Facts about Thailand...Where I originally lived!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

dreamer
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 May 2006, 9:24 am

I live in Thailand.....Many of you asked me where the heck is it! so I would like to give you some more information.... Thanks for the request.... If you like it or even want to know some more leave a post reply in it...
Full Country Name: Thailand (Prathet Thai, meaning "land of the free")

Continent: Asia

Region: SouthEast Asia

Capital: Bangkok (Krung Thep, meaning "city of angels") I live in Bangkok!!

Geography: The kingdom of Thailand lies in the heart of Southeast Asia, making it a natural gateway to Indochina, Myanmar and Southern China. Its shape and geography divide into four natural regions : the mountains and forests of the North; the vast rice fields of the Central Plains; the semi-arid farm lands of the Northeast plateau; and the tropical islands and long coastline of the peninsula South.

The country comprises 76 provinces that are further divided into districts, sub-districts and villages. Bangkok is the capital city and centre of political, commercial, industrial and cultural activities. It is also the seat of Thailand's revered Royal Family, with His Majesty the King recognised as Head of State, Head of the Armed Forces, Upholder of the Buddhist religion and Upholder of all religions.

Thailand is a constitutional monarchy with His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej, or King Rama IX, the ninth king of the Chakri Dynasty, the present king. The King has reigned for more than half a century, making him the longest reigning Thai monarch. Thailand embraces a rich diversity of cultures and traditions. With its proud history, tropical climate and renowned hospitality, the Kingdom is a never-ending source of fascination and pleasure for international visitors.

Neighboring Countries:
1) Myanmar - west and north,
2) Lao P.D.R. - north and northeast,
3) Cambodia - southeast and
4) Malaysia - south.

Population: Thais are well-known for their friendliness and hospitality. A large majority of over 62 million citizens of Thailand are ethic Thai, along with strong communities whose ethnic origins lie in China, India and elsewhere. About 7 million people reside in the capital city of Bangkok...We have southern chinese anchestors...

Language: Spoken and written Thai is largely incomprehensible to the casual visitor. However, English is widely understood, particularly in Bangkok where it is almost the major commercial language. English and some European Languages are spoken in most hotels, shops and restaurants in major tourist destinations, and Thai-English road and street signs are found nationwide. (Thai language is hard for foreigners!! Foreigners= Farang (Thai word)=Guava 55+)

National Flag: The red, white, and blue stripes symbolize the nation, Buddhism, and the monarchy, respectively

Time: The time in Thailand is seven hours ahead of Greenwich Mean Time (+7 hours GMT).

Climate: Thailand enjoys a tropical climate with three distinct seasons-hot and dry from February to May (average temperature 34 degrees Celsius and 75% humidity); rainy with plenty of sunshine from June to October (average day temperature 29 degrees Celsius and 87% humidity); and cool from November to January (temperatures range from 32 degrees Celsius to below 20 degrees Celsius with a drop in humidity).

Much lower temperatures are experienced in the North and Northeast during nighttime. The South has a tropical rainforest climate with temperatures averaging 28 degrees Celsius almost all year round.

I think Thailand is one of the countries which has alot of public holidays let's see it!

The Thai Calendar Thailand has adopted the western calendar to divide the year into days, weeks and months, using Thai names for these units. Years are numbered according to the Buddhist era (BE) which commenced 543 years before the Christian era. Therefore 2003 AD is BE 2546 and 2004 is BE 2547.

New Year's Day : Jan 1
Makha Bucha Day : late January to early March
Chakri Day : April 6
Songkran Day : April 13
National Labour Day : May 1
Coronation Day : May 5
Visakha Bucha Day : May
Asanha Bucha Day : July
Khao Phansa (Buddhist Lent) : July
HM the Queen's Birthday : August 12
Chulalongkorn Day : October 23
HM the King's Birthday : December 5
Constitution Day : December 10
New Year's Eve : December 31

National public holidays Thailand's national public holidays are linked to religious or agricultural traditions and follow the lunar calendar, therefore the dates for some of the holidays change each year

Do's and Don't in Thailand
The Monarchy : Thai people have a deep, traditional reverence for the Royal Family, and a visitor should be careful to show respect for the King, the Queen and the Royal Children.

Religion : Visitors should dress neatly in all religious shrines. They should never go topless, or in shorts, hot pants or other unsuitable attireIt is acceptable to wear shoes when walking around the compound of a Buddhist temple, but not inside the chapel where the principal Buddha image is kept. Each Buddha image, large or small, ruined or not, is regarded as a sacred object. Never climb onto one to take a photograph or do anything which might indicate a lack of respect. Buddhist monks are forbidden to touch or be touched by a woman, or to accept anything from the hand of one. If a woman has to give anything to a monk, she first hands it to a man, who then presents it.

Social Norms :

Thais don't normally shake hands when they greet one another, but instead press the palms together in a prayer-like gesture called a wai. Generally a younger person wais an elder, who returns it.

Thais regard the head as the highest part of the body, literally and figuratively. Therefore, avoid touching people on the head and try not to point your feet at people or an object. It is considered very rude. Shoes should be removed when entering a private Thai home.

Special Advice :

- Beware of unauthorised people who offer their services as guides. For all tourist information, contact the Tourism Authority of Thailand, Tel : 1672. For information about Bangkok, contact the Bangkok Metropolitan Tourist Bureau, Tel : 0 2225 7612-4.

