The atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki (your views)

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2009, 4:30 pm

What are your views on the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in Japan at the end of ww2?
Do you believe that the Americans did it out of neccessity?
Do you believe it was a huge act of terrorism?
Do you believe it was both things mentioned above but it was appropriate action?
Inappropriate action?

I personally believe that while it saved lives in the end, the intention of the Americans were not genuine. I heard that the Americans were going to continue to drop nukes on Japan if it didn't surrender so that means that had the Japanese not surrendered, the US would've caused a genocide. Besides, the US commited other crimes against humanity by mutilating the bodies of dead Japanese soldiers and and playing around with them. So in conlusion, at that time period, the Americans were dehumanising the Japanese people, not that I'm saying that the Japanese treated others really well though...

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2009, 5:11 pm

jc6chan wrote:
What are your views on the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in Japan at the end of ww2?
Do you believe that the Americans did it out of neccessity?
Do you believe it was a huge act of terrorism?
Do you believe it was both things mentioned above but it was appropriate action?
Inappropriate action?

I personally believe that while it saved lives in the end, the intention of the Americans were not genuine. I heard that the Americans were going to continue to drop nukes on Japan if it didn't surrender so that means that had the Japanese not surrendered, the US would've caused a genocide. Besides, the US commited other crimes against humanity by mutilating the bodies of dead Japanese soldiers and and playing around with them. So in conlusion, at that time period, the Americans were dehumanising the Japanese people, not that I'm saying that the Japanese treated others really well though...

The nuclear bombings got the attention of the Japanese leadership. The result: our occupation of Japan was unopposed. A million allied lives were saved and incidentally many Japanese lives were saved. If we did not use A-Bombs we would have used gas and chemical weapons, which President Truman authorized. Possible 10 to 35 million Japanese would have been killed.

We were thoroughly justified in doing what we did: Two words: Pearl Harbor.

ruveyn

weatherman90
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Nov 2009, 5:14 pm

The real question should be should we start war at all? Does it really matter if millions of people die by bombings, drownings, shooting, does it really matter is murder justifiable? No what would have saved millions of lives would have been no war at all.

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2009, 5:15 pm

All is fair in love and war.

:twisted:

showman616
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Nov 2009, 5:51 pm

An important and difficult question.

Lets do a thought experiment. Suppose the manhatten project had failed, and using the atomic bomb had not been an option. What wouldve happened?

The islands of Japan wouldve been blockaded by the US navy making Japan into one huge Leningrad- with civilians dying of starvation the whole length of the country.

The US army aircorps wouldve continued its strategic bombing campain against Japan.
A lot of Americans dont even realize that over 300 thousand japanese civilians had already been incinerated by amercan bombs even before we dropped the first A-bomb- and half of that nation's cities were already more than half flattened by conventional bombs and naplam.
MacNamara said "had we lost the war we wouldve been charged with war crimes".

Then we wouldve launched the actual ground invasion of the Japanese home islands.

We dont know if the Japanese wouldve continued fighting to the death like they did throughout the pacific war-or if they wouldve cracked and capitulated sooner than normal. But optimistically this final campain coupled with the above starvation air war wouldve taken atleast two years. Atleast a 100 thousand americans, and probably atleast a million Japanese soldiers and civilians wouldve died.

So - thank god for the A bomb! Like you said -it actually saved alot of lives on both sides.

Also- if Japan had taken too long to surrender- Soviet Russia mightve gotten into the Pacific War. Russia did take possesion of North Korea. Had there been no bomb Russia mightve siezed part of Japan itsself and carved out somthing like East Germany out of Japan.

Finnally- if you read about Japanese atrocities in their war of agression in China (that lead to the war in the Pacific with America) -notabaly a recent book about the Rape of Nanking ( a city where the Japanese army murdered atleast as many civilians as died at Hiroshima) -well- I cant help thinking that the only mistake we made was crewing the enola gay with americans.

We shouldve given the pleasure of nuking Japan to a crew of Chinese airmen!
I know-two wrongs dont make a right- but -what goes around comes around.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2009, 5:54 pm

War is a dirty business the fact that they did not surrender after the first one speaks volumes. I had two uncles who would have been in the invasion if there had been one and I for one am glad they didn't have to. Look up how they fought on the other islands like Okinawa to get a feel for what it would have been like. And lets not forget the rape of Nanking if you want to talk war crimes or the use of biological weapons on the Chinese. It was war they would have done the same if they had the option

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2009, 6:16 pm

showman616 wrote:

We dont know if the Japanese wouldve continued fighting to the death

Then how did the US know if they would've surrendered after 2 A-bombs? I believe America just "got lucky" that the Japanese surrendered after 2 a-bombs. I mean what would've the americans done if Japan didn't surrender? Would they just stop dropping a-bombs and continue fighting conventionally? If they continued with the 3rd and 4th a-bomb and so on, then it wouldn't have saved lives in the end and Japan would become a radioactive wasteland.

david_42
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Nov 2009, 6:34 pm

Necessary. The Japanese military was more than willing to fight until every one of them was dead.

