Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Jimbeaux
Toucan
Toucan

02 Aug 2010, 8:18 am

Hey all.

My fiance and her 10 year old son, Billy (Aspie), moved in with me 8 weeks ago. Things have been going great!
He has transitioned very well to the new environment, and without grandma undermining mom's authority, he has been growing as a person by leaps and bounds. We still have a few bumps in the road here and there (like his disagreement with my OCD inspired rule that he has to get a bath 5 times a week), as can be expected, but he is extremely happy and doing very well. It is also good for him to have a strong male role model for the first time in his life.

We also have gotten a dog: Flash, a 1 year old Basset Hound! Perfect dog for him. Low energy, loves everyone in the family equally, and the only negative is his loud bark scares Billy. Billy loves having someone under him in the "pecking order", and the dog listens to him when he tells it what to do. The day after we brought the dog home, I came downstairs and found Flash curled up next to Billy on the couch, who was petting him and watching TV.

School is right around the corner. The school he is going to is MUCH better than his last one, so hopefully he will flourish there.

Thanks for all of your support over the last 2 years!

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2010, 8:35 am

It's great to hear that things are going so well for all of you. :D

Billy and his mother are very lucky to have you.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2010, 11:54 am

Thanks so much for the update. Aspie1 is sure to get a smile from your pecking order comment on the dog, and I am happy to hear well, just that you all are happy.

Hopefully the transition with the new school will go well. I never know with my son what really will be "better," but fingers crossed!

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2010, 2:52 pm

That is great news! Keep up the good work----

Jimbeaux
Toucan
Toucan

02 Aug 2010, 5:22 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Aspie1 is sure to get a smile from your pecking order comment on the dog.

It was his advice that inspired it, and it worked beautifully!! !

DenvrDave
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2010, 6:49 pm

Hey Jimbeaux, good to hear from you and thanks for the update. I agree with Marcia that Billy and his mom are very lucky to have found you. Take care! :D