Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

aziraphale
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Apr 2010, 8:17 am

I can often tell if someone has Asperger's. I don't think I've had anyone I know in real life tell me they have Asperger's without me having figured it out long before. I can sort of do it pretty fast generally. It's the body language difference, the no eye contact, the monotone voice and a sort of aspie-ish word pattern. I don't know how to describe it but it often seems like aspies speak in a way somewhat different from neurotypicals beyond the vocal intonation. It's a difference I can't seem to put my finger on but it's there. Anyone able to tell to a degree?

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 8:18 am

Oh yeah I have a good A-dar. I spotted a few in college and I turned out to be right both times. 8)

FredOak3
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Apr 2010, 8:20 am

I pay as little attention to people as I can, so I would probably miss it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 8:26 am

Mine sucks. I don't place the label on people over a few traits.

luvmyaspie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 10:28 am

MONKEY wrote:
Oh yeah I have a good A-dar.... 8)

hehe..MONKEY..love the terminology! :) I work in a high school (special needs support) and I see AS people everywhere....most of them don't know they are....but they are...yes even staff, not just students...actually, staff in particular

I've referred to it as my AS feelers until now...it's A-dar from this day forward 8)

Grievous
Toucan
Toucan

09 Apr 2010, 11:02 am

Yeah, I have good A-dar. Especially when working with younger kids, those that have AS are very reminiscent of myself at that age.

Yakko: We'd love to stay here and count our brain cells as they die one-by-one.
Dot: But we can't.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 11:32 am

I have good A-dar as well. I know an aspie, when I see one.

ASgirl
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Apr 2010, 11:47 am

i wish i can tell but i can't. i have never met anyone with asperger's and hope that i will one day (soon).

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 12:21 pm

aziraphale wrote:
It's the body language difference, the no eye contact, the monotone voice and a sort of aspie-ish word pattern. I don't know how to describe it but it often seems like aspies speak in a way somewhat different from neurotypicals beyond the vocal intonation. It's a difference I can't seem to put my finger on but it's there. Anyone able to tell to a degree?

I worked with two other Aspies in my years in Radio and the monotone voice simply wasn't there, so that wouldn't have given a clue. I never noticed anything similar in their body language, eye contact (of course mine is bad enough, I wouldn't have noticed if they weren't looking at me) posture or gait, though both had a similar build physically, which was nothing like mine.

What gave them away was their obsessive interests and the tendency to go on and on and on about those interests, never realizing that others in the room were visibly bored hearing about it, their ability to hyperfocus, but only on the things that interested them, and their self-imposed social isolation.

BlackLight
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Apr 2010, 1:41 pm

I think now I am familiar with the signifiers I look for it in people. I have a feeling at least two of my friends have it to some degree....they'd never admit it though

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 2:57 pm

I can look back now and see that one of my friends in AZ has it and my son has it. A professor friend of mine definitely has it. My evil little grandmother has it. My darling great grandfather had it. I can also see many others who no doubt have Aspergian/Autism traits. Lookout NTs, we're everywhere! :D :nerdy: :jocolor: :mrgreen: :afro: :queen: :viking: :study: Image Image Image :cat: :alien: :king: Image Image Image

Image Image

Owl

09 Apr 2010, 3:36 pm

The guy who helps me look for jobs at the Autistic Society told me he is what you call a Neuro-typical - but he acts more Aspie than me. No eye contact - ( I've been practising mine - although sometimes it might look like the 'Blank Stare of Hate' 8O) and he's not comfortable with hand shaking and has the most monotone voice ever! - It's funny 'cause there I am looking to him for help with stuff and I'm sitting there thinking 'You are so AS it hurts :D - maybe he's just trying to relate to me, but yeah my A-dar is always on - I see them like me looking awkward in the supermarket. The funniest for me is if I encounter another Aspie on a stairwell somewhere - we both step to the side giving each other loads of 'right-of-way' pause, look down, say sorry then quickly move on :lol: - I have to laugh cause otherwise I'll just go stand still somewhere in the flat.

Owl

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 4:05 pm

yeah we can 'smell' our own. ;)

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 4:27 pm

Shebakoby wrote:
yeah we can 'smell' our own. ;)

Eeewwww...why would you want to smell anyone else's? :eew:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2010, 1:19 am

aziraphale wrote:
I can often tell if someone has Asperger's. I don't think I've had anyone I know in real life tell me they have Asperger's without me having figured it out long before. I can sort of do it pretty fast generally. It's the body language difference, the no eye contact, the monotone voice and a sort of aspie-ish word pattern. I don't know how to describe it but it often seems like aspies speak in a way somewhat different from neurotypicals beyond the vocal intonation. It's a difference I can't seem to put my finger on but it's there. Anyone able to tell to a degree?

hiya :)
before i was dx'ed, i had not a clue other than a vague sense of unease, that something was not right with either me or the few other folk i found in 4 decades of searching for somebody similar to myself. since my dx and further study, i have found a few other folk whom at a distance i could tell they had AS issues. unfortunately for me, none of these folk were expecially befriendable- IOW they were obviously friendless and not especially bothered by that fact.
i must mention that [at least in my own case] it is not always a monotone, but often an odd halting flow or inappropriately singsong inflection in speech, that may or may not alternate with periods of monotonic speech.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2010, 11:52 am

I am a NT, but my cousin has asperger syndrome and i can honestly say she is cool. I am 18 and I think I am old enough to know what this is, and I'm going to tell the truth about it.
Aspies are normal. They are able-bodied, intellegent, ordinary individuals. When it comes down to it, Aspergers is only a little condition what just makes them find a few things difficult - that's all.
But everywhere you read about this stuff, it always over-says it, as if it's trying to say ''Aspies are completely different, and NTs are perfect'' - wrong. NTs find things difficult, just like Aspies do.
NTs get get obsessed. I'm obsessed with guitar music, and I really love the guitar. I've literally built three guitars, and I've brought an expensive guitar, and I have music sheets all over my room. I sometimes even want to be alone to practice. I even want everyone else to like guitars, although not everyone does like my interest. So I have a obsession with guitars - it's my special interest. See - even NTs have a special interest. Where would we be without special interests? We'd be boring!
I get anxious too. My Mum and Dad have split up two years ago, and it's still as awful as what it was when it first happened. My Mum has left and she wants my Dad to sell up the house, and so on. This is making me very anxious. I'm even finding myself following my Dad about instead of being out with friends, because I feel quite insecure. I'm not ready to move out, and I haven't even got a girlfriend yet.
I don't like clubbing because it's boring, and my mates aren't the sort to go clubbing. My best mate has got some learning difficulties, but so what? He's cool.
So I hope you Aspies feel a bit better now, because if you read this meeage carefully you will look at yourself and think, ''yeh, I am normal. I'm not ret*d. I can do things for myself. I just have a few difficulties, that's all. But that doesn't stop me from living a full, healthy life.'' Some people are born with Down's Sydrome, or some are even born deformed, and some are born with terminal diseases, and some are born where they have to be in a wheelchair all their lives. Think of how they feel. My heart goes out to them! But for you Aspies - you are individuals, just like everybody else. And even NTs get bullied at school. I knew someone who had no learning difficulties or anything, and she was so badly bullied that she had to be taken out of the school. And I know another NT who had such bad panic attacks of going to the big school that he had to go part-time. None of the other in his class had that problem. So even NTs can be weird.
(You might say, Aspies may be able to do better than most NTs!! !)
Keep smiling :D