What does your special interest say about you?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 1:25 pm

I know everyone has different special interests. I think there's more 'variety' among Aspies than among NTs, as it seems to me it is much harder to be 'molded'. But do you identify with any of your interests? Why do you have that particular interest?

One of mine, Isabel I of Castile, possibly because she and her husband are known as the Catholic Monarchs. She was a strong woman, a warrior, a queen in her own right, not just a queen consort, and most importantly, her religion had quite a role in her life. I really do wish Catholicism had a much bigger influence in my life.

Another is, of course, kitty cats. :lol: Possibly because they kind of live in their own world, a bit like me. As I once heard someone say, cats 'hear voices inside their heads, and they obey them'. Never can quite work out what goes through those funny minds of theirs. And they're everything I'm not. They're graceful, they're agile, they have keener senses. I do envy Sabrina who has a talking cat, and Catwoman, as she seems to be able to 'comunicate' with them.

Vyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 2:11 pm

Well, my interest in gaming and computers says I'm a gamer and a geek.

My interest in the sciences says I'm a geek and I like to learn.

I'm not sure what my interest in psychology and sexology could say, other than extreme curiousity in things that pertain to me and things I do not have/understand.

My interest in fantasy and sci-fi, particularly with certain characters who have facets that I share traits in could be used in a way to identify me.

I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity flourish.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 3:46 pm

I love The Kinks, I like the music from The British Invasion. I'm obsessed with Swinging London and Carnaby Street. I also like the unisex Mod-type fashions from the Mid 1960s. My special interests say that I'm a Mod. 8)

JamesM7
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Dec 2009, 4:31 pm

I really don't know what my interests say about me, short of they make up my personality.

They are:
Music (all aspects, including: theory, writing, listening, acoustics, history, performing, etc.)
Vlad Dracul
History of Russia
Romanticism in art
Charles Manson

Elementary_Physics
Toucan
Toucan

02 Dec 2009, 5:52 pm

Oh! I like this question.

My more intense special interests include:
Joy Division
Epilepsy
MRSA
Hair growth
and Quantum Physics

Joy Division because I love the band, and Epilepsy because my favorite author Dostoevsky and Ian Curtis had it, and my Chihuahua has it.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 6:00 pm

My interests are so varied and yet so bland that it shows why I lack a personality :P

DannyM
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Dec 2009, 6:32 pm

My interests:

Music in all forms
Photography, especially manual camera mechanics
The weather forecast
Film Noir
Trivia Pursuit
And Horror (lit, movies, tv shows, etc.)

invisibitsy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2009, 7:08 pm

persian85033 wrote:
But do you identify with any of your interests? Why do you have that particular interest?

My special interest is the study of consciousness, more specifically those states achieved through mysticism. This is my special interest because, as I've come to understand it, that which makes up what I call "me" has not really much to do with an individual "me" at all. There has been not only comprehension but experiential realization of this. It's been a fascinating trip so far and I think the rabbit hole naturally intends to suck me in continuously further... 8O

Irishlass99
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2009, 7:48 pm

My interests:

British royal history (Tudors, Plantagenets, Windsors).
*any historical fiction or non fiction about British royal history)

biographies

Baseball

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Dec 2009, 9:17 pm

My roller coasters and amusement parks probably say that even though I am 45 years old, I am still a child at heart.

My house plans offer me cozy places to imagine living in my own comfort zones.

My music is the comfort zone I have in the NT world. I communicate my emotions through music.

My writing---that's special. I can create whatever I dream up in my writing. My writing ties in with my large HO model train layout. The town I am building in HO scale is a setting for my novel. This resort town (with amusement park) is something I would loved to have built for real---but since I don't have the money to do that, I am settling for HO scale.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 10:37 pm

This is a hard one....

That I like firearms?

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 11:40 pm

Let's see my interests are:

Autism- that says I'm a little self absorbed because I didn't care about it until I found out I was on the spectrum.

Drawing- that says I like to escape into my own world. I think about this world in such detail, I have to put it on paper.

Music- that says I like music. More specifically, right now I'm obsessed with Lady Gaga, so that says I'm a little weird (big surprise)

Ballet- that says I'm very artistic (3 out of 4 obsessions are art) and that I like to keep in shape.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 7:12 am

My interests are

ポルノグラフィー
anime

obsessions
Green Day

casual interest
AV-Audio/Video meaning tv shows/movies/music

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 1:31 pm

Elementary_Physics wrote:
Oh! I like this question.

My more intense special interests include:
Joy Division
Epilepsy
MRSA
Hair growth
and Quantum Physics

Joy Division because I love the band, and Epilepsy because my favorite author Dostoevsky and Ian Curtis had it, and my Chihuahua has it.

DAAAANNNYYYYYYY EEELLLLLLFFFFFMMMMMAAAANNNNNNNNNNN!! !! !! !! !! !! ! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 2:10 pm

My MOST INTESNE interests are

Isabel
Cats

More casual interests
the Moon
Autism/Epilepsy
Reading in General(I love to read just about anything, its the reading thats fun) :lol:
Certain cartoons, no younger than maybe 2000
Drawing
Writing
Telenovelas

the Moon connects quite a few of my more casual interests[Sailor Moon, history of menstruation(I can never get my cycle regular), Catwoman(her name means 'moon', so she kind of combines kitties and the moon)], and Selenography

I have both as and epilepsy(among other things)

Cartoons, drawing, and telenovelas, probably to 'escape' into my own world

And in my writing I can kind of 'interact' through and with the characters, I guess that's kind of my lack of socialization, and wanting more predictability in people's responses

03 Dec 2009, 6:02 pm

I've been obsessed about AS for 10 years now. I realize I was into it when I was 14 because I used to ask at that age if someone had more AS than me whenever I hear that someone else has it. I also asked what I be like if I had more. Then I'd be happy I didn't have much in me compare to what my mom and my school counselor say about it such as "I'd be hurting peoples feelings and not care" "I wouldn't be in choir because I wouldn't understand what be going on."
But I've found out that stuff was inaccurate after joining these forums and I learned since I was 14 I do say rude things and don't even know it and I used to go around telling people they're fat when it come to my mind and I did stupid s**t like spraying kids with a garden hose and not understanding why it was wrong and I did things to kids and not even understand. My mom says I just didn't care. But thank goodness I quit doing those things.

But ironically I was never obsessed about my other conditions and ones I've been diagnosed with in the past; depression, anxiety, ADD, dyspraxia, language processing disorder, sensory processing disorder, cluttering. I have read about all of them but didn't focus on them.

Now my interests are:
AAGPBL
A league of Their Own
Writing
Being on the Internet
Watching TV

That's all I mainly do.

I've been avoiding Benny & Joon except for my crossover and I still have to look at the movie posters due to them being up still.

Last edited by Spokane_Girl on 04 Dec 2009, 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.