WTH??? ARG!! ! The suck! It BURNS!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

WenchMama
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Dec 2009, 11:13 am

I had a long night, last night, and I'm not at my best this morning.

"Someone" (probably one of the other parents in my two youngest's play group) called in a complaint to the police that my children are being neglected and/or abused, that the house is "filthy" (ie: animal crap, no food, dirty dishes... all BS, tyvm), and also made an accusation of drug use in the house (Drugs? Really? Me? WTFH? I've -never- touched drugs!). So we had the cops over twice yesterday to convince them that my kids are -fine- and that the house is clean and safe for the kids and, no, there's no drug use going on.

Thanks. Nice to know that getting a diagnosis of Asperger's means my kids are being neglected.

Yeah. They came over -twice- in one day. I'm about ready to slap the police department with harassment. This is the 10th time this year alone that they've come to "investigate". There has -never- been anything wrong with either the kids or my house. Why they continue to do these pointless "investigations" continues to elude me. You'd think that they'd have better things to do with their time than investigate me, when there's other -serious- crimes going on and they -know- that our house has never had a problem.

The base of the reasons for the complaint? (And, yes, I asked until I got the basic reason.) "There was concern because your youngest daughter acted afraid of adults and doesn't interact with other children."

I'm just soooooooooo pissed, right now.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 11:53 am

Dude, I'm with you. WTFH??? Thats harrasment there, you could try calling in to the supervisor or police commisioners office. If they have come ten times in one year, and found nothing then maybe, just maybe... THERES NOTHING TO FIND.

Besides, if it was such a big deal, why isn't social services keeping a tab on you with random home visits?

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

robinhood
Toucan
Toucan

18 Dec 2009, 1:20 pm

Do you have a disability rights advocacy service anywhere in your region? If so, maybe you could contact them and ask them to look into what's happening, or at least to give you some advice what to do about the police.

It sounds like a terrible experience. I hope it gets resolved for you soon.

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 3:17 pm

It's not the police that are harassing you, it's the people calling them. The police must respond to a reported situation.

That being said, police are people too and quite reasonable ones. By now, you probably know the local officers in your region. Raise their awareness about Autism, Asperger's, and the likelihood that your children also have some degree of the same condition you do. You'll find there is far less grilling when they understand that there is a cause for your kids not being social butterflies. They may even stop responding of their own accord and tell the complainant(s) that they're not looking into it further.

If you want to be proactive, convey this information when you call the super. You'll get more results and be taken more seriously.

In an NT household, this behavior could be a 'red flag'. In an AS home, this is simply the status quo.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 4:02 pm

I'm slightly confuse the police are involved when there is no mention of trained social workers

WenchMama
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Dec 2009, 6:25 pm

ViperaAspis wrote:
It's not the police that are harassing you, it's the people calling them. The police must respond to a reported situation.

That being said, police are people too and quite reasonable ones. By now, you probably know the local officers in your region. Raise their awareness about Autism, Asperger's, and the likelihood that your children also have some degree of the same condition you do. You'll find there is far less grilling when they understand that there is a cause for your kids not being social butterflies. They may even stop responding of their own accord and tell the complainant(s) that they're not looking into it further.

If you want to be proactive, convey this information when you call the super. You'll get more results and be taken more seriously.

In an NT household, this behavior could be a 'red flag'. In an AS home, this is simply the status quo.

They've been told many times. I'm in a medium-sized city with a very "small-town" personality. I've seen most of the officers a few times... but they're -always- pushy and argumentative.

0_equals_true wrote:
I'm slightly confuse the police are involved when there is no mention of trained social workers

In this county, the police are usually the first ones to be sent to a home where there is suspected abuse. If the police find obvious signs of abuse, then they call in CPS (Child Protective Services).

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 7:24 pm

ViperaAspis wrote:

I agree. The police are just following procedure in response to calls they are getting and you need to treat their visits as such. If any of those things were really going on, they would have to visit frequently and randomly to gather evidence and, so, that is what they are doing. I would be really interested in knowing who is doing the reporting, but that isn't going to happen, so you need to take a deep breath and understand that this isn't personal between the police and you. Let them do their job, and continue to do yours. Take this opportunity to pass on information about AS and how it affects social cues, and how that could be resulting in misunderstandings with neighbors.

I know its frustrating and intrusive but, as a parent, I don't know what else you do. The police have too often MISSED serious problems in homes, and they are going to all they can to make sure that if the accusations are true, they have not been misled. You know those horror stories, like the one about Jaycee Duggard who lived with her abductors for more than a decade, even while parole agents were paying visits. That is the environment the police live in, the fear of making a mistake and missing something important. The more you can understand that, while staying secure in your own head and heart that everything will come clear in the end, then the better the whole situation will go.

Meanwhile, gather letters and evidence from people who know your family well, and keep a log of all the visits and what was going on in the family at the time. Hopefully you'll never need that, but it would be good to have.

I am so, so sorry you have to go through this because of one #()$#)(#$ idiot who either has an ax to grind or knows nothing about you.

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 8:14 pm

OMG.. :( It sounds to me the jerks who get off on making your life harder are buddy,buddy with the cops. Welcome to the "charm" of small town living. :roll: The best I can think of right now is to contact the deparment because you "hate" to see tax money wasted on all these welcome because you have nothing to hide but unneeded vists. Have in hand notes from your doctors explaining what AS is and how it makes your child shy and alittle withdrawn. Welcome them if they do come to your door be as sunny and friendly as you can manage make the dips that called the cops look like they are the crazy ones. Pass out information on AS to your childs playgroup, keep cards on hand incase of a meltdown while out of the house make sure all your neighbors know you and your child and that screaming they hear is due to the fact when stressed your child has trouble expressing herself. We've been there done this have the t-shirt and came out the otherside. My son got away from me one time and all hell broke lose. Best of luck :)