Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Lessian
Raven
Raven

12 Aug 2010, 4:48 am

Am faced with a situation that needs the input of others.
I am a full time student who has not had a job in a few years. my working history is a nearly constant stream of failure as a result of stress and depression. most of you will probably be able to identify.
I chose biology because its the only field I could find that had the prospects of being a good qualification that I could actually tolerate doing. however lately things have been coming up that strongly indicate that there will be little or no work available for me when I am finished, and now depression is affecting my studies as well. basically there is a strong chance of me dropping out at some point.
this leaves me with the necessity of finding a job. with no qualifications, no skills or experience to speak of, this will be a difficult task. I find myself a bit terrified of the whole work thing and unable to handle even just the looking through job ads. The only help the govt can/will give me is to pass me onto a job search agency.
Was just wondering if there are any useful suggestions out there?

cant endure then you can't inhale

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 6:50 am

It's easier to get a job with a bachelor's degree in ANYTHING, even if it's not the same field as your major. You should finish your biology degree and not worry about the state of the job market for biologists, because a BA will make you eligible for many more jobs and will compensate somewhat for your lack of skills and work experience.

Lessian
Raven
Raven

12 Aug 2010, 9:54 am

Would love to finish my degree, but at this rate it is doubtful that I will be able to. have failed to many subjects due to ongoing issues with depression and stress. thats kinda the whole point of my post is that I may not be in much of a position to get a halfway decent job. Im 28 years old, less job prospects than someone half my age, and to scared and damaged to really get anywhere in life.

baos
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Aug 2010, 12:43 pm

You know what? A bachelors degree makes any job easier to get! Besides that it sounds like you're just scared to relocate. I'm sure you can apply your degree in perhaps another country? Jobs available if you're willing to relocate.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 1:26 pm

I did a Biology degree and let me tell you that there are plenty of jobs out there that don't specify what degree you have, they merely want to know how well you did. So long as you get a decent grade in your degree (and even if you don't) it's far better than not having one. For example, there are plenty of graduate training schemes in large companies that require a 2.1 degree (that's the second best UK classification, I don't know how it is in Australia) or higher. If you had a worse degree you wouldn't even be able to apply.

Lessian
Raven
Raven

12 Aug 2010, 10:08 pm

Ok, forget I said anything. If I knew how to delete this post I would.
The whole point of this post is that I will prob not be be able to study for much longer! Is anyone actually reading what I have written? Is there something wrong with the mental competancy of the reply posters here?
this is why I gave up on this place and left for a while, because it got to frustrating to deal with.

cleo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Aug 2010, 6:44 pm

Okay, first you need to step back and address the depression. You need to make some changes in your life, at least for a little while until things calm down. Are you going full time to school? If so, can you switch to part time?
Or even take a whole semester off?

I got a biology degree at 28 BTW. And my MS by 33. And I've been working in science for 20 years now. Between 16 and 33 I did just about everything you can name. Well, it seemed that way. So it took me alot longer than usual to get it all sorted out. And I have suffered from depression most of my life. I just keep cleaning the kitchen, doing the laundry , and going work, inbetween wondering how and when I will die, and whether this all means anything.

I always had goals, and they kept me going. Get The Degree. No Matter How Long. No can take that away, and it's an accomplishment. I took a whole semester off in my third year because I ran out of money and worked full time. The college hooked me up with an employer for an internship. It only lasted 6 months but it was enough to refuel the bank account, and let me find out how I functioned in a REAL lab.

If the school doesn't have internships, go for a science related field. Veterinary technician is good, hospital lab work, pharmacy technician. Keep your hand in, make a few bucks.