Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

alana
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 8:39 pm

I am thinking about joining one. There is one near here that is open 24 hours a day. I am doing it as one of the ways to detach from my family, who are driving me insane. I need to have a fitness program again.

kyled
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 May 2010, 8:46 pm

I do now, and I have been a member of several gyms over the last decade or so. I go about 2-3 times per week. Working out helps me de-stress, I just have to time it so that I miss the most crowded times :D

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 May 2010, 10:14 pm

I go to my local YMCA 2-3 times a week.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 11:30 pm

i miss the ymca. i used to live a half-hour drive from one but now, since moving away from civilization i have to drive an hour and half if i want to find one. i miss swimming laps.

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 May 2010, 11:42 pm

That's about how long it takes to get to my YMCA. 25-30 minutes.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2010, 1:46 am

I used to be part of one and went almost everyday, but not a member anymore. I think my family is joining the YMCA, though. I, personally, would spend more time at places other than the gym to get away from my family (if they were bothering me) but whatever floats your boat :wink:

alana
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 4:07 am

I joined a gym tonight. I hope I made a good decision. It is 5 miles from my house and it's open all night. He gave me a good rate but I had to sign for 2years. My school program I am starting is 2 years anyway so I probably won't be moving before then. I had HUGE nostalgia when I went in there, I was having trouble today with my neck and back and they put me on some machines and I had this wave of remembering my gym in SC (which was way nicer) and my ex because she was at my gym first then she swtiched. I started missing her so bad I almost wanted to call her when I got home. But it passed. It is really kind of small and stuff but they have everything I need. I am really close to melting down because of the craziness at home right now and I have got to have a neutral space. It would be so cool if I could get a routine and get my strength back and feel strong again. I felt strong just being in there. Plus I can go there and just sit in a corner in the locker room which I might do regularly because my family is driving me so nuts. At that time of night they said there aren't too many muscle heads in there, at my old gym they would get cranky if you were in their way like 'go away little girl' which was annoying. I am encouraged about it. I hope I don't lack discipline but I have just accepted I have to pay the man every month whether I go or not so I might as well go.

Vanilla_Slice
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2010, 4:28 pm

Great place to be, sign up and have fun.

Vanilla_Slice

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 May 2010, 1:03 pm

I don't belong to one for two reasons: Definite stage fright, and I'm busy and likely wouldn't make the time to go there regularly. So I built one for myself at our ranch. Thanks to the poor economy, I was able to pick up machines and equipment from failed gyms around the county, and I wound up with top-of-the line Cybex, Icarian, and other high-end equipment at pennies on the dollar. I got a $4000 smith machine that had been in a fire for $100, and I replaced the bearings, stripped and painted it, and it's good as new. I also got a complete $3000 racked set of hex dumbells (5 lbs through 120 lbs pairs) from a bankrupt gym for $500. I've been lifting since I was 17, and am still very active in bodybuilding.

Charles