Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

How many, who have kids with aspergers, worked in a medical facility?
Yes,while pregnant. 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
Yes,while pregnant. 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
No,not at all. 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
No,not at all. 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 14

tiff
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 May 2006, 12:56 am

O.K. first i work in a medical facility.My friend does also. We both had similar reactions from the use of latex gloves or something else that was commonly used in the facility.We both have sons who were born with aspergers. While looking up what the doctor said we were both having reactions to ,we kept getting led to the same place...thimerosal.So my off the wall idea is....Everyone has looked at the possibility of thimerosal containing vaccines for a possible cause of autism ,but has anyone investigated to see if a mother who is pregnant and is exposed to thimerosal through other medical products found in their place of work could also cause autism?Just some food for thought.Oh ,and she was also pregnant while having reactions to this and her son was born autistic also.

sc
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2006, 1:37 am

I wonder if some persons have more sensitivities to vaccination components then others, that those sensitivities might also be hereditary.. Or that a certain predisposition makes for reactionary commonalities more so in certain individuals then others found of average.

flea
Raven
Raven

02 May 2006, 9:16 am

my mom worked in a hopistal

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2006, 12:21 pm

What if I can say that I know enough about my family history to say that they were aspies before there were vaccines or hospitals with thimerosal.

What about the possibilty that aspies are drawn to the medical profession because of their aspieness? There are distinct advantages to being aspie in the medical and emergency professions, and traits like eccentricity, (perceived) arrogance, single mindedness, and expertise in narrow fields were accepted and even valued. Doctors with bad bedside manner are not generally sacked from their jobs. Patients will accept the bad bedside manner in return for an expert diagnosis and effective treatment.

What about the possibilty that there is an increase in diagnosis of aspieness and autism because there has been research, papers published, and health professionals educated.

We were there before WWII - but the labels were not.

What do we do with parents who are trying to "cure" their children for reflecting the parent's own family dark side? Shame on the child for showing up the parent's weaknesses? Are these parents here to propogate their own genes or eliminate them?

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2006, 12:48 pm

wobbegong wrote:
What if I can say that I know enough about my family history to say that they were aspies before there were vaccines or hospitals with thimerosal.

What about the possibilty that aspies are drawn to the medical profession because of their aspieness? There are distinct advantages to being aspie in the medical and emergency professions, and traits like eccentricity, (perceived) arrogance, single mindedness, and expertise in narrow fields were accepted and even valued. Doctors with bad bedside manner are not generally sacked from their jobs. Patients will accept the bad bedside manner in return for an expert diagnosis and effective treatment.

What about the possibilty that there is an increase in diagnosis of aspieness and autism because there has been research, papers published, and health professionals educated.

We were there before WWII - but the labels were not.

What do we do with parents who are trying to "cure" their children for reflecting the parent's own family dark side? Shame on the child for showing up the parent's weaknesses? Are these parents here to propogate their own genes or eliminate them?

One of the theories HOWEVER is not that there is no genetic component - although there are definetely some who insist that this is all purely environmental (vaccines, ect.) but that because autism is neurological that certain families could have a pre-disposed weakness. So not all the those raising questions about the safety of thimerisol or mercury in the environment deny a genetic connection - some feel the genes make them more susceptible. That is why they explain that vaccines don't "cause" autism in the general population but only to a certain segment that for whatever reason is vunerable. My problem with that theory (like thimerisol in the vaccines) is that many are perfectly willing to take the vaccines after the mercury is removed but the other garbage like aluminum and formaldyhyde is STILL in there. That doesn't make any sense because those ingredients could also have the same potential right? So apparently it is ok for the other stuff just not thimerisol. So - you can't put everyone who is wondering about environmental connections into the same catagory.

nomoreality
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 May 2006, 1:55 pm

My other half is a trained nurse and went to medical school. He was working in hospitals for around 10 years before I got pregnant. But he's the dad so I don't know whether that counts.

I know another nurse who has an autistic child and she worked right up until she was almost due to give birth. I also know a midwife and 2 doctors with a whole football team full of aspies/auties.

However, I just don't know what I think about causes. Maybe these people are just more scientifically minded to start with and therefore, more likely to have folks on the autistic spectrum.

If I look at the two of us (I mean how many NT's stayed in the classroom right through the lunch break reading Astronomy books every day or spent the entire summer holidays (aged 9) going to the library and researching a project on churches and visiting every church for miles on their own and having cups of tea with vicars in their vestries!) I think it would be a miracle if we had an NT child!

nomoreality
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 May 2006, 2:08 pm

I would not let my 3 boys have any more jabs with unnecessary preservatives in them. Why would I do this when I know for sure that my own Prime Minister won't let his son have the same. However, although I am not sure about a link between these and the more severe type of autism, I certainly would not discount the fact that these may play a large part in exacerbating the problems of children whose digestive systems are already compromised/sensitive. Dr Wakefield was talking about (autistic) children who were suffering with serious bowel diseases which were making it painful to eat and preventing the children from getting nutrition from their food. I can really see why this bowel disease would also have the knock-on effect of impairing their neurological development too.

When I was pregnant I vomitted non-stop for 9 months. You name it, I puked there. It was horrendous and I had to go on a drip after a while because I could not even drink water without chucking up. I thought I would lose my mind. No-one seemed to think it was a problem. The only things I could really touch were coca cola and ice lollies and I was on anti-sickness pills for the last 3 months but they didn't stop me feeling sick, just being sick. Does anyone else have a similar story. Does it mean anything?

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2006, 5:29 pm

My mom was working as a nurse when I was born.

Other than the bad reaction to laytex, How would thimersol play into this with moms? The only way I could think of where they get exposed would be if they accidently pricked themselves with a needle.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2006, 6:01 am

hubby's mom worked as a nurse ( hubby is aspie)...i have never worked in a hospital setting, though ( son is aspie too).

Cici
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 May 2006, 1:16 pm

I never handled thermasil, but I was in a medical setting constantly.

missydee
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jul 2006, 10:22 am

never worked in a med setting,nobody in my family has,except my sister.My nephew is AS and no medical setting,but all have been vaccinated of course or you cannot attend school