Has anyone considered an aspie think tank?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Omnicognic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 8:34 am

I have a friend who I'm sure has AS too. He can get annoying (and I'm sure I get on his nerves too.) however, we both share an obsession with tinkering and invention.. when we put our heads together we have done some amazing things.. for example, his car is currently running on aluminum produced hydrogen... (if you want info on this shoot me a message)

I was thinking: imagine a room full of aspies with complimentary obsessions, I.e. mathmatics, physics, computers. If they were to work on different aspects of the same project, the results could be incredible!

The only problem I could see would be disputes where each party is convinced their way is the only way and any other method is flawed. (I'm guilty of this sometimes)

Just a thought....

blahbla
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Oct 2010, 8:48 am

Hmm...

Would anybody be interested in organizing a group with the intent of creating an army of robots so we can take over the world?

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 8:54 am

They would have to hire a few NTs to interface with the majority. :lol:

Julian94
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Oct 2010, 9:32 am

blahbla wrote:
Hmm...

Would anybody be interested in organizing a group with the intent of creating an army of robots so we can take over the world?

Is there anybody who is not interested in that?

daspie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 9:50 am

Omnicognic wrote:
I was thinking: imagine a room full of aspies with complimentary obsessions, I.e. mathmatics, physics, computers. If they were to work on different aspects of the same project, the results could be incredible!

The only problem I could see would be disputes where each party is convinced their way is the only way and any other method is flawed. (I'm guilty of this sometimes)

Just a thought....

Making of the atom bomb, the manhatten project in my opinion was like that. There were many people with asperger's there. Einstein, feynman and teller atleast. I believe that feynman had asperger's although there is one link I get on this speculation when googled for the same.
http://www.caseint.com/john/asperger_syndrome.htm

Last edited by daspie on 22 Oct 2010, 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 11:15 am

It's interesting you bring this up. I had this idea for a book where autistics could choose to become part of a Hive-mind program. Sadly, every time i think on it, the more it becomes just like Isaac Asimov's "The Caves of Steel." >< Who knows, maybe I'll find a way around that.

huntedman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Oct 2010, 11:17 am

Omnicognic wrote:
I have a friend who I'm sure has AS too. He can get annoying (and I'm sure I get on his nerves too.) however, we both share an obsession with tinkering and invention.. when we put our heads together we have done some amazing things.. for example, his car is currently running on aluminum produced hydrogen... (if you want info on this shoot me a message)

Just a thought....

Are you using a modification of the chemical reaction they use for the aluminum air battery? Can you use similar reclamation tanks, using grid power to recover the raw aluminum?

Anyway, whenever I have thought of think tanks or design houses it has been somewhat like this. Not people with AS in particular, but you can see the excitement in someone that draws the line between interest and obsession, a think tank should be way over that line.

When i went to the head campus for the National Research Council of Canada it was kind of like that. One woman was an excited 4 year old when describing the new equipment she just built.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 11:38 am

LOL... excited four year old, speaking in ten-syllable words. That is SO like me when I get interested in something! I'm usually hand-flapping, too, on top of it. Apparently I can communicate pretty well about the things I'm interested in, though, despite the eccentricity of the method!

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Omnicognic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 12:33 pm

huntedman wrote:
Omnicognic wrote:

Just a thought....

Are you using a modification of the chemical reaction they use for the aluminum air battery? Can you use similar reclamation tanks, using grid power to recover the raw aluminum?

Anyway, whenever I have thought of think tanks or design houses it has been somewhat like this. Not people with AS in particular, but you can see the excitement in someone that draws the line between interest and obsession, a think tank should be way over that line.

When i went to the head campus for the National Research Council of Canada it was kind of like that. One woman was an excited 4 year old when describing the new equipment she just built.

It's nothing as exciting (or original) as that, basically, it's an aluminum drum with a wire feed arc welder and old typewriter parts to move the feed wire back and forth on the spinning drum, the whole being submerged in water. As the wire contacts the spinning drum and being powered by the arc welder transformer it creates an arc. The water being H20, the oxygen likes the aluminum better and forms aluminum oxide powder and releases the H2. The aluminum powder sinks to the bottom of the tank where there is a release valve actuated by a knob on the car's dash (fantastic for getting rid of tailgaters) the hydrogen goes through double flash arresters before entering a modified propane carburator. The whole system while it does work is not practical for several reasons:

1) hydrogen itself doesn't provide much power and the car is sluggish..
2) the result of burning hydrogen is water which rusts out the exhaust system in a hurry
3) the result of burning hydrogen is water which invariably ends up turning the engine oil to something resembling chocolate milk (it separates after the car sits for a bit, but it wears out the engine pretty fast.
4) the aluminum wire is getting expensive, but we built a maching that makes it from "aluminum" cans (the metal in beverage cans is actually an aluminum alloy of lots of metals including magnesium which still works well for this)
5) while the emissions of this are aluminum oxide which is almost totally harmless to people and the environment.and water. It takes MASSIVE amounts of electricity for companies to produce aluminum from ore in the first place. so it's not exactly green technology

in his case, we wear out one car and transfer the whole setup to the next clunker

we do have some projects we are working on which are original and very practical, but I discovered the old expression "Pride comes before a fall" to be too true and i have had too many ideas stolen by bragging about them..

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 12:34 pm

I'm sure that established think tanks are already full of our kind.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 12:36 pm

blahbla wrote:
Hmm...

It's Gonna Be The Future Soon, Jonathan Coulton.

Great song.

Omnicognic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 12:39 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
blahbla wrote:
Hmm...

Great song.

OMG!! I was listening to 'Skullcrusher Mountain' as read your post lol (and now RE: Your Brains)

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 12:42 pm

Omnicognic wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:
blahbla wrote:
Hmm...

Great song.

OMG!! I was listening to 'Skullcrusher Mountain' as read your post lol (and now RE: Your Brains)

YAY! Love his songs. Creepy Doll is excellent!

huntedman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Oct 2010, 2:19 pm

Callista wrote:
LOL... excited four year old, speaking in ten-syllable words.

:D Exactly, I love it when people are in this mode. I find it kind of contagious in a way, you never can see it exactly they way that they do. What they can describe and the reflection of your own obsessive nature though is great.

Omnicognic wrote:
5) while the emissions of this are aluminum oxide which is almost totally harmless to people and the environment.and water. It takes MASSIVE amounts of electricity for companies to produce aluminum from ore in the first place. so it's not exactly green technology

There are modifications that can cover problems 2&3, but they would probably cost more than the next clunker. From what I have seen 5 is an issue with most alternative cars, almost none are actually green over the whole life-cycle. The aluminum based electric vehicles skip the aluminum oxide and essentially produce the raw ore, you can get decent pickup, but its not that green.

now liquid natural gas is actually reasonably green, I have seen it used in some countries, but the North American market wants hype more than anything else.

Zedition
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2010, 2:22 pm

I know of two organizations off the top of my head who thrive on genius aspies.
McKinsey & Company.
SAS Institute.

There are others.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 2:23 pm

I'm in. I can make as much money as possible from whatever it is we make, and I'll do the IT :P