- Observe all normal precautions as regards to personal safety, as well as the safety fof your belongings. Walking alone on quiet streets or deserted areas is not recommended. Be sure that all your valuables-money, jewellery, and airline tickets are properly protected from loss. Visitors needing assistance relating to safety, unethical practices, or other matters, please call the Tourist Police at Tel: 1155.

- Drop your garbage into a waste container. The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration id no strictly enforcing the law in an effort to keep the city clean and healthy. The fine will be imposed on a person who spits, discards cigarette stubs, or drops rubbish in public areas.

- Do not get yourself involved with drugs. Penalties for drug offences are very severe in Thailand.

- Do not support any manner of wild animal abuse. Never purchase any products or souvenirs made from wild animals including reptiles like snakes, monitor lizards, and also turtle shell and ivory. Avoid patronizing local restaurants that serve wild animal delicacies. It is against the law to slaughter wildlife for food in Thailand.

Here are a few Thai basic greetings and phrases to try. :D

Good morning, Good evening, Good afternoon, Good night, Hello, Good-bye =Sa-wat-dee
Hello (male speaker) = sawatdee krup
Hello (female speaker) = sawatdee kaa
Yes = Chai
No = Mai
Mr./Miss/Mrs. = Khun
How are you? = sabai dee reu
Fine thanks = sabai dee
Thank you = kop koon
Never mind = mai pen rai
I can't speak Thai = phoot Thai mai dai
I don't understand = mai kao chai
Do you understand? = kao chai mai
May I take a photograph? = tai ruup dai mai
Where is the rest room? = hong nam yoo tee nai
I am going to.. = Chan-cha-pai..
No, I won't go = Chan-mai-pai
Please drive slowly = Prot-khap-cha-cha
Be careful = Ra-wang
Turn to the right = Liao-khwa
Turn to the left = Liao-sai
Drive straight on = Khap-trong-pai
Slow down = Cha-cha
Stop = Yut
How much does this cost? = nee tao-rai
What is this ? = nee arai
Very expensive = paeng maag
Any discount? = Lot-ra-kha-dai-mai
Please wrap it for me. = Ho-hai-duai
The bill please = gep taang
please speak slowly= Prot-phut-cha-cha
Very Good = Di-mak
Not Good = Mai-Di
Good-bye = la gon
See you again = laew phob gan mai
Good luck = kor hai chok dee
Sorry/excuse me = kor thoad

Hope you will like it!!Try to practice if you want me to tell you more please PM

National Flower: “Ratchaphruek“ (or golden shower)

Ratchaphruek is chosen as national flower because it is widely known to Thais, which it can be plant and seen anywhere throughout the country. It bears beautiful cluster-shaped flowers in summer. The color of flowers is shining yellow contrasting great importance similarly to the color of our national religion ‘Buddhism' and the color of Monday when His Majesty King of Thailand was born.

National Animal: “Chang Thai” (or Thai elephant)
Thai elephant is selected as national animal because it has maintained close link with Thai history and custom, it has a long life, and it is closely related to the livelihood of Thai people as one of transportation means both in times of peace and battles. Especially, ‘white elephant' is deeply connected to King of Thailand, and white elephant was portrayed in the former national flag.

Thai tradition abounds with examples of the elephant playing an important role in the workings of the Kingdom. Most significant of all, perhaps, is the white elephant, prized because it is a rare animal judged fit only for royal duties.

According to ancient royal Thai traditions, a white elephant is a noble beast of special importance, exemplifying a king's honor and glory. Known in Thai as Chang Samkhan, a white elephant is a gift fit for a king and to acquire one during his reign, will bring about prosperity and happiness throughout the kingdom.

National Architecture: “Sala Thai” (or Thai-style arbor)
Sala Thai reflects knowledge of Thai people. It retains beauty, which is different from architectures of other countries, and foreigners can acknowledge ‘Thai-ness' through Sala Thai

Hey let's talk about the tourist attraction in Thailand!! But Bangkok first!!

ROYAL GRAND PALACE (Bangkok)

When King Rama I took the throne as the first monarch of the Chakri Dynasty in 1781, he moved his capital from Thonburi to the other bank. He then ordered the construction of the Royal Grand Palace as the centre of the new city.

Inside the Royal Grand Palace are the Maha Monthien group of buildings, the Throne Halls, and other palaces and buildings. These have been renovated, refurbished, repaired, extended and added to continually as appropriate to every reign since then.

Chakri Throne Hall: Hybrid Thai-European architecture built in the reign of King Rama V with the throne hall itself in European style and the roof in a Thai throne hall style.

Chakrapatpiman Throne Hall: The chief throne hall of the Monthien group, and the early Chakri kings mostly stayed in this throne hall.

Dusit Throne Hall: Cruciform style built in the reign of King Rama I. Inside is a Throne decorated in pearl and Phratanratchabanjathorn, a couch of King Rama I.

Royal Decorations & Coins Division: Ranks and coinage has 13 exhibition rooms: Rooms 1-3, royal ranks; Room 6, the apparel of the Emerald Buddha which is changed according to season; Room 7, royal regalia and Room 12, historical money etc.

CHITRALADARAHOTARN PALACE (Bangkok Opposite to my University)

King Rama VI used to write his literary war in this area formerly known as Sompoy Field. H later named the pavilion Chitraladarahotarn Palace, and King Rama VII commanded it to be annexed to Dusit Garden Palace. Today the palace is thq residence of Their Majesties King Bhumibol and Queen Sirikit

Royal Chitralada Projects: These are the Royal demonstration projects which HM the King has initiated for his subjects. They are non-profit endeavours inside the palace grounds, and include rice growing, rice milling and dairy farming. Chitralada School: Built in the grounds of the palace, the school was first intended for print and princesses. Later, however, the school enroll children of the staff who worked in the palace Today, the children of people not associated with the palace are admitted, from kindergarten rev to the 12th grade.

