Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

babybuggy32
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2010, 8:54 pm

so weve heard about some associated traits and disorders but can anyone think of any health benefits? im guessing since we usually don't get out much substance abuse is lower i bet.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 9:04 pm

There seem to be a number of addicts on the spectrum.

I've never heard of any such benefits, but someone should look into our likelihood of getting osteoporosis.

NOT A DOCTOR

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 9:22 pm

The average aspie seems to be thinner than the average NT.

Audiophile
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2010, 9:44 pm

I'm not thin, but I'm not the average tub monster. I'm just a brick. Nothing really stands out.

Thomas246
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Aug 2010, 10:06 pm

I seem to be overly analytical and an advanced thinker.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 11:14 pm

It seems like people with Asperger's have worse health because of all the comorbids, and they also tend to eat in excess or forget to eat a lot. I doubt there are any health benefits, other than a tendency to look younger.

olso4644
Raven
Raven

17 Aug 2010, 11:25 pm

u know ive always thought i looked younger why is that

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 11:28 pm

buryuntime wrote:
It seems like people with Asperger's have worse health because of all the comorbids, and they also tend to eat in excess or forget to eat a lot. I doubt there are any health benefits, other than a tendency to look younger.

yeah basically gonna agree with this.

Ive had my days where Id forget to eat entirely, and ive had my days where id just eat non-stop.

As for substance abuse, its a mixed bag. On one hand there is "supposedly" a lower amount that start due to peer pressure and s**t like that BUT there is a large amount that have fallen into it because they just want to get away from reality/forget their problems for a little bit.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 12:02 am

Where do you get that about being thinner? Am I just an outlier, then? What about Callista?

Studies should be done. Definitely.

NOT A DOCTOR

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 12:05 am

DandelionFireworks wrote:
Where do you get that about being thinner? Am I just an outlier, then? What about Callista?

The aspie stereotype is tall, thin, with strange eyes and a large head. But really, I think it can go either way.

olso4644
Raven
Raven

18 Aug 2010, 12:33 am

I TOTALLY FIT THAT! i had no idea my blue eyes came as a result of having aspergers. I can't believe it. I get qutie a few compliments on my blue eyes. That's so cool that it's due to aspergers.

I wonder why this stereotype exists, and how much truth is in it.

This kinda made my night ha.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 3:01 am

LOL Greg House. Blue eyes.

Never heard of that stereotype, though. I don't think I trust it, either.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/posts135242-start30.html This topic came up there.

NOT A DOCTOR

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 4:32 am

buryuntime wrote:

The aspie stereotype is tall, thin, with strange eyes and a large head. But really, I think it can go either way.

Sheldon Cooper. :lol:

The typical aspie is also white by the way.

Since height, head size and eye color/shape are genetically determined and Autism is not linked with trisomy or lack of chromosome but is still genetic, I guess some population tend to be more autistic than others, yet I am pretty sure you can find autistic people anywhere, since many countries do not diagnose much their people, it would be hard to tell that autistic people usually fit a stereotype. I do agree that behaviour also influence weight and height by the way, so we could always take a survey to know whether most aspies are shorter or taller than genetically expected since eating habits influence one's height.

As for weight, some people tend to be fatter than others genetically, I do not know how to explain that in English but it is linked with the amount of cells (those which stock fat) one have at birth, children in a family were people are fatter than average or on the higher end of the average BMI tend to have more fat cells and be fatter as they grow up, though it also depends on one's metabolism. Some persons cannot put on weight and are naturally underweight while other will naturally be overweight (most of the time they will not be obese though).

Eating behaviours also influence a lot you physical appearance and weight. I used to be overweight when I was younger because I suffered from EDNOS (and tend to always eat the same thing), I ate a lot in order to "forget" my problems, it was followed by a week of anorexia. Though I know have a normal BMI of 22, I can tell you that it has changed my physical appearance.

Since Aspies tend to either eat too much or not enough, we can guess that they are more likely to be either thinner than average or fatter, depending on their metabolism.

As for eye colour, I do not believe it to be linked with Autism. I have light-coloured eyes (blue-grey-green mixed) because my mother has blue-green eyes and my father has blue-grey eyes, actually, many of my relatives do not have brown eyes or dark eyes as we have ancestors from Northen Europe (and Spain, I have to admit it). My father and his family are also very tall, it is true that most people who have a borderline asperger personality are in my father's family though. :lol:

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 4:40 am

babybuggy32 wrote:
so weve heard about some associated traits and disorders but can anyone think of any health benefits? im guessing since we usually don't get out much substance abuse is lower i bet.

That's funny. But I did once say that the reason I'm not a heroin addict is because I never had the social skills to get involved in hard drug circles.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 8:48 am

There seem to be a number of addicts on the spectrum.

I've never heard of any such benefits, but someone should look into our likelihood of getting osteoporosis.

I was sipping on an energy drink, as I was reading this. It's speed in a can.

Daftwrist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Aug 2010, 8:57 am

buryuntime wrote:
tall, thin, with strange eyes and a large head...

sounds like an alien :?