i thought aspies have high iq................

Page 1 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

au
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Mar 2010, 1:12 pm

a lot of them do and people with high iq are usually great with science, especially math and physics.
however, http://www.wrongplanet.net/postxf118168-0-15.html

the poll is asking which is the hardest subject and math has the most vote, then physics.

why is this? i thought aspies are the people of science. im assuming that hard means inproficiency.

bully_on_speed
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 1:14 pm

we are unique in that we are all different. i for one dont have as many social restrictions as many here do. but im more crazy in other ways

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 1:19 pm

People with aspergers do not have the intellectual disabilities that are associated with normal autism, but as far as intelligence goes, the range is similar to that of people without autism. Most savants are not actually autistic.

The reason some people with Aspergers end up as experts at the top of their field is that our interests can be very focused, to the exclusion of other activities, and so those that are able streamline themselves towards careers in their chosen interest, and due to sheer perseverence beat off a lot of the competition.

Since social skills can be tricky for us, fewer people with aspergers are top of careers that involve high empathy, and so from a glance it can look like all academic geniuses have aspergers.

ForsakenEagle
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Mar 2010, 1:23 pm

I don't like to associate intelligence with a single number. Intelligence can come in a TON of different forms.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 1:31 pm

I may not be the brightest, but I'm an excellent drummer. :)

au
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Mar 2010, 1:35 pm

ForsakenEagle wrote:
I don't like to associate intelligence with a single number. Intelligence can come in a TON of different forms.

i said, "a lot of them do and people with high iq are usually great with science, especially math and physics," not just these subjects.

DavidM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Mar 2010, 1:41 pm

I have an IQ of 140. 8)

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 1:44 pm

au wrote:
a lot of them do and people with high iq are usually great with science, especially math and physics.

the poll is asking which is the hardest subject and math has the most vote, then physics.

why is this? i thought aspies are the people of science. im assuming that hard means inproficiency.

The part I bolded is an assumption you made. It is not a fact.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 2:09 pm

^ Agree with Janissy. I think that's just a popular stereotype. It's part of the model that if you have impairments, you need to have compensating impressive skills to make you a worthwhile human being. So the "Einstein" stereotype gets invented, and every time someone is into science it's highly noted, making it seem common. Sort of the way that savantism is very rare in autistics, but people think it's common because the media loves to do stories about autistic savants.

alana
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 2:46 pm

Lene wrote:

Since social skills can be tricky for us, fewer people with aspergers are top of careers that involve high empathy, and so from a glance it can look like all academic geniuses have aspergers.

I thought of something else too, if your social skills suck then you might not be as distracted by social stuff and might be alot more focused.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 3:23 pm

A higher IQ has no place in the diagnostic criteria for being on the spectrum. You may wish to revisit the original source of your information.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 3:39 pm

I know a useful mathematical formula: IQ ≡ BS :wink:

The year is still young.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 4:03 pm

Ambivalence wrote:

Yeah, you can be like me, get it tested into the upper 160s, and still have the following.

1)No Drivers License
2)No Job
3)Cant get into school because aid doesnt cover anything. And you cant afford community college
4)Even when you had a job, you couldnt get a college loan because of the whole credit rating BS. Why the f**k should I put myself in debt just to increase a damn number so I can get a college loan.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Fintan29
Toucan
Toucan

19 Mar 2010, 4:15 pm

A high IQ doesn't mean you'll have a great life. At the moment, I think it means what potential one can have at being bright. I'm into Maths and Physics a lot, but I'm not doing very well at them at the moment. I'm very lazy to study.
An Aspie usually has average or above IQ. It doesn't mean that all of them will.

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 4:30 pm

Can artists/writers have a high IQ even if they are not really that into maths and physics beyond wanting to understand it as part of their special interest? I know, weird, not being inclined to want to absolutely understand a thing in itself for the sake of it, but there you go.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 5:20 pm

Janissy wrote:
au wrote:

The part I bolded is an assumption you made. It is not a fact.

There is some true in this assumption. Peoples interested in science and math are generally of high IQ. Not all highly intelligent peoples are interessed in them, but this quite spread and can be considered as a sign of high intelligence. Some interests like sciences, politics or philosophy in a child is a sign of intellectual giftedness (+ 130 IQ), and most gifteds are not aspergers, though some are. And most aspergers are not gifted, though some are.

If look in " Computers, Math, Science, and Technology" section, you'll see that it's more about computers that maths and sciences (sadly...:().

DemonAbyss10 wrote:
Ambivalence wrote:

Yeah, you can be like me, get it tested into the upper 160s, and still have the following.

1)No Drivers License
2)No Job
3)Cant get into school because aid doesnt cover anything. And you cant afford community college
4)Even when you had a job, you couldnt get a college loan because of the whole credit rating BS. Why the f**k should I put myself in debt just to increase a damn number so I can get a college loan.

It's supposed to mesure intelligence, not sucess. BTW, you're situation look like mine. :(