Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2006, 9:33 pm

I was on my way home from Value Village, today and I saw a Mainstream boy who was about 14 years old, riding his bike. He asked me in a ignorant way, why I dress the way I do. He's also made a comment on my clothes, last Weekend. I've told him that it was because I'm a Cockney, just to get him off my Back. I was wearing very comfortable clothes, a Cap, a blue Jacket and my Studded Belt with my prized Routemaster Lapel Pin affixed to it. In more ways than not, I am more of a Cockney than a Canadian, though I was born in Canada, so I've bassically told him a Half-Truth about my Character.

I should have asked the Loser, "Is there a Magic Way that you would like me to dress?" but the question has entered my Mind, after the fact.

Did I do the right thing, or would it have been better for me to have ignored him? I really hate being the type of person who doesn't say or do anything. God gave me a Voice, so I use it.

There are two alternate routes that I can go, to get to my Club House, so that I wouldn't feel compelled to walk through that sleezy Neighbourhood in order to get to my Destination, just to have to deal with that Clown.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2006, 12:38 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I was on my way home from Value Village, today and I saw a Mainstream boy who was about 14 years old, riding his bike. He asked me in a ignorant way, why I dress the way I do. He's also made a comment on my clothes, last Weekend. I've told him that it was because I'm a Cockney, just to get him off my Back. I was wearing very comfortable clothes, a Cap, a blue Jacket and my Studded Belt with my prized Routemaster Lapel Pin affixed to it. In more ways than not, I am more of a Cockney than a Canadian, though I was born in Canada, so I've bassically told him a Half-Truth about my Character.

I should have asked the Loser, "Is there a Magic Way that you would like me to dress?" but the question has entered my Mind, after the fact.

Did I do the right thing, or would it have been better for me to have ignored him? I really hate being the type of person who doesn't say or do anything. God gave me a Voice, so I use it.

There are two alternate routes that I can go, to get to my Club House, so that I wouldn't feel compelled to walk through that sleezy Neighbourhood in order to get to my Destination, just to have to deal with that Clown.

I'd probably ignore him, or at most laugh. What's the point of dignifying someone with a response in a situation like that, validating their criticism?

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2006, 1:46 am

I sometimes get weird questions, but not only from teenagers.

I get them from Adults, too. One woman goes to me, "you're weird, why do you never say anything?" I don't know what the hell she was on about I talk way more than her.

I find people would rather talk behind my back though.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2006, 2:30 am

hale_bopp wrote:
I get them from Adults, too. One woman goes to me, "you're weird, why do you never say anything?" I don't know what the hell she was on about I talk way more than her.

I find people would rather talk behind my back though.

In that case, your response should be

"Why do I need to? Being that you're always talking behind my back it hardly seems I'm necessary for the conversation?"

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2006, 5:04 am

Ann Landers had a great response to such questions...

""forgive me for not answering, and I'll forgive you for asking."

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2006, 7:33 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I was on my way home from Value Village, today and I saw a Mainstream boy who was about 14 years old, riding his bike. He asked me in a ignorant way, why I dress the way I do. He's also made a comment on my clothes, last Weekend.

Next time someone does this to you, give them a stare which gives them the distinct impression you're looking at a walking, talking pile of poo. I promise you it'll work. :P

Lygophile
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 May 2006, 10:06 pm

I generally feel that stupid questions deserve stupid answers.

"Why do you dress that way?"

"Because I'm better than you!"

or

"I was just released from prison after serving 30 years for murdering some snot-nosed kid who asked stupid questions and these were the clothes I was wearing when I was taken in."

Of course this technique could backfire and you could end up with a whole gang of kids asking you stupid questions just to see what stupid responses you can come up with. On second thought, maybe ignoring him would be better.

kc0eks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2006, 10:18 pm

I hate being bothered about how I dress, and the like. I generally just give them some lame reason to make them shutup and go on my way.
I dont see how people even notice, let alone care, how I look. I sure dont care what they look like.

I dress for comfort, leave me be! :)

jaguars_fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 May 2006, 11:53 pm

kc0eks wrote:
I hate being bothered about how I dress, and the like. I generally just give them some lame reason to make them shutup and go on my way.
I dont see how people even notice, let alone care, how I look. I sure dont care what they look like.

I dress for comfort, leave me be! :)

I just tell them And who made you the fashion police?

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2006, 11:55 pm

Bah. If we're looking for Snappy come backs, this one is going to be hard to top.

"Actually you're right. These clothes do suck. Hold still. I'm going to wear your skin instead."

jaguars_fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jun 2006, 12:07 am

Xuincherguixe wrote:
Bah. If we're looking for Snappy come backs, this one is going to be hard to top.

"Actually you're right. These clothes do suck. Hold still. I'm going to wear your skin instead."

If that's the best comeback you could think of you better get back to the drawing board. It doesn't make sense and might even be seen as a racist.

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2006, 2:07 am

I guess, to the bike kid, I'd answer

"because I like these clothes" with no further explanation about why I like them. Alternately I might ask "why do you care?".

I get asked loads of personal questions - often about my sex life. And I prefer not to answer them. So I just say I'm not answering that question, and if I get "why", I say "I don't want to answer that question, the answer is none of your business", at this point, kids will usually start making up answers, but they don't know if they're right or not. And I don't correct them when they make up wrong stuff because that would be answering their questions. I figure it's not my job to correct them and I don't have to answer questions from strangers if I don't feel comfortable about it.

There are some questions that it doesn't matter how you answer them (apart from "no comment"), you're doomed to more teasing.

jaguars_fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jun 2006, 2:21 am

wobbegong wrote:
I guess, to the bike kid, I'd answer

"because I like these clothes" with no further explanation about why I like them. Alternately I might ask "why do you care?".

I get asked loads of personal questions - often about my sex life. And I prefer not to answer them. So I just say I'm not answering that question, and if I get "why", I say "I don't want to answer that question, the answer is none of your business", at this point, kids will usually start making up answers, but they don't know if they're right or not. And I don't correct them when they make up wrong stuff because that would be answering their questions. I figure it's not my job to correct them and I don't have to answer questions from strangers if I don't feel comfortable about it.

There are some questions that it doesn't matter how you answer them (apart from "no comment"), you're doomed to more teasing.

Some people I tell ya just got no brains. What I really find amusing is those that do parade about about their sex life with their so called hot girlfriend when in reality their hot gfriend is a blow up doll.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2006, 2:46 am

Fuzzy wrote:
Ann Landers had a great response to such questions...

""forgive me for not answering, and I'll forgive you for asking."
That is a real good one to use in the end.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2006, 2:47 am

Does really matter what I wear look at what You wear too?

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2006, 5:17 am

Maybe you could have replied with something like:

"Well, you know? I could have dressed up with a shirt with a lot of flower pictures on it. Maybe stick a pinned little flower in my hair. The more flowers, the better. Then, you could make my day, and call me a hippie!"

Or something like:

"Gee? Worried about the way I dress? So, how do you suppose I should dress? By the colors of the sky?"

Or something like:

"Well, I could have put on my nice pair of ripped, stinky jeans. But my spouse wants me to dress like this. If you have a problem, I'll give you his phone number. So, what do you say? Want to complain?" If he says yes, then give him the phone number to a very expensive 900 number.

There's all sorts of things that come to mind. Just have some fun.

You know, though, I've never really been asked these sorts of questions by random passers by, as some people on this site have talked about. I guess I don't stand out. I sort of dress in normal fashion, for the most part. Even with other things, though, I hardly ever get people walking up to me and asking these sorts of things. Usually, I don't even look at people, and maybe that's why.

- Ray M -