Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 7:42 pm

My brother told me I wasn't a real gamer because I don't do things perfectly on games and win all the time. I was playing prince of persia:the forgotten sands on my ps3 today and he said "The girls at my school could do that perfect and they're only 12 but you can't!" It's almost as if he likes to make me withdraw from my hobby. So does winning all the time and doing things absolutley perfect on games=real gamer and does failing ocassionally mean your'e not a gamer? hmmm....I hate my neurotypical sibling :x

Ravenitrius
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 8:07 pm

No. Play the game HOW you WANT. That's what makes you a gamer. Most gamers are completionists. Some just want have fun while playing the game. Don't let your brother tell you how to play the video game. Btw winning isn't fun most of the time. Losing is fun :P. Failing means Keep trying until you succeed at it. It's mostly training :p

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 10:32 pm

People who put the words "real" or "true" in front of terms like gamer or fan are generally douchebags and not to be taken seriously.

If you enjoy gaming, you are a gamer. Enjoy your game, gamer.

PS

Your brother sounds like a real douche. :P

nikki191
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Aug 2010, 11:00 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
People who put the words "real" or "true" in front of terms like gamer or fan are generally douchebags and not to be taken seriously.

PS

i totally agree with you there

Spyral
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Aug 2010, 11:14 pm

GoonSquad wrote:

PS

:salut:

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 10:07 pm

Eh, a person who plays a game perfectly is either cheating, or playing on easy mode (granted, some games on easy are still a pita). However, it can truly be said that you've never truly won a game if you haven't lost a few times . . . have to figure how and how not to apply the game's rules. A real/true gamer is merely someone who spends a good deal of free time playing games, regardless of how, and mainly due to love of the concepts/genres. Personally, I'd hand him the game and say, "Prove it." Then keep tally of how many times he dies/doesn't do something "perfectly." Keep an eye on him though, he seems to be a developing troll. Course, if he gets on your nerves, you could always tell him to go back and rot under his bridge :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: (granted, that may be a bit too harsh, but you get the idea . . . I hope).

Fintan29
Toucan
Toucan

29 Aug 2010, 10:15 pm

Ignore the elitism. Of course no one can do perfect.

Free-Hinter-System
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Aug 2010, 8:02 pm

Heheh... I'm not a gamer, I'm a video game addict. A gamer is somebody who plays 9-10 hours a week. I play at least 25 on a good week. I am also not a gamer because I only play one game for months at a time. A gamer gets tired of one game and moves on to another quickly.

My point; "gamer" is a stupid word.

Dalton_Man321
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Aug 2010, 1:21 am

Being a dancing game player (Dance Dance Revolution, Pump It Up) that sort of thing is always a big issue among the "higher ups" (really just a bunch of egotistical nerds). I play them for fun, don't care if I fail or not (I play on hard mode for Pump It Up), and do my thing.

The idea of a video game is for entertainment, not competitiveness. What's so fun about playing a game in fear of losing?

I don't know if your brother is older or younger but it sounds like he's in middle school. Kids puffing themselves out to appear tough or elite are common at that age and it reaches its peak at high school. Let him say what he wants, he's wasting his energy obsessing on how bad of a gamer he thinks you are. Tell him you don't give a s**t.