Dusitalai Pavilian: This all-purpose hall ' is loften used as a venue for HM the King to grant audiences.

SUPPORT Foundation: Many kinds of of art and crafts are taught here, and it is also where to m crafts can be preserved and developed. It no houses a collection of handicrafts, from all regions of the country, i.e. gold, silver and lacquerware, Lipao basketry and silk weaving among many others.

Wat Phra Kaeo (Never come to Thailand if you bever come here before!)

The temple is in the outer section of the Royal Enclosure west of the Grand Palace . It was built on the orders of King Rama I along with the Grand Palace and Rattanakosin Island , and is built as a temple in a Royal compound like Wat Sri Sanphet in Ayutthaya . It has no resident monks.

The Emerald Buddha (Phra Putta Maha Mani Ratana Patimakorn or Phra Kaeo Morakot): This is a Buddha image in the meditating position in the style of the Lanna school of the north, dating from the 15th century AD. King Rama I brought it from Vientiane , and it is considered to be the most important Buddha image in the country.

Model of Angkor Wat: King Rama IV had this built by Phra Samphopphai when Cambodia was under Siamese control. The model was recreated in plaster at the behest of King Rama V to celebrate the first centenary of the Royal city.

Prasat Phra Thepidon: This four-square prang originally called "Puttaprang Prasat" was built in the reign of King Rama IV. Inside are statues of Kings Rama I-King Rama VIII, to which the public pay their respects on Chakri Day, April 6, every year.

Mondop:This structure stands behind Prasat Phra Thepidon, and was built in the reign of King Rama I. Inside is a cabinet holding the Buddhist scriptures beautifully decorated in mother-of-pearl.

Balcony: This can be compared to the temple wall. The murals inside tell the Ramayana story in its entirety. On the columns of the balcony are stone inscriptions of the verses describing the murals.

Phra Sri Ratana Chedi: Built in the style of Wat Sri Sanphet in Ayutthaya , this chedi is to the west of the Monhop. Inside is a small chedi with relics of the Lord Buddha.

Phra Atsada Maha Chedi: This group of eight chedis stands in front of the temple. It was built in the reign of King Rama I and dedicated to the heavens. Six of the group are outside the balcony, two are inside. Each has its own name.

Yaksa Tavarnbal (Gate-keeping Giants): Six pairs of mythical ogres stand at each gate of the Balcony. These are the main Giants of the Ramayana.

Hor Phra Khanthan-rat: Standing in the estern corner of the balcony, this is where the Phra Puttakhanthan-rat figure is enshrined. It presides over the Royal rain-making ceremony and the ceremony of the first rice planting. Inside are paintings by the mural artist Khrua In Khong.

Hor Phra Ratcha Karamanusorn: Inside this structure are 34 Buddha images in various positions, built by command of King Rama III and dedicated the kings of Ayutthaya and Thonburi.

Hor Phra Ratcha Pongsanusorn: Built in the reign of King Rama IV, this is the location of the Buddha image of the reigning King of the Rattanakosin Era. Inside are murals of Royal chronicles of Ayutthaya by Khrua In Khong.

Hor Phra Nak: Situated behind the temple, this traditional Thai building roofed with glazed tiles contains the ashes of the Royal family.

Foreigner's community (Khao sarn Road)

The word Kaosan in Thai means rice, this use to be a place where rice are sold (uncooked) that's where the name came from. Now it is the gate way for economy class tourist where cheap accommodations and active night life is offered.

The night life in Kaosan is very lively from cheap street side restaurants to large establishments. The ambiance is quite unique a mixture of foreign tourist and young locals in a present day street side Bangkok setting with international music.
Many services are offered here from hair beads services to 10 baht Padthai (Thai stir fried noodles).
It is a nice place for people watching. It is a gathering place of people from all over the world. People from each country with different culture and background are unique. If you are an observer you will see a behavior pattern which will identify the origin of people from each country. Just sit have a beer and relax enjoy watching the world go by.

CANAL BOAT TRIP (Bangkok)

The life-style of the Thai people has always been associated with waterways. With the coming of roads and tall commercial buildings, the view along Bangkok waterways has been constantly ch iging over the years.

Canal Boat Trip: The best time to make a canal boat trip would be around six o'clock in the morning in order to capture the authentic atmosphere and the varied activity which begins early in the day :Monks receiving alms, children hurrying to chool, and boats delivering vegetables from far s to markets.

Boat trips in the afternoon are best taken aft two p.m. to avoid the heat of the mid-day sun. Th traditional Thai lifestyle can still be found alc g several waterways such as the Daokanong, Ba khunthien and Lart canals. Here visitors can dis wer the more tranquil face of life in Bangkok.

A tour might begin with a visit to the National Museum of the Royal Barges, then to see the m, als at Wat Suwannaram. After that, go to see the Guanyin, feed the Swai fish (Pangasius foroleri), ar visit Sala Karnparian at Wat Shepakhao. Then go to Khlong Chakpra for lunch at Talingchan Flc ting Market. From there, go to the floating ubosot of of Wat Phigunthong. Finally, pay a visit to the Sukhothai ubosot in the old merchant ship Sumpaoshape at Wat Chalor.

