Is it easier for a aspie male to date in college?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

BigDoubleK
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Aug 2010, 8:32 pm

Okay I'm a 17 year old aspie male who I'm going to be a senior this year. I have never had a girlfriend and I've not had my first kiss yet and I'm a virgin. So I can't get into a regular college so I have to go to communtity college/technical college for my first year or two because of my bad high school gpa because of my bad freshmen and sophomore year grades. Then after I get my gpa up in community college I plan on transferring to a college. Anyways will it be easier for me a aspie male to date girls and meet girls and find a relationship in college than in high school?

Quartz11
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 8:55 pm

Certainly is more availability. But if you have the social skills to actually get a girl, it does increase your odds. If you don't handle conversations with females well, college won't help you much.

hutchscott
Toucan
Toucan

23 Aug 2010, 9:10 pm

It depends on if you are emancipated from your parents. College dorms are a hotbed for romantic and sexual activity.

foreveryoung
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2010, 9:15 pm

Community college, speaking from direct experience, won't land you any woman, especially if you're shy.

Living on campus, I hear even shy guys get laid.

I just don't get why there are so many teenagers on this site who say "I've never even kissed a girl or had sex." That's normal. It only becomes a problem when you're in your mid 20s and women assume you've had a lot of sex before.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 9:17 pm

agreed

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 9:33 pm

hutchscott wrote:
It depends on if you are emancipated from your parents. College dorms are a hotbed for romantic and sexual activity.

i like that expression: emancipated!! !! true, true.

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 9:45 pm

hutchscott wrote:

Also depends on the school. I go to a commuter school and I live with my parents unfortunately.

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2010, 10:30 pm

Actually, one of the things that struck me as unusual about myself and led to me discovering AS was that I went to an art college with an 80+% female population for four years and never even went on a date. I think it's all a matter of finding whatever pro-active method works wherever you happen to be, not the other way around.

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 11:07 pm

At a community college that can be tough. It can be done but most people are not there to socialize. Living on campus makes it easier but it depends entirely upon what university you go to.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 11:46 pm

College is much easier than high school for many reasons. Other college students are less cliquey than high schoolers, because they are all there because they want to be and they are more willing to date different types. Also, you are more likely to find someone who is like-minded due to the larger and more diverse student body.

I dated no one in high school, but college was like a goldmine.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 12:57 am

Just don't go to a college that's 80% guys like I did...

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 2:03 am

BigDoubleK wrote:
Okay I'm a 17 year old aspie male who I'm going to be a senior this year. I have never had a girlfriend and I've not had my first kiss yet and I'm a virgin. So I can't get into a regular college so I have to go to communtity college/technical college for my first year or two because of my bad high school gpa because of my bad freshmen and sophomore year grades. Then after I get my gpa up in community college I plan on transferring to a college. Anyways will it be easier for me a aspie male to date girls and meet girls and find a relationship in college than in high school?

At a university, probably. There are more opportunities to socialize and people are generally more sure of what they want in life. Don't be afraid to participate. And by the way, it's not unusual for a 17 year old to never have had a girlfriend or be a virgin.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 3:15 am

I don't know about community colleges. In university I'd suppose it's easier, but university was even less eventful for me in that department than high school was. It may help if you live on campus or in dorms, if you participate regularly in at least a couple of different societies, and if at least some of your courses are not male-dominated (examples of male-dominated subjects: hard sciences apart from biology, mathematics, computer science, engineering).

Rodland
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Aug 2010, 3:41 am

i'm post graduate student at university. there are women everywhere but no much opportunities to talk with them.

i failed to get interested in activities of any of those numerous student organization during my undergraduate years. i maybe should have fought harder to spend more time socially. and to try to maintain connections with other people somehow. they just wondered why i don't hang around with them and during that time i was also myself unaware of my neurological abnormalities which make me feel alienated from others.

needless to mention most of student parties are boring or just about getting drunk (i probably should drink myself but i don't like that idea).

but sure there are possibilities. if one can't do anything else, one should just try to talk with other students from the same courses you attend and try to hang out with them. it's always possible to find somebody who likes you.

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 4:12 am

CMaximus wrote:
Actually, one of the things that struck me as unusual about myself and led to me discovering AS was that I went to an art college with an 80+% female population for four years and never even went on a date. I think it's all a matter of finding whatever pro-active method works wherever you happen to be, not the other way around.

Fantastic advice! :)