Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

snowman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2006, 9:12 pm

Figure this is the best forum to put this thread in. How did you learn to read.

I remember that quite intensly. I cant remember much from that age but i remember that well.
I figured that i did not receive all the information that everyone else did so i had to learn to read, i remember that i was not bitter by this fact, i was probably better psychologicly balanced at that age. I knew what the letters where for so i asked my aunt how it worked (not one of my parents who where in the same room for some reason, figure she was simply the closest one from the door). She explained it to me and said what all the letters on the bookcover i had was. After that i stared at this bookcover untill i fell asleap. The day after i spent looking at the bookshelf to see if i could read the covers. And after a while the words which i did not understand did not distress me that i did not read right.

Dunno why i wanted to type this down

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2006, 1:35 am

I learned to read almost like you, I think. I know I spent hours alternatively staring at an alphabet book and the books on the bookshelf. I also asked my mother what the letters meant, and I watched over my dad's shoulder as he read outloud to me every night. It took a few weeks, but soon I was able to read fairly accurately, although pronunciation was a little more difficult to grasp than the basic syntax of a sentence, especially since I didn't like to talk.

That I taught myself to read didn't seem to impress my parents that much, though, as the real thing they liked to parade about was my photographic memory for pictures and how I could look at a picture in one magazine or book and run over the shelf and pull out the same picture in another magazine or book. I wonder if that is connected to teaching myself how to read...hmm. Or maybe I just have a good head for detail retention and pattern recognition.

Learning to read was the best thing I've ever done, as I've not put down a book since.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2006, 2:48 am

I don't remember learning how to read, because I don't remember a lot of things from when I was 3. However, my mother says I learned how to read quite suddenly; it probably had a lot to do with her reading to me at least a quarter of an hour every day, so that I had a lot of exposure with the connection between words and their meanings. I was reading adult books by age 5, regularly by age 9.

I remember being 9 years old and reading the autobiography of a girl who had broken her neck at age 17, thinking it silly that she initially assumed she was going to die, and reveling in the medical jargon (some of which I knew from reading my mother's medical texts). By the time the writer was out of the rehabilitation hospital, I lost interest in the story; as thereafter it consisted almost completely of interpersonal relationships.

I've heard that "hyperlexia"--a large vocabulary and early speech, often accompanied by a lack of understanding of the nuances of speech--is often a feature of Asperger's; does this term extend to reading as well as speech?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2006, 3:54 am

I can't recall having to struggle to learn to read at all and was reading, according to my parents, by the age of three.

An extra factor for me was that I was born short-sighted, and anything over a few feet away was not of great interest. Even with spectacles, as they were perpetually out-of-date, this effect was not eliminated.

At school aged five, I was about the only child in my class who could read, which did not help my integration either.

odeon
Toucan
Toucan

12 Feb 2006, 9:56 am

I learned to read from various neon signs while sitting in our car and waiting for my parents out on errands. I was three. I moved from neon signs to books within months. :)

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2006, 10:49 am

I don't remember that far back. I do remember being the only kid in my Kindergarten class who could read. My mom tells me I started reading at age 3.

BladeX
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Feb 2006, 12:42 pm

I don't really recall how I learned to read. I do know my mom read to me a lot when I was younger which probably helped. I don't think I can say I was reading much of anything at 3, although I was fascinated with looking through National Geographics. I do know by grade one I was reading in french and english though.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2006, 1:27 pm

Mrs. Glenn, my first grade teacher. :)

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2006, 5:54 pm

I remember in 1st grade learning how to read. I think I eventually mastered reading when I came to know all the sounds of the words from saying them and through straight learning and how they flowed together in different words and what not. I'm learning Spanish at the moment, although I really wanted to learn German; it wasn't offered at my high school. But I guess that will be my next language I'll learn; it would be cool being considered as trilingual, or cuadralingual if I want to learn another (like Latin or something).

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2006, 6:17 pm

According to my mom, I first learned how to read through association. I would see a word and recognize it instead as an object with a sound attached to it.

LowShoe
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Feb 2006, 2:05 pm

No conscious memory of learning to read, however I peg it at age 4 because I remember being puzzled and fascinated by the illegible (to me) sign on my daycare building. My mother says it was largely through TV comercials, and recalls a 7-Up commercial with which I was fascinated. It seems a natural way to learn... words in ads are often simple, spelled out visually and repeated ad nauseum.

I would also imitate one of the older kids my mom babysat, holding a book and pretending to read to other kids (which I do remember). By kindergarten those phonics handouts I kept getting in class seemed a waste of time.

dexkaden wrote:
Learning to read was the best thing I've ever done, as I've not put down a book since.

Forget reading - how do you type!!? [/self-serving literalistic humor, you may proceed to slap me now :twisted:]

Sorce
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2006, 2:35 pm

I learned how to read in the first grade. I was behind in class, so the teacher made me remain behind in the classroom to figure it out on my own. It frustrated me so badly because all I saw were squiggly lines and I couldn't make anything out of it. So I'm sitting by myself in a corner while the class was playing outside, and all of a sudden I saw words. And that's how the addiction started.

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2006, 8:11 pm

No idea - probably the same as the rest of th class, but I don't know. I d know that in yr 3 I was a bit miffed that the mos idfficult book the school had for reading was 'The Owl who was afraid of the Dark' which I found relatively easy. That's age ... 7, I think. I loved Enid Blyton though lol, though she was mostly not challenging ... :roll:

Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Apr 2006, 8:25 am

learning to read was very important for me, too. i was four and it took me a few weeks to learn it. i knew language already when i was four, but i hardly ever said a word before learning to read, because of i just didnt get the reason for doing it.

i wasnt very intelligent as a kid and my only hobbies were sitting in a basket for hours (i loved that), watching the rain (i still find that fascinating today) and painting.

having found out that there were these signs that somehow referred to words (the first time i realized that was when my mother made a list of things she would have to buy this week) i became very interested in that and got on my mothers nerves about it every day, until she finally told me what the letters meant.

telling me how to read was after all the best thing she could have done, because of it was the only way to make me talk and also to calm me down. having to read out the list of things in the supermarket prevented me from screaming as i normally did, because of i had to concentrate on what the words meant and what we already had collected and what we still had to look for.

i also read out the stuff on shampoo bottles and soapthings (indigrets and whatever) when i was in bath, which helped my mother to get me clean without having to hear me screaming like someone was killing me (i can hardly stand getting touched and the watertemperature was always to warm).

i wasnt interested in the books i was given at first, because i didnt understand the stories. the only book i really loved was a book about birds, one of these with latin name, description and facts about the bird (and all the birds had a number and a picture).

Rhisiart_Steffan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2006, 8:33 am

I think I clicked like the frist week when we start to read but I got the sounds muddled up during to chronic cycles of ear infection.

Pharmacy Techican is not the pharmacist

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2006, 8:38 am

The first books I remember reading, after picture books, were about computer programming (Atari basic).