Northern Island is sent a saint, Desmond Tutu

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Vandike
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Mar 2006, 5:22 pm

BBC shows truth and reconciliation in Northern Ireland -07/03/06

Quote:
The BBC screened remarkable scenes last night, involving the ideas of South Africa's Truth and Reconciliation Commission, as Desmond Tutu brokered a meeting between a former Protestant paramilitary and the widow and brother of a man he was convicted of murdering.

Minister weighs up truth and reconciliation commission for Northern Ireland -2/6/04

Quote:
The Secretary of State for Northern Ireland Paul Murphy has been hearing from opponents of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, on his visit to South Africa.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2006, 6:22 pm

Wow, an emotional time for the Hacketts, I don't think I could have shook hands with Stone if that were me. I guess it must take real guts to do something like that.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2006, 6:25 pm

Fiz wrote:
Wow, an emotional time for the Hacketts, I don't think I could have shook hands with Stone if that were me. I guess it must take real guts to do something like that.

I watched that episode, actually - good stuff, but it must have been very painful for them to even think about shaking hands with a man who murdered a member of their family. I could never do that.