PHRA SUMERU FORTRESS (Bangkok)
Phra Sumeru Fortress, built in the reign of King Rama I, is the largest existing fortress of all 14 which now only two exist. The other is the Mahakan Fortress. The large area was established as a public park on the occasion of the 6th cycle of King Rama IX on the December 5th, 1999.
Entrance is free for all; prohibited areas are the fort itself (octagon shaped buildings with wall surrounding) and the Thai-style pavilion, which is for royal ceremonies.

Joe is an American who now prefers to live mostly in Thailand. "Vacation time for me is in Thailand."

GIANT SWING

The Ceremony of Triyampavai-Tripavai, was one of the 12 Royal ceremonies held in each month since the Sukhothai period. It was carried out in December, the first lunar month. By the Rattanakosin period, it had changed to the second lunar month, January.
It was regarded by the Brahmins as a new year's ceremony. Shiva was said to visit the Earth for 10 days every year. Brahmins would meet at Shiva's shrine and wash the bodies and hair of priests to welcome Shiva.

Swing Ceremony: Originates from a story in the scriptures. Concerned about the end of the world, Uma Devi contrived a bet with Shiva. A serpent was suspended between Putsa trees (Jujube) on the river, swinging back and forth between them. Shiva stood in its path on one leg with the other crossed. If the serpent struck Shiva and he fell, that would signify that the world would end. But Shiva did not fall, proving that the whole of creation was secured and strong, so Shiva won.

The Swing Ceremony compares the swing to the Putsa trees, while the space between its posts is the river. Naliwan is the serpent, with Phraya Yuen standing cross-legged on a benjamas wood.
Giant Swing: King Rama I ordered it built in front of the Devasathan at the centre of the city. It was moved to its present position in the reign of King Rama V, to make room for a gas plant. The ceremony was removed from the list of royal ceremonies in the reign of King Rama VII. At present, it may still be held with Royal sponsorship, but only in the Devasathan.

CHATUCHAK PARK AND CHATUCHAK. WEEKEND MARKET (Heaven of shoppers in Thailand)

The State Railway of Thailand donated this y land to build a park according to the wish of HM the King on the occasion of his 4th Cycle birthda in 1976.
Inside the park are many varieties of trees and plants in gardens with different themes. There is a herbal garden, for instance, and another devoted to flowers in literature.

Chatuchak Market: A heaven for shoppers, especially if they are ready to bargain. The plant market is held every Wednesday and Thursday, while at the weekend it becomes the biggest market in Thailand , bringing together 8,000 stalls from all parts of the country.
A look at the plan of the market shows that it is divided into 26 areas. The kinds of products to be found include antiques, books and magazines , fashions, food, furniture, handicrafts, jewellery , paintings, pets, plants, and miscellaneous items.

Six Asean Sculptors: This exhibition shows the work of artists from the six countries of the Asean region: Brunei , Indonesia , Malaysia , The philipines, Singapore and Thailand .

Prestigious Train Hall: Located near Gate 2, this , the place to study history and view displays of p st forms of transport, from London taxis to japanese patrol cars used during World War II.

CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION (Bangkok)
This church was founded by Portuguese resideents in 1674 during the reign of King Narai. Arc bishop Lano named it 'Immaculate Conception "The present church was built in 1847, and in its compound there is a smaller, older church known as Wat Noi.

Guys This is just some samples there's more places to go to... I will post some more later.. Thanks for looking...

Me with my brother....

hyper_alien
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2006, 9:26 am

LIKE COOL
I am interested to know more about Thailand as, from reading above, it sounds like a very interesting country to live in.
:D 8)

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2006, 3:58 pm

Is it true that H.R.H. had a son diagnosed with AS, and that he was a causualty in the tidal wave that struck Phuket?

boothinator
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 May 2006, 9:21 pm

My girlfriend is half Thai -- Her mom is from Thailand, somewhere north of Bangkok, I don't remember. Her mom brought several of her family members over, too.

dreamer
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 May 2006, 11:46 pm

Thanks to Hyper_alien,Fogman and Boothinator...

Answer for Fogman : Khun Bhumi Jensen His Majesty the King's grandson, was graduated 10th grade (special class) in California and moved back to Thailand to study special class for autistic students in Kasetsart demostration school and sports science program in Kasetsart University before the death due to the Tsunami disaster in year 2005 in the south of Thailand. He was diagnosed as autism not AS.

Let's continue...about tourists attration in Bangkok

Introduction to Vimanmek Palace

Upon his return from Europe in1897, King Rama V (1868-1910) used his personal money to purchase orchards and paddy fields between Padung Krungkasem Canal and Samsen Canal for the construction of a royal garden which he named “the Dusit Garden”.

The first permanent residence in Dusit Garden was Vimanmek Mansion, built in 1900 by the royal command of King Rama V. The mansion was in fact his former Summer Palace, the Munthaturaltanaroj Residence of the Chuthathujrachathan at Koh Sri Chang, Chonburi, that was dismantled and rebuilt under the supervision of HRH Prince Narissaranuwaddhiwongse. The celebration for the completion of Vimanmek Mansion was held on March 27, 1901. King Rama V moved from the Grand Palace to reside in Vimanmek Mansion for 5 years until the completion of the Amporn Satarn Mansion in 1906 where he lived until his untimely death in 1910. As a result, Vimanmek Mansion become deserted and the royal family moved back to the Grand Palace.

In 1925, near the end of his reign, King Rama VI gave permission to for H.R.H. Indharasaksaji, his wife, to take up residence in a section of Vimanmek Mansion. After his death, she moved to the Residence in Suan Hong compound situated north of Vimanmek Mansion. Since then, the Vimanmek Mansion has not been used as a royal residence and has been used as a place of storage by the Bureau of the Royal Household for the past 50 years.

