It's hypotonia, and it's supposed to be related to AS, among

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

laplantain
Toucan
Toucan

18 Apr 2006, 12:08 am

other things.

I just found out from a special ed preschool teacher that the loose ligaments my son has is called hypotonia and it can be related to a lot of other disorders, including AS!

Now it's all starting to be connected. My husband has an indented breastbone, which can be caused by wierd posturing as a child to compensate for hypotonia. He doesn't have it now, though, because he is not very flexible at all.

Sorry if I'm rambling. It's just that I feel like I found a missing puzzle piece.

DrGonzo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Apr 2006, 12:14 am

That's kind of wierd, as i've always been extremely flexible. I once had physical therapy for my back, and before they get to work they twist you and bend you to see in what kind of shape you are in. The doctor couldn't believe how flexible i was.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2006, 8:50 am

Hello, I had that too, hypotonia as discribed in the dictionary is also meaning below average in muscle strength, I personally had both problems (flexibilty and below average weakness) it was so bad i didnt walk til i was 6 years old!! 8O. If I didn't walk for another week or 2, I would have spent k-3rd in a wheelchair or using braces or some other walking device. on top of that I also had physical therapy from, k to 3rd then occupational from 3rd to about 5th for fine motor. my flexability stayed around until about middle of middle school(I can no longer put my legs behind my head) I have a feeling hypotonia and extreme flexability are part of aspergers becuase of the muscle development is delayed.

Now the only thing i still have is the fine motor development problem out of the 2 problems i had.

Jess

MapReader
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Apr 2006, 10:01 am

That's interesting.

I didn't learn to walk till I was two, and had to wear boots through primary school to support my ankles. I grew out of it, and do lots of hiking these days.

Never was flexible, except that my thumbs are double jointed.

Elanivalae
Raven
Raven

18 Apr 2006, 11:07 am

Interesting...that's never really been a problem of mind save for in my ankles, though I had always (perhaps incorrectly, as I was only guessing) attributed the support issues I have with those to injuries I sustained while I was a dancer when I was younger.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2006, 11:21 am

A case of coincidence not link

Case closed

Chelbi
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Apr 2006, 11:42 am

My 11 yr old that was just dx'd Aspie was also told he has muscle weakness, but it was listed as a seperate issue. very interesting. He can also bend his fingers back until they touch his wrists!! ! And all sorts of other freaky flexibility things.
I myself have always been more flexible that normal too, but I hadn't made the connection before. When I broke my ankle a few years ago the doctor checked my mobility and and thought it was great, but then he watched my other ankle and realized it was way off.
But then, so much seems connected it's hard to tell what really is. Too many interconnected things.

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2006, 3:01 am

In Temple Grandin's book she mentions double jointedness as being an Aspie characteristic.

I thought that was very interesting because out of our family of 6, 2 of us are Aspie and a 3rd is on the spectrum. All three of us are double jointed.

:> earthmom

IkariShinji
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Apr 2006, 6:30 am

I actually tend to have poor flexibility, but whatever else I have, I've got Russell-Silver syndrome which is probably to blame for that.

laplantain
Toucan
Toucan

26 May 2006, 11:59 pm

It is related! The opposite can also happen, which can be seen in the toe walking that is associated with the more serious cases of autism. In that case, the wiring is too fast, and the muscles take too long to relax between stimuli. Different areas of the body can be affected. In my son's case, it is mainly in his upper torso and neck.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2006, 1:56 am

earthmom wrote:
In Temple Grandin's book she mentions double jointedness as being an Aspie characteristic.

I thought that was very interesting because out of our family of 6, 2 of us are Aspie and a 3rd is on the spectrum. All three of us are double jointed.

:> earthmom

Double-jointedness is a myth. It doesn't really exist.

- Ray M -

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2006, 1:59 am

There is absolutely no way that I am hypotonic. If I am anything, it would be hypertonic. I am extremely flexible, and I can accomplish pretty eye-opening gymnastic stunts. Like, I was in school, and I was able to jump through hoops situated above my head. Gym teachers became concerned, because I did it so high that people thought I would end up hurting myself.

- Ray M -

laplantain
Toucan
Toucan

28 May 2006, 12:40 am

[/quote]

Double-jointedness is a myth. It doesn't really exist.

- Ray M -[/quote]

That is true, it's actually loose ligaments that make it seem like people have double joints.

But like I said, hyper or hypotonic, can both be symptoms of ASD

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2006, 11:32 am

Hmmm.

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2006, 8:23 pm

I'm very inflexible - the only flexibility I have is thanks to having danced since the age of three, played the violin since the age of seven. (And the dancing is also responsible for the little balance and co-ordination I have - yay for tap-dancing.)