Detention, a punishment? You have to be joking!

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Albinoboy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Sep 2010, 9:32 am

Detentions is probably the most ineffective way to punish Autistic people.

Honestly if I get a detention, I'll just be like "meh".
Well, two years ago it used to upset me, that was when my friends didn't want to ruin my life.

Now I'm just like, detention? ooo peace and quiet!
Let's look at the benefits of detentions:
# Quiet
# Isolation
# Inside and out of the rain (Welcome to the typical English weather)

And most of the time I'm allowed to use my laptop as well, bonus!

Now the downsides:
# Everyone around you probably wants to make your life hell
# Idiots throwing things (at me)
# Not being able to eat lunch!

Oh sure, they are supposed to let us out to get lunch, but of course, I'm slower than "normal" people. Although score a full lunchtime detention and you get to eat lunch in detention.

Not that detentions are supposed to be good, but you get my point at the uselessness of it being a punishment as well.

Now don't you teachers get any ideas, we have higher IQs than you! :P

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 9:48 am

I had detentions where I just sat in an empty classroom completely quiet before. Can't say I complained too much.

Raikozu
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Sep 2010, 10:23 pm

I don't really care about it except for one thing:

My beautiful image(or reputation) is now ruined!

I'm known as eccentric,weird,someone who doesn't studies,but smart and good in lots of thing without efforts...

Whenever I have one,I feel like...

I'm doomed,failure has fallen over me.

Albinoboy

01 Sep 2010, 10:40 pm

Reputation? Can't say I ever paid any attention to my reputation.
Reputation to me is this mystical thing neurotypicals use to judge social status.

Which in my case I don't even have to talk to get labeled "weird" (white hair, violet eyes, etc) but when I do speak, it just sinks the boat (uh, I just watched the Titanic, how funny...) further because of, well, you know the standard Aspergers characteristics.

No need for me to talk about stuff you already know!

Stellar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2010, 12:25 am

Haha I used to love detention in grade school :mrgreen:

Kenani

03 Sep 2010, 11:16 am

In my school detention is after school. You have to fill out a really annoying sheet of paper about how you learned from your mistake, you can't read, use a computer, or even do homework, and you're surrounded by delinquents. There's also just the concept of being punished that I don't like.

UrchinStar47
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Sep 2010, 3:25 pm

We don't have detention in our country. It always looked meaningless to me.

JettRecords
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Sep 2010, 7:07 pm

I've always been quite a fan of detention. I went to a small school, and in middle school, sometimes there was only one person at a time. I got detention a lot for having missing homework (my science teacher's rule). The woman who was unfortunately assigned to do detention liked me, and let me sleep on the couch/read/make sarcastic comments.

In high school I got only a few detentions which flew by as I was absorbed in middle earth :D

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 2:04 am

I've always hated detention, for the simple fact of the matter that it inconvenienced me greatly. Getting detention meant I couldn't take the bus home and had to have my parents come and get me. It also meant I'd miss a TV show or two that I liked.

I think I only really got detention a few times, one of which was for not completing a particular bit of homework.

LostInBed
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 6:40 pm

{ersoanlly for me detention was sory of a pain. Me and sitting still in complete silence are like oil and water because I'm hypersenstive to sound so the wall clock would drive me up the wall. And I don't know why but sitting still, for some odd inexplicable reason, stimulates me. It's almost like the walls are closing in or more accurately speaking, the bodies of those in detention with me. So glad I'm not in school any more.

Albinoboy

15 Sep 2010, 11:38 am

LostInBed wrote:
I'm hypersenstive to sound so the wall clock would drive me up the wall.

I have the same problem with clocks, but thankfully all the classrooms are next to playgrounds, or don't have clocks
The few classrooms that are loud enough to hear the ticking, I can usually find an excuse to wear headphones.

"Miss, Can I use my headphones? I need to listen to this audio book" (I downloaded the Boagsworld podcasts for cases like this, as soon as they hear confusing things like W3C, HTML, CSS etc, they won't question)

Although the bell is like a knife, and I have a fire practice tomorrow... This is going to be fun, as fun as getting zapped by ten thousand volts while being attacked by a velocorapter and drowning all at the same time.

Narwhal

16 Sep 2010, 9:01 pm

You people are lucky. They used to make us clean and grade papers, if the teacher was in a good mood, that is.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 11:24 pm

At my school, if you were chronically late they gave you morning detention. You had to come in an hour early and do it. I HATED it. First of all, it made no sense to me because there had to be a reason you were always late and making you show up earlier would do fuckall to fix it (for me, it was delayed sleep phase disorder). Second of all, someone had to get you to school so it really annoyed the parents.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 7:31 am

Narwhal wrote:
You people are lucky. They used to make us clean and grade papers, if the teacher was in a good mood, that is.

Narwhals!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykwqXuMPsoc[/youtube]

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 6:27 pm

I never had them becuase it would violate my IEP. Having to stay behind after school or any drastic change in routine would have created a violent meltdown. I had a phobia of it. My personality was already starting to split when I was in public school and I think a detention would have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 6:43 pm

I mostly received Saturday school detention which means waking up early on a Saturday. I think that was the "punishment" aspect. Everyone else was able to get on the computers and whisper to eachother. What's the point?

After-school detention I managed to avoid by luck (if it was scheduled on a day school was out, they didn't make you do it.) It appears this consists of sitting in chairs in the office really close to everyone and not saying a word.

Detention is essentially deprivation from socializing, but not necessarily isolation.