King Rama VII ordered a few renovations to the Mansion. For example, he ordered the installation of electrical wiring and repairs to the main pier at the man-made lake in the garden.

In 1982, on the auspicious occasion of the Royal Bicentennial Celebrations of Bangkok, Her Majesty the Queen asked for His Majesty’s permission to renovate the Mansion to be used as a museum to honour King Rama V by displaying his photographs, art and artefacts to commemorate royal visits to Europe as well as to exhibit Thai handicrafts to serve as a showcase of the national heritage for future generations.

Vimanmek Mansion

Vimanmek Mansion is the largest residence in Dusit Garden. Its elaborate architectural style reflects a western influence. The building has two right-angled wings. Each wing is 60 metres long and 20 metres high. It is a three-storey building except for the part where the King resided, which is octagonal and has four-storeys. The ground floor is brick and cement while the upper floors are built of golden teakwood planks. There are altogether 31 exhibition rooms, some of which maintain the atmosphere of the past, especially the bedrooms, the Audience Chamber and the bathrooms. Some rooms house exhibitions of art works, for example, there is a silverware display room, a ceramic display room, a glassware display room and an ivory display room.

Besides Vimanmek Mansion and the Amporn Satarn Mansion in the compound of Dusit Garden or Dusit Palace (as it was later renamed by King Rama V), King Rama V allocated plots of land for the construction of residences for his Queens, consorts, sisters, daughters, and his other wives. He also named gardens, canals, gates and roads after the names of ancient Chinese porcelain commonly called “Khrueng Kim Tung”, which were very popular at the time. For example, the residence that belonged to Her Majesty Queen Srisawarindhira was named Suan Hong Residence (Swan Garden Residence). Now these residences, which are no longer used by the Royal Family and located north of Vimanmek Mansion, have been turned into museum buildings and a hall for royal coaches to be shown to the general public.

Here are some pictures of the Vimanmek Mansion and the buildings in the area of the mansion

Front of the mansion

Abhisek Dusit throne hall

SUAN HONG RESIDENTIAL HALL (Exhibition of Royal Ceremonial Photography)

SUAN KULARB RESIDENTIAL HALL (Exhibition of H.M. King Bhumibol's Oil Paintings)

SUAN FARANG KANGSAI RESIDENTIAL HALL (Royal Paraphernalia Building I)

Nice car isn't it!? wanna see just come to the ROYAL CARRIAGE BUILDINGS NO. 1, 3

I love this building the most it's called SUAN SI RUE DU RESIDENTIAL HALL

SUAN SI RUE DU = Four seasons garden

This is some for the mansion...if you have to a chance to come try and visit it....

Siam Ocean World (In Siam Paragon Bangkok!!)

A new attractions in downtown Bangkok. Open in December 2005, Siam Ocean World will be the largest aquarium in Southeast Asia. With world-standard exhibits and features, the aqaruim comprises a 270-degree acrylic under ocean tunnel, a panoramic oceanarium with a 360-degree view through a 10.5 metre diametre fishbowl, an 8-metre deep reef tank and a rainforest display. More than 400 species or 30,000 marine animals including Penguins, Blue Ring Octopus, Gray Nurse Sharks, Elephant Nose Sharks, Leafy Sea Dragons and Giant Spider Crab can be seen.

http://www.siamoceanworld.co.th for more information...

Jim Thompson's Museum

Jim Thompson's house with the Thai architectural style

His drawing room

This exquisite collection of traditional Thai house stands as a museum to the man who revived the Thai silk industry after the Second World War.

The story of James H.W. Thompson is one upon legends are made. After serving in the U.S.A. armed forces, Jim Thompson settled in Thailand and found the tremendous opportunity to re-establish the Thai silk industry. In recognition of his services to the country, he was bestowed the royal award of The Order of the White Elephant.

The company he founded, Jim Thompson Thai Silk, is recognized worldwide for its brilliant creations.

He was an avid collector of Asian artifacts and antiques and The Jim Thompson's House is possibly the epitome of his collection.

Before his mysterious disappearance in the Cameron Highland in Malaysia in 1967, his house was the talk of the town where he entertained his friends and visitors including the like of Somerset Maugham.

The house sits on approximately a half acre of land on Mahanak Canal. Ban Khrua village where his silk weavers lived and worked. Is just on the other side of the canal. To build the house he gathered 6 original traditional teak structure from different parts of the country and brought carpenter from Ayutthaya who completed the house in 1959.

The gardens are equally impressive with a lush tropical jungle imitating nature's haphazard beauty right in the center of the city.

Jim Thompsons connoisseur collection of antiques and artifacts is on permanent exhibition, making this a magnificent museum of the lifestyle of the legend.

For more information http://www.jimthompsonhouse.com

Here's a recommended places in Bangkok to go and visit... so let's talk about the Festivals in Bangkok....

I don't know have you heard about the Water festival in Thailand before???

Bangkok Songkran Festival

April 12-14 (The hottest day of the year!!)

The traditional Thai New Year is an occasion for merriment all over the city, but most notably at Sanam Luang, near the Grand Palace, where the revered Phra Phuttha Sihing image is displayed and bathed by devotees. In the Wisutkasat area, a Miss Songkran beauty contest is held and accompanied by merit-making and entertainment. Khao San Road, Bang Lamphu area is also one of the high-spots in the city to experience the water-throwing activities between locals and tourists.
during this festival we are allow to play water splash softly on each other.. pour water on the hands of the elders which means to you give respect to them.

