no healt insurance if u have asperger?

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 4:34 am

thank god i dont life in America and if i would i would just move away and fast that just unbelievable :roll:
how can they deny it first place`?

ari_
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 May 2010, 5:30 am

Source?

Sounds a little bit unbelievable.

Ruchard
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2010, 8:05 am

If you watch sicko they had long list of stuff if you have that can't insurance and autism was on top of the list.

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 8:10 am

Ruchard wrote:
If you watch sicko they had long list of stuff if you have that can't insurance and autism was on top of the list.

Do remember that this isn't some sort of balanced documentary. I'm not calling Michael Moore a liar, but it is in his best interest to exaggerate ever so slightly.

That said, I do believe it is/was practiced by some insurers to deny people with Autism/Asperger's Syndrome because it is a pre-existing condition. Considering people often take medication, it doesn't seem much different from any other pre-existing condition which you can be denied for. This has changed to some extent with the new legislation passed.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 10:07 am

Ruchard wrote:
yep that was document i looked..it was unbelievable

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 10:23 am

I've searched high and low for decent health insurance, and there are only two plans that are available. One plan cost 1250 per month with a 10,000 annual deductible, and the other is a meager coverage plan. Yes, it is true, at least in Florida, that autistic people cannot get decent health coverage.

The high cost of health care could be cut at least by 2/3 if government would get out of the business of health care. It is GOVERNMENT that decides of a new hospital is to be build in a specific area. It is government who decides who can or cannot become a health care professional. It is government which decides what medications one needs a doctor's permission to buy. The list goes on an on.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 10:25 am

Michael_Stuart wrote:
This has changed to some extent with the new legislation passed.
As I understand it, Obama's health care bill doesn't allow insurers to deny people for existing conditions. This takes effect right away for children and will take effect in 2014 for adults.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 10:33 am

What will happen is that insurance companies will have their excuse to raise the price of insurance policies for everyone. People will still not be able to get insurance simply because they won't be able to AFFORD it. The meager subsidies offered by the government will not be enough to offset the exorbitant costs. Because they will not be able to afford insurance, the government will have an excuse to steal yet even more money through fines. Let's hope this unconstitutional monstrosity is defeated through the courts, legislation, or as a last resort, defiance of the people. I better way of providing affordable health care to the people involves getting the government out of the business of regulating health care to the extent it does now. I should not have to spend over a hundred dollars a month simply for obtaining permission to purchase a $10 bottle of blood pressure medication.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 11:58 am

I'm on Medicaid and treated for diagnostic code 299.00 (autism) and it's covered.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 12:24 pm

SuperTrouper wrote:
I'm on Medicaid and treated for diagnostic code 299.00 (autism) and it's covered.

I'm treated for 299.00, and yet, the government refuses to grant me Medicaid. (I want it to satisfy givernment's stupid insurance mandate).

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 12:26 pm

I work for a health insurance company and it is not denied to autistic people.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 12:29 pm

I work in Human Services. Medicaid will cover nearly all diagnostic testing, therapy, etc.

Nearly all private insurers will not; a few may with a huge deductible.

No employee plans that I have come across will cover anything.

(Edit) In the above, I am only discussing a first time diagnosis in adults. Children fair much better.

Last edited by dyingofpoetry on 23 May 2010, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 12:40 pm

cyberscan wrote:
I better way of providing affordable health care to the people involves getting the government out of the business of regulating health care to the extent it does now.
A much better way of proving affordable health care, and access to health care for all, is to have a single payer system run by the government, like it is in Europe, where, while it's not perfect, it's working much better than here in the US.

Private companies are in the business of making money. The less regulated they are, the more they will squeeze out of their customers without regard for their well being.

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 1:11 pm

I have a aspergers diagnosis, I live in the US and I have health insurance. I have switched providers three times in the past ten years, I have never been denied.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 2:43 pm

cyberscan wrote:
What will happen is that insurance companies will have their excuse to raise the price of insurance policies for everyone. People will still not be able to get insurance simply because they won't be able to AFFORD it. The meager subsidies offered by the government will not be enough to offset the exorbitant costs. Because they will not be able to afford insurance, the government will have an excuse to steal yet even more money through fines. Let's hope this unconstitutional monstrosity is defeated through the courts, legislation, or as a last resort, defiance of the people. I better way of providing affordable health care to the people involves getting the government out of the business of regulating health care to the extent it does now. I should not have to spend over a hundred dollars a month simply for obtaining permission to purchase a $10 bottle of blood pressure medication.
in finland healt insurance has this system where u pay max 100€/month and in case someting happens u pay 500€ and they pay rest of course your paying goes up if someting happens but not ridiculous amounts more like max 100€ and after they get back to win it goes lower

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 2:57 pm

I have health insurance.