Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 2:03 pm

I either choose the wrong forums or they're not meant for me because I have vastly differing ideas about stuff but when I post something (not on this forum) that a moderator doesn't like, they'll up and delete the whole thread instead of locking it and explaining why.

And I hate forums with reputation. You make a comment someone doesn't agree with and they give you "red" for all the world to see.

I hate forums and I wish there was a better, friendlier way of conveying opinions and thoughts than with them and their users who are very snobby. People who have been there for a long time and have a mile long "green" reputation are always free to express their opinions, no matter how controversial or uptight.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 2:16 pm

just post "casual talk about school shooting" = win

07 Nov 2009, 2:27 pm

digger1 wrote:
I either choose the wrong forums or they're not meant for me because I have vastly differing ideas about stuff but when I post something (not on this forum) that a moderator doesn't like, they'll up and delete the whole thread instead of locking it and explaining why.

And I hate forums with reputation. You make a comment someone doesn't agree with and they give you "red" for all the world to see.

I hate forums and I wish there was a better, friendlier way of conveying opinions and thoughts than with them and their users who are very snobby. People who have been there for a long time and have a mile long "green" reputation are always free to express their opinions, no matter how controversial or uptight.

I don't care for karma/rep. I just ignore it and if someone wants to take it from me, go ahead. I take it as I got to them.

Vladisvok
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2009, 6:11 pm

digger1 wrote:

I've never understood the reputation system on forums, what's even more annoying is the people who claim that it's a "nice addition to the forum", how does it add anything? It's useless and just winds people up.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 7:53 pm

Vladisvok wrote:
digger1 wrote:

I've never understood the reputation system on forums, what's even more annoying is the people who claim that it's a "nice addition to the forum", how does it add anything? It's useless and just winds people up.
There is NT thinking for you! Doesn't make any sense to me. :roll:

Celtic_Frost
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2009, 8:55 pm

Not only does the popular users on the forums who have a "long line of green reputation" get away with their controversial opinions, people, like sheep, embrace them and agree with them!

I hate forums. Full of sheep who follow the mods and the users who have thousands upon thousands of posts while newbies like me who try to be themselves either get ignored or spat in the face. The users on the forums I dislike the most are the moderators and administrators. Their system encourages the social status quo that... well... erm... I forgot...

But you get my point! :x

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 8:58 pm

I used to be a mod on the forum and the admin was trying to encourage me to be mean to the members and I wouldn't do it, so I left.

What I hate are fake topics... like I got to this video game forum and someone posted a topic saying "I talked to the designer of the game" and I click on it and it says "Angnix go away and find a boyfriend" 8O :lol:

topic was deleted by a mod eventually

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 9:16 pm

Angnix wrote:
I used to be a mod on the forum and the admin was trying to encourage me to be mean to the members and I wouldn't do it, so I left.

good for you! :thumleft:

normally_impaired
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2009, 9:33 pm

I've been considering starting a new site along the idea of the former "Aspergian" forums where there was little or no moderation and everybody was free to say whatever they want with no concequences other than getting flamed back by other forum members. It wasn't a family-friendly place, but I did like the fact that I didn't have to try so hard to tone down my normal typing style like I do here, instead I could just say exactly what was on my mind and not recieve warnings from mods/admins. I liked that a lot more since everybody was free to say whatever they wanted, and everybody else was free to reply however they wanted.

It was interesting to see how people would post rants full of swears and everyone would only care about what was being said, not the way it was being said. I work in construction and typically swear like a sailor, not to be offensive, it's just the way that everyone around me talks. Just typing this message is hard for me because I have to put so much effort into choosing words that won't appear on the radar. When I didn't have to worry about that, it was just so much easier.

Maybe once I start making the real money (I work at a ski area and it's not winter yet) I'll get some server space and start a new forum for that purpose, I'll moderate it only to prevent spam and abuse of the forum itself. The code of conduct won't say much except "don't spam, and don't hack the forum". Look for it in a few months.

I will say that I like wrongplanet a lot more than Aspies for Freedom, the moderator there wasn't just trying to keep the forum clean, he would lock threads and ban users simply for posting opinions that he disagreed with.

