Do you believe in learning on your own?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 10:16 pm

My family tosses the idea around of buy books and learn on my own and then take the TEST (I guess to become whatever) IMO it's NOT that easy! You NEED a teacher to show you and teach you stuff and surely there's not an end all be all TEST to become a doctor or lawyer or my field of interest Psychology (not to mention learning how to do research and such and what type of Psychologist I want to become I still haven't figured that part out I liked doing the research in College when I look back at it that was something I enjoyed.

robinhood
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jan 2010, 4:57 am

I'm studying at the Open University in the UK, which is a government-run home learning programme... like a correspondence degree course, but with occasional tutorials, and internet interaction. They are good at supporting people with AS, and I've found it really works for me.... no need to socialize, no need to afford all the living expenses of being at university. I like it personally, but I think it's something I'm ready to do now, whereas I didn't really know what I wanted to pursue in my 20s. I'm studying psychology also, by the way.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 5:24 am

I have to admit, I question your interest in your subject if you aren't curious enough to pursue reading about it on your own. It sounds like what you were really interested in was your college teacher, not psychology as a subject. Having ideas for experiments is what you talk about a lot, but you never seem to do even rudimentary research (like Googling) to find out if that research has already been done and what the results were.

I read the textbook for Psych 101 when I was an undergraduate and "tested out" of it (took a multiple choice test and got credit as if I had taken the whole class.) To do that you have to be a student enrolled in a university that allows placement testing, though--you are correct that there is no test to become a psychologist.

I also have to admit that I feel dubious about the possibility of you becoming a clinical psychologist in the future. :( I was the secretary for a clinical psych department for a while, and it was a very competitive program to get into (and this was at a regular state university, not the Ivy League.) Only applicants with perfect grades and impressive extracurricular activities were admitted, and they had a very stressful and demanding schedule of classes and practicums. To get permission to work with human subjects you have to be a very responsible person, and to counsel others you need to be very socially adept.

Last edited by arielhawksquill on 26 Jan 2010, 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 5:44 am

I personally need a structured setting to learn because of my executive dysfunction. That doesn't necessarily mean a classroom, but I need someone to direct me.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 5:45 am

I don't know about you, but teachers slow my learning down. I learn much more when left alone.

robinhood
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jan 2010, 5:47 am

Aimless wrote:
I personally need a structured setting to learn because of my executive dysfunction. That doesn't necessarily mean a classroom, but I need someone to direct me.

The OU are pretty good at understanding this, and so I get additional study skills support and a mental health support worker to help me organize and keep me on track. I think some ways they are more in tune than a lot of UK universities to the needs of autistic students.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 1:26 pm

arielhawksquill wrote:
I have to admit, I question your interest in your subject if you aren't curious enough to pursue reading about it on your own. It sounds like what you were really interested in was your college teacher, not psychology as a subject. Having ideas for experiments is what you talk about a lot, but you never seem to do even rudimentary research (like Googling) to find out if that research has already been done and what the results were.

I read the textbook for Psych 101 when I was an undergraduate and "tested out" of it (took a multiple choice test and got credit as if I had taken the whole class.) To do that you have to be a student enrolled in a university that allows placement testing, though--you are correct that there is no test to become a psychologist.

I also have to admit that I feel dubious about the possibility of you becoming a clinical psychologist in the future. :( I was the secretary for a clinical psych department for a while, and it was a very competitive program to get into (and this was at a regular state university, not the Ivy League.) Only applicants with perfect grades and impressive extracurricular activities were admitted, and they had a very stressful and demanding schedule of classes and practicums. To get permission to work with human subjects you have to be a very responsible person, and to counsel others you need to be very socially adept.

Wow you made some good points. :-) Thanks. :-)

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 3:35 pm

Psychology is one of the many subjects you can learn much more quickly and effectively on your own than you can in school. Go to the library and pick up some famous psychology books, and start reading them in your spare time. That's what I do with Economics, and though I haven't gotten through much, I've learned more than I have in school.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 4:14 pm

Thanks Cyanide. :-)

Laar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jan 2010, 5:58 pm

I´m not good at doing work at home, I have a bit of an forced separation between home and school. There for I like to do the most at the university (studying applied maths). To be able to learn on your own I think you need to have at least the following:
A good drive, your not going to learn it without wanting it or liking it.
Discipline, (the thing that is hard for me) You need to learn and you have to do it yourself, nobody to tell you you have to. Though it might be possible to do it somewhere else (e.g. library) if that helps you (of course you also need the discipline to go to there then).

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jan 2010, 10:28 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
My family tosses the idea around of buy books and learn on my own and then take the TEST (I guess to become whatever) IMO it's NOT that easy! You NEED a teacher to show you and teach you stuff and surely there's not an end all be all TEST to become a doctor or lawyer or my field of interest Psychology (not to mention learning how to do research and such and what type of Psychologist I want to become I still haven't figured that part out I liked doing the research in College when I look back at it that was something I enjoyed.

Lol, on the contrary, my parents insist on me to ask them for help when it comes to school-related issues and i used to becoming very cocky about it. But in reality I don't approach school like to used to.

t55
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jan 2010, 12:12 am

I do not agree in a y/n sense but I do think that self-education is valuable.

I personally would like to be able to learn on my own.

Mostly to appease my desire for more money As well as my achievement desires.
But I can't seem to accomplish this.

Blake_be_cool
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 1:47 am

When learning I find it best one with one, like a Tutor. just to tell me what to do and all.
then just learn at home on my own.

kraken
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jan 2010, 5:53 pm

Professions tend to come with their own cultures. Learning on your own is not a bad idea, but by isolating yourself entirely from other professionals, you miss out on the opportunity to learn from them. So much of learning is about process, and this is difficult to convey by reading a book. This is one reason why earning a doctorate is such a long, drawn out process.

hellopeople
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Feb 2010, 9:01 pm

my math teacher looks at me funny. I think it's because I don't take notes. lol

Technically you don't need to go to law school to be a lawyer. You just gotta pass the bar.

Hello
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Feb 2010, 10:56 pm

I actually do most of my learning on my own even though I attend classes...a lot of the things said in class I write down just because I am supposed to but they make no sense to me, so I come home and take the notes I wrote and go from there and get more information from books or the internet until I feel secure that I know enough about the subject.

Math, my worse subject, is a foreign language, and I spend many hours crying over my math book trying to make sense of it all.