Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Frosty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Feb 2010, 7:22 pm

I tend to overtip now.

I used to under tip.

I worked as a bartender for 3 months and was amazed who tipped and who did not.

How do you all feel about it?

Thanks in advance for your replies or just viewing this thread.

Have a nice day!! !

Frosty

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 9:40 pm

I worked for tips for years as a bartender. The best tippers I find were people who also worked for tips, not necessarily because they had a lot of money at their disposal, but because they understood. I've got a problem with the whole system. A tip is supposed to be a little extra for good service but the minimum wage for tipped workers in VA at least was $2.13 when I was working. Restaurant work is very hard and stressful and I've seen waitresses work their asses off for a large table and then get stiffed. Can you imagine working for a little over $2.00 an hour and then having to hope that some one will throw you a little extra change so you can pay your rent and buy food? It sucks. Restaurant owners need to pay their workers a living wage.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2010, 1:26 am

I hate tipping - I will not list all the reasons it's is morally wrong and a nightmare for tipperand tipped. My wife I think disapproves, BUT she was a tipped person and is strongly in favor of tipping AND she can handle the calculations faster. Since the "official" tip moved over 10% - I COULD calculate that speedily and officially - i turned the tipping over to her.

Frosty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2010, 3:22 am

Yeah I just quit a bartending night time gig and that is where I saw the "light" of tipping better.

But it still astounds me yes - how some moderate of borderline poor customer will tip better on average than some.

Then the demanding squirts who never tip at all get on my nerves.

musicboxforever
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 6:06 am

I am always really nervous about tipping. I didn't realise for years that you are meant to tip a hairdresser. When I found out it took a couple of years for me to pluck up the courage to actually do it. My sister is a waitress and I have a friend who is a beautician (yes, they get tipped too, I found out after a chat with her) and I understand the need for tipping better now. But I think that really people ought to be paid a decent wage and not need tipped. But that's mostly because I find the whole tipping thing socially awkward and it's the sort of thing I find uncomfortable. I don't want to seem like I'm being demeaning offering a tip to someone.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 6:50 am

Most of the time, they can sod off. In Britain you don't tip unless you're going out for a meal. When we go out for a meal they get around 10% if it's a good meal (slightly more if I have the change, less if I don't). The most I have ever tipped was around 23% once. And that's that.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 8:14 am

Tequila wrote:
Most of the time, they can sod off. In Britain you don't tip unless you're going out for a meal. When we go out for a meal they get around 10% if it's a good meal (slightly more if I have the change, less if I don't). The most I have ever tipped was around 23% once. And that's that.

I understand in Europe the tip is included or the servers are paid a living wage. You try living on $2.13 an hour. Sod that.

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 7:07 pm

My problem with tipping is that I always thought it was supposed to be if someone does a really great job you give them a little extra money as a thanks. But then I heard that people who get tips are paid less by their bosses because a tip is expected from the customer every time, even if it's bad service. I think it's absolutely ridiculous that it should fall on the customer to be forced to pay extra money because they know if they don't then the person might not be able to make rent that month. It just doesn't make sense to me. They're working regular jobs, their bosses should pay them properly, and I don't know how they get away with paying them less than minimum wage.

Edit: whoops, apparently Aimless had already said what I said, I didn't read the whole thread first :oops:

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 9:05 pm

^ In the US it varies from state to state. Some states have a regular minimum wage and a tipped minimum wage. I agree with you though, it's demeaning to have to rely on tips to survive, especially since restaurant work is high stress.

Vance
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Feb 2010, 9:15 pm

musicboxforever wrote:
I am always really nervous about tipping. I didn't realise for years that you are meant to tip a hairdresser.

I didn't realise that for a long while too, although I think (and hope) that you don't need to do that where I originally grew up. Otherwise I've been making that mistake for longer than I thought.

I do hate the expectations tipping creates, and the sense of being judged for it one way or another. Occasionally I've been nervous enough while handing over a cash tip that I've accidentally given $5 or even 10$ bills by mistake. The concept of giving tips doesn't bother me nearly as much as the awkwardness of the exchange when trying to work out the right moment to hand one over to a cab driver, or whoever else.

Last edited by Vance on 20 Feb 2010, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnotherOne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Feb 2010, 12:39 am

i tip about 20% before it was 10-15% before i read on the internet that it should be about 20%.
generally i don't care about the service and if i would have any complaint is to be left alone without pouring water or asking "how is everything". but i understand.
it is an awful/demanding job and depends on the restaraunt.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 10:04 am

I don't mind tipping. It really annoys me though when 'service charges' are included. I feel that they get paid their wage as it is, if they want extra they should earn it by being friendly or prompt; most restaurants that have this charge seem to have really crappy service because, what's the point?

Also, most don't tell you they 'service charge' until after you get the bill.

I usually tip about 10-20% in restaurants, and sometimes spare change in cafes.

Heliobacter20
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Feb 2010, 1:14 am

I've never been a server, but I know they make crap wages so I usually tip 20% however if the server is rude, indifferent, or snippy I won't tip at all. I had an incredibly rude server - I mean high school jerk rude - b***h me out for not tipping and I told him exactly what he did wrong. I don't expect people to bust their ass for me, but I won't tolerate surly nasty behavior either. I have done customer service and I sucked it up when I had to.
It is confusing with who you are supposed to tip though. I don't think I should have to tip a place where I walk up and order my food, then take it to the table myself. I was once confused over if I should tip a registered massage therapist as you do tip masseuses at spas (ps, you don't tip the registered massage therapists - as licensed medical practitioners they aren't supposed to take it). I tip my hairdresser and esthetician, thats about all I can think of....

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 12:03 am

I tend to tip somewhat generously. However, I'll definitely vary the tip amount depending on what kind of service I get. I have no philosophical problem with the system; indeed, I think it works well to better reward people who do the job better. If anything, we need more of that, not less.

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 12:38 am

I worked as a pizza guy for 10 years. I always wondered what I did wrong when someone didn't tip me. I was nice, pleasant and got the food to them while it was still hot. I felt it was an insult or something. I order pizza maybe once or twice a year. When I do, I always make sure to tip my driver at least 5 dollars, but if I am feeling particularly generous or he got the food here and it was still piping hot, as in burn the roof of your mouth hot, I will give him 10

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 12:39 am

I worked as a pizza guy for 10 years. I always wondered what I did wrong when someone didn't tip me. I was nice, pleasant and got the food to them while it was still hot. I felt it was an insult or something. I order pizza maybe once or twice a year. When I do, I always make sure to tip my driver at least 5 dollars, but if I am feeling particularly generous or he got the food here and it was still piping hot, as in burn the roof of your mouth hot, I will give him 10