keeps my feet on the ground on whatever planet.

protest_the_hero wrote:
I've always been under the impression that I was the most unique human being on the planet. Maybe we're [all] just delusional.

I am quickly beginning to believe I have some co-morbid issues ...

Wanna get in on my book?!

whipstitches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2009, 9:37 pm

Ya know... I used to fell like there was no one else like me..... and then I discovered Wrong Planet. Whenever I feel weird... I just log in and start to feel "normalized" again..... :D

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

09 Oct 2009, 10:58 pm

I can relate. I have never really connected with people (talking with people on WP is the closest I have gotten). I have never been in a relationship, though I don't believe I am asexual, I just have never gotten close enough to anyone. I do want to feel a connection with people in my life, but I can't relate to them.

I don't know how introspective I am, I try to be but I feel like a void. I go through my day and nothing leaves an impact. Its like I see everything but it leaves my mind as it leaves my sight. Nothing leaves its mark on me and I leave my mark on nothing. Don't know if that makes sense.

Ps. I looked at your profile, its nice to find someone from my area. I am in the NW too and love it up here, love taking my dogs for hikes in the rainforests. :)

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 11:24 pm

I don't even think I have much in common with others "on the spec" (i'm *officially* NVLD myself...but let's just consider that an ASD for simplicity's sake) let alone NT's

This is why i've been nothing but a lurker on WP until recently. I have yet to find one person on this earth I can remotely relate to.

Maybe i'm the sort of "person" the late occultist Dion Fortune wrote about in her book, "Psychic Self-Defense".

"A non-human"

*shrugs*

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 11:51 pm

gnosislogicemotion wrote:
Quote:
Does it bother you?

Are you familiar with schizoid personality 'disorder'?? Wikipedia it and see if you identify with this. It overlaps in many ways with AS and considering all these labels used in psychology are just attempts to categorize unfathomably complex alterations in neuro function it could very well be that you posess qualities of both SPD and AS as I belive I do.

I do think I have some qualities of SPD but when I went to a forum for SPD people it seemed that most of them didn't have any problem with who they were. I'm extremely uncomfortable with myself and it's not just self-consciousness, at least I don't think it's that alone. I feel like there's something horribly missing with me. I don't even know who or what I am. Also, I can sometimes enjoy socializing, it's just that I don't get any feeling of deep connection. Nothing really satisfies me. It's that intuitive sense telling me that "I'm different" that gets in the way. I can't completely express in words what it is but it's always there.

Quote:
I was diagnosed with AS but I also see a lot of myself in the schizoid personality type. I often feel exactly as you do. Infact, I wish you could be my friend so I'd have someone who I could truly empathize with and feel a connection to :(

I appreciate that. Feel free to PM me if you want.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2009, 1:23 am

Oh yeah I've always felt 'unique'. Hell, I've been told many times I'm 'unique'.

Before internets, the only 2 people on the planet that I thought shared my interests were two cousins of mine who live in Alberta and who I only got to see sporadically.

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2009, 7:34 pm

marshall wrote:
Does it bother you?

Mhm, it's a world of hurt and you're all alone surrounded by imbeciles.

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2009, 7:45 pm

...which is why we need to form our own society - in "real life."

~Steve Jobs

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2009, 7:49 pm

I feel that way sometimes as well.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2009, 8:04 pm

Horus wrote:
Maybe i'm the sort of "person" the late occultist Dion Fortune wrote about in her book, "Psychic Self-Defense".

"A non-human"

*shrugs*

"Humanity"'s always been defined by the thoughts and actions of NTs - so all of us on the spectrum are "non-human," by definition.

~Steve Jobs