Page 1 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

alex
Developer
Developer

01 Apr 2006, 11:57 am

Basically, this is a post about advertising on Wrong Planet, and some of the realities of running a site, (and we're still really small in the scheme of things), and keeping it up, and making it work.

We are going to take down the thread about contributing to Wrong Planet. No one wanted to, and besides, we pay for this site and some of its content and its bandwidth with advertising.

First, notice that when you log in, unless we're having major problems (and they don't last long), you get in right away. That costs money. We are running over 4000 members right now, and that bandwidth cost money. We have redundant servers, and that costs money. We're adding all sorts of content, for which we have to pay, and that costs money. And it doesn't just cost a few bucks a month. It costs a lot of bucks a month.

If you log onto Google, or Yahoo news or Salon, or Slate, or Amazon, you'll see advertising. That's how they pay for it. Some of us don't like the ads, some of us don't care, and some of us actually find a good deal of useful stuff by clicking on the ads. When the site starts to get up to as many users as we have, it starts to take some paid work by third parties, and so far, we're in a position where we can afford it, and we can add (as we will in the next few months) some really cool features, and we can make sure, without asking you, our users, for a cent, that we keep our service level where it should be, which is to say 24 X 7 95 percent of the time.

Why am I so concerned about keeping the site up and adding users and expanding what we offer, and getting out to the world at large? Where else does our community have its own voice, as opposed to one run by NTs? Not many places (though there are some others). This is not an ego trip or a money making venture, folks, it's a mission!

Please don't block our ads. We can stop the ones that really interfere with the content, or ads that violate our rules, or offensive adds, but the advertising is paying the bills, and that's really important.

Someone said, "Yeah, Alex and Dan are probably making a killing." Well, we're not. We don't draw a salary from the ad revenue, (We don't draw any salary). We turn any money we get back to improving the site, and We don't have a problem with that, but we're also in school, just like a lot of the rest of you, and there are things that we should be doing and we are doing what we have to pay for. We couldn't live without our volunteers, but there are some non-aspies who say, "well, we charge for this, and if you don't like it, you can't have it!" ISPs are like that, so are phone companies, and on and on.

Our advertising pays the bills. It keeps the lights on, it keeps the site running, it keeps the site "free" and the advertising we carry is nothing compared to sites like Amazon, e-bay, or Yahoo. So when you log on, please turn off your ad blocking software, if you have it. We're not about making money, and we never will be, but we need to pay the bills, and the advertising does.

Comments welcome, always.

Last edited by alex on 15 Nov 2006, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sc
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2006, 12:03 pm

Some people online were going around saying that you were trying to take money from autistics, made it into a bad negative.

Well I won't mention the group, well the affiliated members, but you might have an idea.

Why don't you put up a paypal donate button so that people if they have a paypal account can just give a few dollars. I think with the higher amounts seen with the contributions people likely thought, well he is already getting allot of money. Goes to explain some of the thoughts of others I was witness too.

You might consider the button on the bottom of each page.

jman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2006, 12:36 pm

alex I would contribute money to the site if i had it :(

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2006, 1:21 pm

I'd like to see a full accounting of money in and out each month...nothing fancy, just a quick note.

Its not necessary since we no longer seem to be actively soliticing funds but I'd still like to see it.

BeeBee

ZedSimon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2006, 1:37 pm

sc wrote:
Some people online were going around saying that you were trying to take money from autistics, made it into a bad negative.

Instead, it's a good negative?

sc
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2006, 2:28 pm

It was how it was said, the group however he\she (will not specify) had known issues with WP, as well as many other forums. I was told by this party that it was being told to others, I dont use exact statements, I only have a memory of the conversation online. It all seems petty.

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2006, 3:20 pm

Quote:
This is not an ego trip or a money making venture, folks, it's a mission!

Well why didn't you say so?

odeon
Toucan
Toucan

01 Apr 2006, 4:09 pm

Sorry, Alex, but when I encounter ads that annoy me to the point where I just want to leave, I block the offending ad. A case in point was a really awful ad for mobile phone ring signals; it played (abused, was more like it) some of the tunes, and I just couldn't handle that. I have sensory issues and I am NOT going to wait, send PMs about an offending ad, or whatever. I'll just block the thing, and be done with it.

I should mention that so far, Amazon has never produced an ad that will make even a single beep. They're all nice and quiet, they seldom blink or disturb me, and I can easily ignore them. It was WP that made me get the Adblock plugin.

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2006, 2:59 am

Beebee:

I don't care how Alex spends money, as long as he doesn't as me for it. What's the difference? Site is up, forums work, articles are interesting......WP is not a public company, who cares? I don't.

Oh, and I leave my sound turned off all the time. I can't stand the little Windows sounds. Keeps the noise down.

Beentheredonethat

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2006, 3:42 am

I'll quit blocking ads when they don't use up a shedload of my CPU. I'll know when that happens because I occasionally still use IE here.

odeon
Toucan
Toucan

02 Apr 2006, 7:38 am

beentheredonethat wrote:
Oh, and I leave my sound turned off all the time. I can't stand the little Windows sounds. Keeps the noise down.

I don't use Windows. Can't stand it.

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2006, 3:32 pm

I personally would not care if Alex and Dan made a profit off of this sight. This sight is needed. I can't afford to contribute, so I'm just appreciative that I can come on here for free. If there are outside sources that can help keep this sight open than so be it. And if Alex and Dan make a profit....GOOD. I work with emotionally disturbed/develpomentally/neurologically challenged children, do I want to get paid????? We'll yeah, or I couldn't afford to work with them unless I'm paid. So if Alex and Dan make a "killing" ? So what...it's no money out of any of our pockets.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2006, 3:44 pm

Paula,

I don't think people care if Dan and Alex make money. Heck, I did contribute and I feel a reasonable amount for Alex's time makes perfect sense. People care becuase Alex has said some things about money that didn't make any sense. They felt used and lied to. That's why this money issue just won't die.

BeeBee

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2006, 3:48 pm

BeeBee wrote:
Paula,

I don't think people care if Dan and Alex make money. Heck, I did contribute and I feel a reasonable amount for Alex's time makes perfect sense. People care becuase Alex has said some things about money that didn't make any sense. They felt used and lied to. That's why this money issue just won't die.

BeeBee
(EX-mod who can't seem to get her title changed)

EXACTLY. I don't regret for a second the money that I donated. The WrongPlanet experience has been well worth the amount that I donated. I am only mad because of the confusing and conflicting things he has said. And also that when I became mistrusting and asked for my money back he tried to weasel out of it. For future reference Alex, I didn't really want the money back, but the fact that you tried to weasel out of giving it back indicated to me that you cared more about the money than the members. It was a chance for you to reestablish trust and you totally blew it.

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2006, 7:11 pm

Ok Alex, with what was just said I recommend you do this......I learned this in class when I was in college. To keep yourself clear and out of trouble, post a fianancal record of what you do with money coming in regarding this sight. My Pastor does this. Anyone can have access to church financal records and can see what staff makes what,(and thats only if the church is paying them) what gets paid, and basically where the tithe and donations go. Noone can have access to what individuals tithe because it's confidential, just the amount anyone can see. The secretaries and treasurer can pull my tithe record anytime I want, but they won't do it for anyone else. So I think you should listen to Bee Bee's advice, nothing fancy, just a quick note.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2006, 4:51 pm

I'm also in favor of the PayPal button, other forums I'm on use that for donations. Some people have a reason to block the ads, they may have epilepsy that is triggered by flashing lights, and some of the ads have that effect. The PayPal option is a good one for those who for medical reasons, can't tolerate those ads.