Just saying hello or wanting to chat?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

andantespianato
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Apr 2010, 5:34 pm

If a person says hello to you how do you tell whether they are literly only expecting you to say hello then walk on, or say a bit about how you're doing and ask them the same then walk on, or stop and chat altogether? I usually just say hello then walk on unless im sitting/standing somewhere and the person sits/stands by me and just keeps talking to me.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 5:57 pm

Experience and observation. Look closely at what people do in these situations. There are clues in their body and attitude. Are they slowing as they approach? Are they inclining their body towards you or, pointing away? Is their smile polite or warm? Is there a look of impatience in the eyes?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 6:08 pm

I prefer to just say hello, and than go about my business.

gassy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Apr 2010, 8:33 am

I sometimes have the same problem.

But my reaction will usually depend on the context.

If im not particularly close to them (physically) then i'll just say hi, or if im in a crowded corridor for instance and we're walking in opposite directions (if we stop then it will bring the whole crowd to a stand still).

But in most other cases (unless im very close (in a friendly way) to the person and we can have a chat; or i havent seen the person for a while) then i usually just say "Hey, you alright? Oh, How was XY or Z?" and if they respond and im not sure if they want to have a chat or not, then i'll look at my phone at the time and say "im really sorry but im in a bit of a rush at the moment" (i may not actually be in a particular big rush, but i am usually trying to do something/get somewhere) "but ill see you later at XYorZ" (if im planning on meeting them somewhere or "would you like to meet up at XY or Z?" (if i want to chat with them about something and am not scheduled to meet with them in the near future).

However if i feel i need to talk to them about something fairly urgently then (unless im in a very crowded/noisy place) i let them decide whether or not they want to chat with me.

Im not entirely sure whether this helped you in your question as i've forgotten what you asked in the first place lol :D