YaY!! ! Guys this is Bangkok...tourist attraction and festivals so lets move on to Chiang Mai ...but not today....It will be later when I am free...

Any suggustions please leave it as a post reply...

dreamer
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 May 2006, 9:15 am

Breaking News anyone who like plants!! If you are one of the fans like me...
I have an exhibition or you!!

Introduction

In 2006, the Thai nation comes together to celebrate the most auspicious occasions of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej’s 60th Anniversary or the Diamond Jubilee of His Majesty’s Accession to the Throne together with His Majesty’s 80th Birthday Anniversary.

To mark this momentous occasion, “Royal Flora Ratchaphruek” is one of the grand celebrations being hosted by the Royal Thai Government in honor of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej (Rama IX), the ninth ruler of the illustrious Chakri Dynasty and the world’s longest reigning monarch. His Majesty is ‘Father of the Nation’ and ‘Beloved King’ to the Thai people.

Royal Flora Ratchaphruek 2006 represents a concerted effort of the Thai people to create one of the world’s most beautiful international horticultural expositions as an expression of deep love and respect for their Beloved King who has won the hearts of Thai people across the Kingdom through His Majesty’s tireless dedication to bringing about a better quality of life of for the Thai people through His Majesty’s gifts in agricultural projects as well as valuable lessons in life.

Through Royal Flora Ratchaphruek 2006 -- International Horticultural Exposition for His Majesty the King, the Thai people come together to express their utmost gratitude for His Majesty’s benevolence, care and concern. Time-honored traditions will be observed; only the very finest available will be presented to the ‘Devaraja’ or ‘Divine King’. This will be an exposition that deserves the name “International Horticultural Exposition for His Majesty the King.”

Thailand will be joined by her international friends -- nations with whom Thailand has shared history, cultural, diplomatic and trade ties, many spanning the centuries. Over 30 countries are expected to participate in ‘Gardens for the King’. The International Gardens will feature unique or innovative landscaping and horticultural highlights from the participant’s homeland.

The expo site is situated on 80 hectares of land at the Royal Agricultural Research Center in Mae Hia sub-district, Muang district, Chiang Mai Province in Northern Thailand. Set amidst the lush landscape of the surrounding mountains, the location provides a picture-perfect setting for Royal Flora Ratchaphruek 2006.

A one-of-a-kind event, Royal Flora Ratchaphruek 2006 is being organized to present to the world the marvels of plants and breeds of over 2,200 species of tropical plants and flowers. 2,500,000 plants in total will be enriching the land and the minds of onlookers.

Presented under the theme of ‘To Express the Love for Humanity’, conceptual designs and layouts of the event have been conceived to function seamlessly with and to complement the remarkable geographical surroundings.

The foundation of the Kingdom of Thailand lies in the glory of Buddhism and the Monarch whose kindness towards His people is like the comforting shade of a big tree with a canopy that extends incessantly to provide sanctuary for His people.

Destined to be a wondrous spectacle, during the 92 days of the expo, Royal Flora Ratchaphruek 2006 is expected to draw an audience of over 2 million visitors from around the world.

Celebrations of this magnitude happen only once in decades. So mark your calendar and join us in Thailand for this historic event not to be missed. We warmly welcome you to Chiang Mai, Thailand.

Fast Facts :D

Hosted by: Royal Thai Government
Organizing Agency: Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives Department of Agriculture
Horticultural Science Society of Thailand
Venue: Royal Agricultural Research Center,
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Duration: 1 November 2006 – 31 January 2007
Site Area: 80 hectares/ 7200 m-walking track
Exhibition Zones:

Gardens for the King
The outdoor landscape exhibition area consists of 30 international gardens and 80 domestic gardens. Each garden has a site area of 500sqm.

Foreign and national exhibitors are invited to express respect for HM the King or highlight historic links between His Majesty’s royal activities through demonstration of the arts of garden, blooms and blossoms, literature, tradition and cultural performances.

Thai Tropical Garden
World of Tropical Plants & Flowers

Designed by Thailand’s famous landscaper, this is a state-of-the-art garden showcase of Thailand’s plants and flowers. It is supposed to be the most comprehensive collection of tropical horticultural species, fruit plants, flowers, orchids, herbs and greenery.

The Royal Pavilion (Haw Kham in Thai), and grand amphitheatre are located in this zone.

Expo Plaza
This is the center point of the exposition activities, amenities and services. The plaza embraces the indoor exhibition hall, which is used basically for specialized exhibition, competition, conference, workshop and seminar. There will be covered and uncovered marketplace for plants and flowers, souvenirs and traditional handicrafts.
Scope of Exhibition: All kinds of flowers and horticulture as well as horticulture-related techniques, supplies and trade.

Royal Flora Ratchaphruek 2006 Mascots

Royal Flora Ratchaphruek has enlisted the help of its nine adorable mascots to help promote the event nationwide.

Team Leader Nong Khun and his companions have been on a tour around Thailand urging Thais to be proud hosts of Royal Flora Ratchaphruek 2006 — an impressive world-class international expo of tropical flora. During the expo, visitors from Thailand and all over the world will be treated to a dazzling spectacle of over 2.5 million tropical plants representing over 2,200 species.