And there were no other bombs. We only had two and it would have taken months to make more.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2009, 6:42 pm

weatherman90 wrote:
The real question should be should we start war at all? Does it really matter if millions of people die by bombings, drownings, shooting, does it really matter is murder justifiable? No what would have saved millions of lives would have been no war at all.

We didn't start the war. Japan attacked us, not the other way around.

My grandfather fought in the Pacific front during WWII. He was involved in a rescue operation to liberate prisoners from a Japanese camp- at the time they were rescued, the prisoners were all severely malnourished and had been employed by the Japanese in digging a mass grave for themselves. Had the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki not occurred and forced Japan to surrender, my grandfather was going to take a brand new tank (resources were freed up after victory in Europe) and go wreak havoc on the Japanese mainland, accompanied by the rest of the US army and the full force of Soviet military might. A lot more people would have died that way.

weatherman90
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Nov 2009, 6:59 pm

Orwell wrote:
weatherman90 wrote:

We didn't start the war. Japan attacked us, not the other way around.

My grandfather fought in the Pacific front during WWII. He was involved in a rescue operation to liberate prisoners from a Japanese camp- at the time they were rescued, the prisoners were all severely malnourished and had been employed by the Japanese in digging a mass grave for themselves. Had the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki not occurred and forced Japan to surrender, my grandfather was going to take a brand new tank (resources were freed up after victory in Europe) and go wreak havoc on the Japanese mainland, accompanied by the rest of the US army and the full force of Soviet military might. A lot more people would have died that way.

Yes, that's a great justification we just got hundred's of people killed, oh here the solution lets kill millions. It just created a positive feedback. War is all about who has the bigger pe*is isn't it? Well i guess we won.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2009, 6:59 pm

My RE teacher said that the bomb was supposed to be used on Germany, but then Germany surrendered so America used the bomb on Japan instead. Then she said that the war with Japan was just about to end anyway, but she didn't elaborate on this and it seems to go against everything else I've ever heard about it, so I'll have to look it up at some point. I'm kind of annoyed that she brought up these two points without clarification or evidence, as they are both very important things to consider.

I have no firm opinion either way. On the one hand, I think it is wrong to slaughter innocent civilians. On the other hand, it is true that the bombings (maybe?) ended the war and therefore saved lives, and also could have indirectly saved lives since, because nobody has dared use nukes again because of how much damage they cause.

y es como un semestre"

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2009, 7:10 pm

Even a brief search through the internet reveals that Japan was on the point of surrender before the bombs were dropped. Many military leaders at the time have indicated that the purpose of dropping the bombs was to demonstrate to the USSR that the USA was not to be seen as weak. As noted, there were no more than two bombs.
Undoubtedly the Japanese military machine and the government was a cruel and immoral group who were responsible for many horrors but I wonder if the USA and its allies should use that as sufficient grounds to demonstrate that they could be equally as vicious. As with the recent Bush administration, it seems to me that mindless brutality is no grounds for further mindless brutality.
Christianity provides some worthwhile directives in that area.

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2009, 8:00 pm

Sand wrote:

Yes, an eye for an eye...

Or did you mean turn the other cheek?

I'm sorry, I can make christianity mean whatever I want.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

24 Nov 2009, 8:10 pm

Absolutely necessary. A ground invasion would of cost hundreds of thousands of lives probably even more than a million. The Soviets would of no doubt been involved and would probably occupy half of the country which would of doomed that part of the country to their brutal occupation and no doubt civil war later. I don't know if the Japanese would of fought to the death but I know they would of wanted to cause mass casualties on any invader before they did.

I've read that they would of had another bomb ready later in August and 3 more in September and 3 more in October if Japan had not surrendered so that's a little different that what I'm hearing in this thread.

Just thank god for nuclear weapons every day. They're the only reason we're not on like WW8.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2009, 8:39 pm

TheOddGoat wrote:
Sand wrote:

Yes, an eye for an eye...

Or did you mean turn the other cheek?

I'm sorry, I can make christianity mean whatever I want.

You seem to have some difficulty discerning between the Old and New Testament.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2009, 8:45 pm

jc6chan wrote:
showman616 wrote:

We dont know if the Japanese wouldve continued fighting to the death

Then how did the US know if they would've surrendered after 2 A-bombs? I believe America just "got lucky" that the Japanese surrendered after 2 a-bombs. I mean what would've the americans done if Japan didn't surrender? Would they just stop dropping a-bombs and continue fighting conventionally? If they continued with the 3rd and 4th a-bomb and so on, then it wouldn't have saved lives in the end and Japan would become a radioactive wasteland.

To hazard a strategic guess, the third a-bomb would have fallen upon Tokyo, and thus the centre of government, and the emperor himself. The complete obliteration of the whole upper command structure of the Japanese empire would surely have had a more than passing effect on the war effort... not to mention the continuning health of the emperor.