Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

emilyrosecampbell
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 May 2010, 9:10 am

Me, my boyfriend, and 2 friends of ours all have Asperger's we have all experienced the same sort of thing. We were just wondering...
Does anyone else have very vivid prophetic or precognitive dreams? i.e. Extreme Déjà Vu Some of these may happen even years after the dream, but you know an Aspie never forgets. :)
We are trying to figure out if this a an Aspie wide phenomenon or if we are all just exposed to way to much radiation in our home town, which is incredibly more likely to be the case (seriously).

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 11:37 am

I don't know if its an aspie trait but I know that people who suffer epilipsy have these deja vu or premonition issues. I sometimes have a sense of something but don't know what to call it or how to describe it.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 11:38 am

I don't know if its an aspie trait but I know that people who suffer epilipsy have these deja vu or premonition issues. I sometimes have a sense of something but don't know what to call it or how to describe it.

Kiti
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 May 2010, 11:48 am

Sometimes... Though, for me, it's usually something happens to a family member (on very rare occaisions, someone else I know) in the dream, and something similar happens to someone else the next day...

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 12:33 pm

I've always assumed it was just a phenomenon common to dreams, but most people make no serious effort to recall their dreams, so they miss out on it.

Really, I'm always shocked at the number of people who claim they don't dream, when that's medically impossible without severe psychosis. I've also heard many times that most people don't dream in color, which seems stupid - if I suddenly looked around and realized the whole world was black-and-white, the shock would wake me up.

Because, of course, I would be in The Twilight Zone. 8O

Arminius
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 May 2010, 3:19 pm

I do that, but so do some NT friends.

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 3:27 pm

I don't do it in the same way. I can sometimes predict what's going to happen in a specific situation. I don't mean I just get a sudden vision. I have to actually know a lot about what's going on. I can work out what the consequences of certain actions will be when others seem to miss what to me is obvious. It can be creepy so I've learned to keep my mouth shut. I don't think it's like the Cassandra thing that people talk about because it's all very logical and I can explain why I think such and such will happen. If circumstances change I can revise my prediction based on facts. I think it has more to do with my personality type in that I care deeply for people but have slight introverted tendancies. I'm pretty good at picking out people's strengths and weaknesses. So my gift, if it is a gift, is not at all mystical or mysterious, it's more of an insight thing.

I wonder if you and your friends are actually doing something similarly but intuitively. You are getting there in a similar way but not aware of the process. That's what intuition is. Logical reasoning that the reasoner isn't aware of. It comes of doing it so fast you don't know you did it.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 3:58 pm

I told one of my co-workers that I was going to be laid off early in the day that I got laid off. I knew I was right because he did not answer me he kept his his head down and continued working. I guess the boss told him earlier.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 4:03 pm

That happens to me, quite often.

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 5:30 pm

As a child, i would have deja view sometimes 20 times a day.
It slowed as i grew, and now to a point where it's quite rare... can't recall the last time, actually.

Deja View is NOT precognitive.
Your senses absorbs information and sends it to the wrong part of the brain... Specifically the "view" is sent to the "memory" storage. And, by the time your consciousness processes what you're seeing, it sees that there is an exact same memory already in your memory bank. Thus it seems like you've seen something that you've seen before.

Given the different brain wiring I understand AS is all about, this makes complete sense. Things others process in the consciousness we process in subconscious and vice versa. So it doesn't surprise me that we often send sensual info to our memory banks "accidentally"

They are NOT prophetic though.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 8:09 pm

i've had a couple of precognitive experiences. i think they were too specific to write off as chance or faulty wiring but if anyone's got an explanation i'm willing to hear it.

a few were dreams that then transpired, or partially transpired, a few were conscious visions / daydreams. one detail is usually off. for ex i imagined a fight on the playground at recess time in first grade, the next day it happened exactly as i had envisioned it, but rather than the two boys fighting that i had seen, one was the same and one wasn't. another time i dreamt of my then boyfriend trapping a mouse in a specific manner (i think it was a folded piece of paper, scooted into the corner of a room) and the next day it happened, but it was a roach. there's nothing meaningful about the events.

i'm not epileptic, that i am aware of.

druidsbird
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 10:17 pm

Yes, I have those kind of dreams, though not often. They are like an experience of me observing myself observing the world. Then I wake up, and at some point in the future (days, weeks, years later) the dream occurs. I see what the dream me saw before.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 10:21 pm

I sometimes know if it is going to be bad news when the phone rings.

LolaCrazy
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 May 2010, 10:41 pm

First of all it's great Emily that you found a boyfriend that has AS. It would be the best thing in the world if I can find a girlfriend that has AS like me. I sometimes think my AS has made it hard for me to find girlfriends but thats a subject for another time and place.

Is having cognitive dreams a AS trait? I don't know for sure but I have had probibly have just as many of them as you had. Before I lived in Moorehead, Minnesota I had a dream that I saw Fargo-Moorehead on the map. My mom had the same dream. I also have had cognitive dreams of seeing future friends. Back when I was growing up I also had a dream that I was in the house that I live in now. I also had a dream that Tower Records was going out of buisness. A lot of pepole know that dream came true! Back when I was growing up I had dreams which later I found out was me being in Zambia. Those dreams became true too. Do I still have these type of dreams? I don't know but. of course, I will find out!

Eldanesh
Toucan
Toucan

31 May 2010, 11:11 pm

Well, I am unusually conscious during most of my dreams, I recognize I am in them and even seem to be able to consciously contemplate waking up when I'm "sleeping".

I doubt it means anything significant, though.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 11:25 pm

Eldanesh wrote:
Well, I am unusually conscious during most of my dreams, I recognize I am in them and even seem to be able to consciously contemplate waking up when I'm "sleeping".

i do that too, as well as sometimes having completely lucid (although brief) conversations in my sleep, where i think things through before i say them. when i was a kid i used to sleepwalk, and wake up (still walking) in a different room.