07 Nov 2009, 10:07 pm

On another forum I go to, this member kept bitching about his rep because people would neg rep him. They did that because he was an ass and it was his choice of words, not his opinions or honesty. So he b***h about losing his rep and not even change his ways and it go soooo annoying. I decided if he b*****s about it again, I will start neg repping him about it because it's damn annoying. I also said on there if you b***h about your karma or rep, people will more likely neg rep you or take away your karma. But then he got banned due to his behavior. The mods had talked with him and he has refused to change his ways so they banned him because he wouldn't moderate himself. I'm surprised he never bitched about being banned.

Hey if the karma/rep system weren't anonymous, people would be doing it a lot less because they're cowards. I2 no longer has the anonymous karma system so people have been negging people less. I have only had very few karma taken from me.

Quote:
I've been considering starting a new site along the idea of the former "Aspergian" forums where there was little or no moderation and everybody was free to say whatever they want with no concequences other than getting flamed back by other forum members. It wasn't a family-friendly place, but I did like the fact that I didn't have to try so hard to tone down my normal typing style like I do here, instead I could just say exactly what was on my mind and not recieve warnings from mods/admins. I liked that a lot more since everybody was free to say whatever they wanted, and everybody else was free to reply however they wanted.

Uh that place already exists. it's called Intensity Squared (aspie place). I can send you the link to that place if you are interested. But people there can be pretty bad and they do not want people who whine about their problems or about life or else they nail you for it. Just don't go there when you are going through one of your sensitive phases. It is not a support forum.
There is also Zomg Aspies which is also not a support site.

normally_impaired
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Nov 2009, 2:24 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Quote:

Uh that place already exists. it's called Intensity Squared (aspie place). I can send you the link to that place if you are interested. But people there can be pretty bad and they do not want people who whine about their problems or about life or else they nail you for it. Just don't go there when you are going through one of your sensitive phases. It is not a support forum.

I just joined and already I like it a lot. I don't really have "sensitive phases", well I do, but I call them "liquor binges" since that's what they usually turn into anyway. It's people whining about their problems that bores me to death with this site. Granted I like this site a lot more than AFF where it's all people saying "people say mean things to me" followed by 15 pages of "you're better than them, they just don't realize it" and "maybe you should sit down and talk with them so they'll understand you better", two things that don't work in the majority of situations. I even got temporarily banned for responding to one such thread with "an uppercut to the jaw will prevent them from saying any more mean things". I'm not really looking for support, but more for a community of like-minded individuals, intensity squared seems like a good fit.

Last edited by normally_impaired on 08 Nov 2009, 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

normally_impaired
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Nov 2009, 2:24 am

double post

08 Nov 2009, 3:54 am

normally_impaired wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:
Quote:

I just joined and already I like it a lot. I don't really have "sensitive phases", well I do, but I call them "liquor binges" since that's what they usually turn into anyway. It's people whining about their problems that bores me to death with this site. Granted I like this site a lot more than AFF where it's all people saying "people say mean things to me" followed by 15 pages of "you're better than them, they just don't realize it" and "maybe you should sit down and talk with them so they'll understand you better", two things that don't work in the majority of situations. I even got temporarily banned for responding to one such thread with "an uppercut to the jaw will prevent them from saying any more mean things". I'm not really looking for support, but more for a community of like-minded individuals, intensity squared seems like a good fit.

Okay. Sometimes newbies join and they post stuff there you see here or anywhere else that is on a support forum not even realizing it's not a support place. They usually run because they didn't like what they were gettingand some leave because they didn't like what they saw there. I don't be mean to them or anything, others do.

Tach
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Nov 2009, 5:35 am

One of the websites I work at has a forum, and whoo boy have I got in some philosophical fights. It's always classic to see the developers of overpriced software yell at people like me because we think rather than just yelling about pirates, the devs need to think outside the box to get people to go legit... At least there isn't rep there though, otherwise judging by how those people like me over there, they would have given me -9001 rep by now. Luckily, since I started the thread with my staff account, no one has gone overboard or removed the thread, but I know what those devs are thinking, they all want me fired because I think outside the box...