While on his travels, Nong Khun is accompanied by Nong Kulap representing the Queen Sirikit Rose; Nari representing the Lady’s Slipper Orchid, paphiopedilum; Bua representing the lotus; Kan Yao, representing durian — ‘king’ of tropical fruits; Mangkhut representing mangosteen — ‘queen’ of tropical fruits; Fak Bua — the plant watering can — represents a boy who takes care of the plants; Chon, the Chinese radish; and Ta Thung, the scarecrow.

These cartoons are so cute!! I love them...

Nong Khun or Ratchaphruek Image
Nong Khun, Team Leader of the Royal Flora Ratchaphruek mascots is also known by his full name, “Ratchaphruek” which means the Golden Shower Tree, the national tree of Thailand.

Nong Khun and his buddies have been on a Royal Flora Ratchaphruek tour around Thailand. Nong Khun is a nature lover and a thrill-seeker at heart. He likes action and adventure … and constantly goes in search of new knowledge. He’s creative – always coming up with new thoughts and ideas and thinking up new challenges for his friends.

Nong Kulap, Image
Nong Kulap represents the Queen Sirikit Rose, a hybrid tea rose considered to be ‘rose royalty’. A cross between the Color Wonder and Golden Giant varieties of rose, the Queen Sirikit Rose is a hybrid tea rose of impressive quality, noted for its large blossom consisting of multiple layers of delicately fragrant bright yellow petals trimmed with a reddish hue growing from a long strong stem. Nong Kulap is sweet, smart, gentle, polite, gracious, humble, patient, cautious and thorough. She’s a modern young lady but well-endowed with the fine qualities of a traditional Thai lady. She’s equally skilled in Thai culinary art and traditional Thai handicraft.

Nari, representing Lady’s Slipper, paphiopedilum Image
Nari is a naughty little princess who is Kulap’s neighbor. A mischievious character, Nari always gets into trouble and leaves a trail of chaos wherever she goes. Smart… in sort of a cheeky sort of way, Nari has many funny stories to share with us.

Bua Image
Bua, symbolic of the lotus, represents all that is pure and embodies Buddhist virtues. Bua is a conservative Thai beauty who diligently observes time-honored Thai customs and traditions in every detail. Given Bua’s aristocratic upbringing, Bua is highly skilled in traditional Thai art and crafts such as the preparation of Thai food and desserts, the art of making floral garlands, fruit and vegetable carving and other crafts. Bua is every bit a true Thai girl. She’s sensitive, easily frightened and cries a lot. Bua and Kulap are childhood friends and are often seen together.

Kan Yao Image
Kan Yao represents durian — ‘king’ of tropical fruit. Kan Yao is a young lad from Chanthaburi province. He has a robust well-built physique. Kan Yao is a good-natured, fun-loving and down to earth sort of guy. He’s a natural comedian ever ready to share light-hearted jokes with his friends and is much loved by everyone he meets. Kan Yao loves to read and has a keen interest in horticulture. He also enjoys spending time with Tha Thung, from whom he gains much knowledge about horticulture.

Mangkhut Image
Mangkhut represents mangosteen. ‘Queen’ of tropical fruits, mangosteen has delicate snow-white flesh that is deliciously sweet and flavorful. Mangkhut is a hot favorite with the Kan Yao lads. Self-assured and confident, Mangkhut is a true socialite. She indulges in luxury and is always ‘in trend’. Also an extrovert, Mangkhut loves to sing and model, posing for fashion photos at every opportunity. Mangkhut’s vocabulary is distinctly T-inglish.

Fak Bua Image
Fak Bua represents the plant watering can. A young lad who tends the gardens, Fak Bua loves gardening with his heart and soul. He waters the plants, tills the soil and looks after his precious plants with tender love and care everyday so they blossom and bloom. When friends squabble and fight and tempers flare, Fak Bua cools things down. He’s loved by all.

Chon Image
Chon represents the Chinese radish, native to the Asian continent. A country boy from the northern hills with a love of adventure, Chon has dreams of traveling the world so Chinese radish becomes known to the world. Chon is temperamental and short-tempered and often creates a scene. He’s really not quite with it and is frequently out of step. He sees himself as a ‘cool dude’, clever and courageous but when the going gets tough, Chon is first to flee the scene. Jon vows to play tricks on Nari but as he’s forever tripping over himself, he has yet to succeed.

Ta Thung, the scarecrow Image
Ta Thung is a gentle and kind old man we affectionately call ‘grandpa’ (‘khun ta’ in Thai). Ta Thung represents the scarecrow, the loyal and trusted friend of the farmers. Baked by the sun and battered by the wind and rain, the scarecrow stands guard and remains vigilant chasing away birds that threaten to invade the rice-fields. Never short of entertaining stories to share with his young friends, Ta Thung is adored by the children. He’s also their best friend. A wise and knowledgeable man, the young ones seek his advice. He listens to them patiently and helps solve their problems. Kan Yao, the young man from Chanthaburi, frequently stops by to seek Ta Thung’s advice on matters related to agriculture… as well as affairs of the heart. Time after time, Kan Yao walks away with sound advice and is never disappointed.

Exhibition Highlights

GARDENS FOR THE KING
Path of Wisdom
His Majesty the King’s care and concern for the lives of the people, combined with His intimate knowledge and expertise in agriculture have resulted in the introduction and successful implementation of thousands of Royal Projects which have improved the quality of life for millions.

“Gardens for the King” which comprises “International Gardens” and “Corporate Gardens” will not only nourish the visitors’ eyes with cultural and horticultural beauty but will also enrich their minds with exotic cultures and knowledge of agricultural Royal Projects.

