Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

bgtbbum
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Feb 2006, 9:09 pm

Anybody enjoy listening to ska here?

I enjoy listening to The Aquabats (old stuff), Reel Big Fish, Less Than Jake, and The Toasters.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2006, 9:54 pm

The old Jamaican Rude Ska people are cool to listen to, (Symarip, Desmond Dekker, Etc) as was the Two tone revival of Ska, with bands like The Specials, Madness, The Selecter, UB-40, The (English) Beat, and bands such as that.

However, I think that Ska, like Punk in this day and age is pretty much played out as a cultural phenomenon, and the current offerings are really nothing more than commercial commodities which are far removed from the subversive cultural and political statements that they originally were.

Sorry but the new stuff really doesn't do anything for me.

oatwillie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Feb 2006, 7:27 am

"The Israelites" from Desmond Decker is among the greatest songs ever recorded and it always makes my pants wanna get up and dance!

Sacred Cows make the tastiest hambuger.

visualize whirled peas

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2006, 10:16 pm

Is Cake ska?

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2006, 11:46 am

Sarcastic_Name wrote:
Is Cake ska?

Actually no. I would suggest that if you want to hear Ska, you run out and get either the first CD by The Specials (Produced by Elvis Costello) or The Specials Singles CD. Either of them are as good an Introduction to Ska as you will find.

Ska has been around since the early sixties, and much of it sounds like upbeat Reggae with a very pronounced Motown R&B Influence. --I tend to prefer the Two Tone Ska from the Late 70's of which The Specials are an excellent example of the Genre.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2006, 12:02 am

I enjoy Ska.

happydeadmonkey
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Mar 2006, 12:28 am

NYC Ska is the absolute best new stuff coming out right now. King Django - Anything from Stubborn Records and Jump Up Records.

I recently purchased the first release from Tri-State-Conspiracy, some of the best stuff in 10 years.

Locally, we have Latin-Fusion Ska, particularly Los Skarnales. Get into the grittier stuff.

....And don't let anyone tell you that "No Doubt" is Ska.

bunny
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Mar 2006, 5:09 am

I love ska....the specials were great as was madness ... Some bands similar to the style of madness are in the Uk charts atm.. Ordinary boys etc. I predict a revival of the 2nd mod era. Listen to the kaiser chiefs, babyshambles, arctic monkeys for instance. Can imagine my vespa now.

Dreadneck
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Mar 2006, 1:25 pm

I'm a big time Rocksteady fan. Rocksteady in a lot of ways is more like Rockabilly or something, soulful, stripped down not trying to Rock you ass off like metal or trying to zone you out like Reggae. Its THE perfect dance marathon music. The Melodians, Alton Ellis, Ken Booth, Treasure Isle and Studio 1. Gotta love that stuff. Might sound weird for an Aspie but I went to go see the Melodians at a show and they were off the hook, only problem was I didn't have a dance partner and Rocksteady is partner up music. I begged desperately for a dance partner but to no avail. :( If only drinks were a little cheaper I might have got my bashment on. Yes I really am an Aspie, just a crazy bold horny one.

ooohprettycolors
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2006, 9:58 pm

I am a gigantic huge fan of The Aquabats! (And an official aquacadet of 6 years) Of course, only their first 2 cds were ska influenced, and that began 12 years ago, so all in all they are not a ska band. But man are they good! They don't have horns anymore, and some people complain, but as much as i love the old stuff too, i don't miss the horns. The new CD, Charge!! is excellent. I like quite a bit of ska too, but i don't really know anything about music. i just like it.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2006, 11:55 am

Man, I love ska. Madness and The Specials are the only ones I know. I should broaden the ska genre just a little bit :oops: nevertheless I enjoy it.

tikidweller
Raven
Raven

16 Sep 2006, 1:57 pm

Wooo ska kicks ass! I saw Less Than Jake at the Vans Warped Tour

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2006, 2:32 am

Not into ska too much, but I have to admit that the Voodoo Glow Skulls are good ...

- Ray M -

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2006, 2:49 pm

anyone who wants to hear real ska needs to go out and buy or download some skatalites or prince buster.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2006, 4:30 pm

hi there

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2006, 4:44 pm

you pick him up, you lick him down, him bounce right back, what a hard man fe dead! :lol:

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith