Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

jman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2006, 11:56 pm

Do you believe Im a 22 year old male who listens to The Beatles? :D Who here loves the beatles??

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2006, 12:43 am

I love The Beatles. I tend to gravitate towards their earlier stuff.

Astreja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Mar 2006, 1:44 am

The Beatles are the reason that I'm a musician today. :D I first heard their music on CFCF Radio in Montreal, forty-two years ago, and it inspired me to try to learn to play guitar. (Unfortunately my hands weren't big enough/strong enough until I was about twelve.)

I particularly like the puns and quick turnarounds in the songs that John wrote, always have been fond of Ringo, OK with George, *meh* with Paul. (And George Martin is an absolute genius as a record producer.)

Viddy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Mar 2006, 5:27 am

They're simultaneously one of the most over-rated bands ever and one of the best bands ever.

Work it out.

AreFriendsElectric
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Mar 2006, 3:39 pm

Yeah, I can listen to any selection from their extensive catalogue. I heavily gravitate toward Rubber Soul and Revolver. Has Anyone seen all of their movies? Theyre great! I am fond of Help! the movie most of all.

Quote:
always have been fond of Ringo, OK with George, *meh* with Paul

Do you mean as people? Songwriters? Overall performance?

gloomywtregret
Raven
Raven

17 Mar 2006, 5:27 pm

definte beatle fan here

happydeadmonkey
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Mar 2006, 5:00 pm

Quote:
They're simultaneously one of the most over-rated bands ever and one of the best bands ever.

What they lacked in technical skill they compensated for in artistic vision. One of the main reasons why there has never been another band like them is that they exploited a small window of democracy in the music industry. When they caught on, industry execs only wanted more Beatles clones, and by the mid 1970's, the artistic window was closed permanently.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2006, 7:10 pm

Yeah, I like the Beatles. Just DLed Yellow Submarine in fact. :D

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2006, 11:11 pm

I think they're boring, but that's me.

Astreja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Mar 2006, 2:15 am

AreFriendsElectric wrote:
Quote:
always have been fond of Ringo, OK with George, *meh* with Paul

Do you mean as people? Songwriters? Overall performance?

As people, mainly. When I was seven years old, Ringo was my *hero*. I could never work out why all the other girls in school were Oohing and Aahing over Paul, because there was something about him I just didn't like. (Still not crazy about the chap.)

John is definitely my favourite songwriter among the four. I like Paul's songs somewhat, except when they get sentimental and goofy (which, unfortunately, happens a lot), and generally prefer the songs that George wrote. And Ringo 's contributions are somewhere near the bottom of the list.

I think all of them have great moments as musicians; but the "signature" of a Beatles song is, for me, the well-placed drum fills in some of the older songs. Like the roll on the toms at the beginning of "She Loves You" or the little bits of drum punctuation in the chorus of "Ticket to Ride" or the episode of "Eight Days a Week" ("Eight days a week... I loo..oo..oo..oo..ove you. (ba dum)")

And I love the movie Help! and have probably seen it fifteen or twenty times.

AreFriendsElectric

21 Mar 2006, 10:48 am

Astreja, list some of the Paul McCartney Beatles song you like. Here are some of his that I love and was wondering what you thought of them..

1.Hello Goodbye
2. I'll Follow the Sun
3. Here, There, & Everywhere
4. Got to get you into my Life
5.Paperback Writer
6. Mother Nature's Son
7. Blackbird
8. The Fool on the Hill
9. She's a Woman

Young_fogey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Mar 2006, 8:15 pm

I'm a young fan, since I was 10. (I was born the year Revolver came out.) I agree with the positive postings in this thread. I wish I looked and sounded like Sir George Martin and yes, he was good at what he did and is the fifth Beatle, I like proper Paul and his classic pop, John was very talented, I share George's introversion and interest in religion and spirituality (and I like his quirky voice with its strong accent) and Ringo, well, he's just a nice bloke.

I can agree that they're both overrated and very good.

I think like a lot of fans that they had one good album left in them. If you cull their early solo stuff you can put together what it would have sounded like. Imagine all those songs only better. The thing is they really disappeared from the hipster radar around 1974, a year before their contract as the Beatles would have expired anyway. They should have pulled themselves together one more time, made an album up there with Abbey Road in its goodness, then parted amicably.

I like both the feeling of the early ’60s I get from studying Beatlemania - I think I miss that historical period - and some of the lasting songs they made in their later period.

I see them as an update of the English music-hall/pop tradition, updated by mixing it with rock, with a kind of cheeky-chappie persona, not as advertising for illicit drugs.

When it comes to Beatles vs Rolling Stones I'm a Beatle person. Mods vs rockers, mod.

rhubarbpluscustard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Mar 2006, 10:20 am

I like 'em, yeah. So does my best friend.

Astreja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Mar 2006, 2:15 am

AreFriendsElectric wrote:
Astreja, list some of the Paul McCartney Beatles song you like. Here are some of his that I love and was wondering what you thought of them..

1.Hello Goodbye
2. I'll Follow the Sun
3. Here, There, & Everywhere
4. Got to get you into my Life
5.Paperback Writer
6. Mother Nature's Son
7. Blackbird
8. The Fool on the Hill
9. She's a Woman
Of the list above, the only one I really like is "I'll Follow the Sun." Other McCartney songs I like:

P.S. I Love You
All My Loving
And I Love Her
Things We Said Today
Eight Days A Week
Back In The USSR
Get Back
Oh! Darling

And my favourites from John Lennon:

Please Please Me
I'll Be Back
Tell Me Why
If I Fell
No Reply
Ticket To Ride
You're Going To Lose That Girl (probably my favourite Beatles tune)
Day Tripper
Nowhere Man
Because

(As you can see from my lists, most of my intensive Beatles listening happened between 1963 and 1965.)

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2006, 3:54 am

jman wrote:
Do you believe Im a 22 year old male who listens to The Beatles? :D Who here loves the beatles??

i'm a 21 year old male who listens to the beatles....i love sgt pepper....probably my favorite album by them.

miku
Raven
Raven

24 Mar 2006, 4:30 pm

I love The Beatles.. but the one thing that's kinda a shame in my opinion is that there are a lot of people with, I won't say bad, but common taste in music who love The Beatles because they've been mostly exposed to their earlier poppy stuff, and a lot of people with harder to please tastes who don't like The Beatles because they've only been exposed to their earlier poppy stuff.

I'm particularly a fan of what they started writing after they got bored of writing typical pop hits like "8 Days a Week" and "I wanna hold your hand" and started doing drugs.