INTERNATIONAL GARDEN
This area is allocated for exhibitions of national blossoms, blooms, and horticulture as well as the cultural arts and architecture of 30 countries from around the world.

Each garden will reflect a historic diplomatic, cultural and trade ties between nations, people or, where possible, royal families of the two countries.

CORPORATE GARDEN
Each of the 80 gardens from state enterprises and domestic and international major corporations will utilize creative garden design to visually illustrate and commend a range of concepts, theories and ‘best practices’ behind Royal Projects initiated by His Majesty the King and which reflect His Majesty’s tremendous insight and ingenuity.

THAI TROPICAL GARDEN
The Way of Life
Encompassing an area of over a hundred thousands square meters, the “Thai Tropical Garden” is a colossal classroom that showcases the vast diversity in the way of life of tropical lands. Visitors will be able to witness first-hand an extensive variety of tropical horticulture encompassing fruits, plants, flowers and herbs.

EXPO PLAZA
The Way of Light
As visitors stroll down the path away from the leisurely ambience of the Expo Plaza, the center point of the exposition activities, amenities and services, towards the Royal Pavilion, they find themselves being drawn towards the majestic Royal Pavilion constructed in the exquisite Lanna architectural style.

The Royal Pavilion is located right in the heart of the event site. Inside, visitors will be held in awe by the countless ways in which the lives of the people have been positively affected by His Majesty the King’s works and dedication.
These spectacular exhibitions and garden and flower competitions, as well as many other activities, will keep visitors entertained throughout the day. An average of 20,000 visitors per day, with over 100,000 visitors on a crowded day, and 2 million visitors in total are expected to attend Royal Flora Ratchaphruek 2006.

Apart from examples of floral, decorative and rare plants, plants of different species showcased by participants will also be on display.

Visitors will also be presented with ample opportunities to purchase products from the Royal Projects as well as excellent local handicrafts noted for their uniqueness and exceptional quality and for which there is considerable demand, worldwide.

In addition, several sections have been allotted for a variety of fun-filled activities that will be both informative and entertaining.

Local and international artists will organize seminars on topic relating to agricultural technology in a modern auditorium in the city of Chiang Mai, while the spacious arena for outdoor activities will serve as the venue for art and cultural exhibitions as well as performances.

GREATER LANNA
Royal Flora Ratchaphruek 2006 is preparing to welcome visitors from around the world to Chiang Mai and the neighboring provinces that were once part of the ancient northern Thai kingdom of ‘Lanna -- land of a million fields’.

Chiang Mai’s mountainous landscape provides a picturesque natural setting for the festive celebrations staged during Royal Flora Ratchaphruek to mark the most auspicious occasions of the 60th anniversary or the Diamond Jubilee celebrations of His Majesty’s Accession to the Throne in 2006 and the 80th Birthday Anniversary of His Majesty the King of Thailand in 2007.

A one-of-a-kind event, Royal Flora Ratchaphruek presents a wealth of opportunities for visitors to Thailand to experience the spell-binding natural and cultural splendor that represents the finest of ‘Lanna heritage’ that can still be found in Chiang Mai and further beyond in the Greater Lanna provinces. All offer a diverse choice of tourist attractions, particularly the many breathtaking horticultural and botanical gardens and parks that include Doi Tung -- home to the Mae Fah Luang Garden, Mae Fah Luang Arboretum on Doi Chang Mub mountain peak, the botanical gardens that are part of the Mae Fah Luang Art and Cultural Park in Chiang Rai province and the Queen Sirikit Botanical Gardens in Mae Sa.

The map of the exhibition...

1 – 12 November 2006 Royal Flora Ratchaphreuk 2006 Opening Ceremony
International Flower Expo

11 – 19 November 2006
Vegetables, Fruits and Mushrooms Exhibition

8 November 2006
‘Loi Krathong – Festival of Light’
18 – 26 November 2006
Aquatic Plants Exhibition

25 November – 3 December 2006
International Tropical Fruits and Banana Exhibition

2 – 10 December 2006
All kind of Golden Flowers and Ornamental Plants Exhibition

5 December 2006
King Bhumibol Adulyadej’s Birthday

9 – 17 December 2006
Bonsai, Fern, Succulent and Palm Exhibition

16 – 24 December 2006
Fragrant Plants, Foliage & Cut Leaf Exhibition

23 – 31 December 2006
Potted Flowers Plants Exhibition

31 December 2006 – 1 January 2006
New Year Countdown
30 December – 14 January 2007
Orchid Exhibition

13 – 21 January 2007
Medicinal Plants & Herbs Exhibition

20 – 28 January 2007
Tropical Ornamental Plants Exhibition
Closing Ceremony

Information about Thai flora and Thai ways

http://www.royalfloraexpo.com/Thai_Flor ... /index.asp

Samples of the international gardens

Quatar (Connection Of Sea And Dessert)

Japan (Garden of Luck)

Bhali Style garden (Indonesia)

Colourful tulips and windmill (Netherlands)

Whole exhibition

International garden

Thai garden

Expo Plaza

Royal Pavillion

Amphitheater

Exhibition Hall

Royal Path

Thai Tropical Garden

Main Entrance Arrival Plaza

Main Entrance Arrival Plaza

Expo Plaza

Thanks for reading any questions feel free to ask...or visit http://www.royalfloraexpo.com

kohchang
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Sep 2011, 2:43 am

Very long, long time but this is good information for everyone going to Thailand.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2011, 2:54 am

So long, it makes me wonder how you found this thread, kohchang!

I've never been to Thailand.