Do you feel motivated to act as "normal" as possib

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Do you feel motivated to act as "normal" as possible?
No. 57%  57%  [ 52 ]
Yes. 43%  43%  [ 39 ]
Total votes : 91

IceCreamGirl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 9:11 am

I was just wondering. I didn't until recently. Sometimes I regret how I acted before I did.

Wraythen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Sep 2010, 9:53 am

I feel forced to act normal, I don't feel motivated by any stretch of the imagination, no.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 10:44 am

i act as i please.

Cate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Sep 2010, 10:49 am

Somehow that implies for me that I feel like it's a good thing. I feel like I have to act normal, (1) because I can, albeit with great effort, and (2) because I know that by not acting normal I am excluding myself from possibilities.

If I had a choice, I would not act normal. I wish I could just be who I am.

To me, I am normal. It's everyone else who's messed up. See http://isnt.autistics.org/
Hilarious to those who don't have to take themselves and everyone else so seriously.

I wish people could accept. I wish that people would listen to my words and not listen to stereotypes or preconceived notions that they have. But this is not the case.

My acceptance of this fact is crucial to my success in life. It would be futile to rebel against social norms at this point. My father always told me to take down the system from the inside. You have no power on the outside.

So motivated: no; compelled: definitely.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 11:11 am

Cate wrote:
If I had a choice, I would not act normal.

you do have a choice, and the choice is only yours. "normal" is in the eye of the beholder, but you have the choice of acting any way you want.

there is no law that states how you must be and act.
there are only laws that state how you must not act.

i do not wish to act in any way that the law says i cannot, and i am left with freedom to act in any way my impulses desire.

whether or not i attract peoples attention that will be advantageous to me, i am free to say what i want to any person on earth.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 11:50 am

I act the way I want to act. As far as "normal" or not, I don't think it matters.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 12:53 pm

b9 wrote:
i act as i please.

This.

I do not feel any pressure to blindly follow the sheep, I prefer to go my own direction and be myself. I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks of me either.

There's someone on here with a quote on their signature which sums it up really well, it goes something like, "I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not."

dryad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Sep 2010, 1:51 pm

I can't answer yes or no. It depends.

If I'm in a situation where I know appearing normal is imperative, such as a job interview, the answer is yes.

If I'm in a casual setting, the answer is no.

IceCreamGirl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 7:49 am

About a year ago, I didn't care what people thought of me, so I did things that I'm so embarrassed about today :oops: . Today, I couldn't act the way I did a year ago; I'd be too embarrassed.

TheInfamousArgyle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2010, 3:45 pm

I am not ashamed of who I am. Acting normal is acting instinctively, which is what everyone else does. I stay in my own little world, which has a population of exactly two.
I learned that I can stand out from the rest of the population without being labeled "weird" so after acquiring the necessary social skills, I am able to just do my own thing.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 3:50 pm

Yes, I have always been motivated to act normal, as best I can. I think it's a survival instinct.

Ailynn213
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Sep 2010, 4:57 pm

Sometimes I so badly want to be normal and I try even though it doesn't work. Other times I am proud of being different and I just be myself no matter how weird I may be.

Jookia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Sep 2010, 9:51 pm

Nah, I have better things to do then hide who I really am. Lies always turn in to bigger things.

SaxNerd
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Oct 2010, 4:02 am

I like to be myself. I don't think it's right for people to be people who they aren't, purely for the sake of following social norms, or 'blindly following the sheep' as someone else put it. So to answer the overall question, no, I don't feel motivated to act normal. This may be a bit egotistical, but I think it's everyone else that's crazy, not me.

nintendogurl1990
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Oct 2010, 7:30 am

Sometimes I try to act normal by trying not to flap my hands in public. Also, I try not to have a meltdown in public so people won't call me "spoiled".

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 6:02 pm

Yes. I don't like this about me, but I don't know how to be myself.