University problems: expression in writing

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

andantespianato
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Nov 2010, 7:36 pm

Firstly, im not diagnosed with anything, im only on a waiting list.
I started a degree in September and I have some big assignments to do, one of which is 3000 words. Im fine on the researching side of it, but its actually writing the essay thats proving to be a big problem... getting things into words and that. I cant just write out what I read but in my own words because im under the impression that still counts as plagiarism...plus getting it into my own words would be hard. I told my lecturer im on a waiting list for an educational assessment but this lecturer thinks im fine and probably just a perfectionist or something. Ive only got a few weeks left to do all these assigments and I havnt really gotten past the researching side, the written side is really difficult. My memory tends to be a bit strange too, I have a good memory for events I think, and I love every one of my modules on the course, but I think for me there must be something in the process of memorising things thats a bit odd because I find that difficult too. I really want to do well, It took so long for me to even have this opportunity and I really cant afford to repeat.

What should I do?

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 7:54 pm

It would be helpful for people here, or at least for me, to know what subjects you are studying for your degree.

As far as plagiarism is concerned, you are very wise to err on the side of caution. I think it would be useful for you to ask one of your tutors to spend some time with you explaining what is and is not considered plagiarism, and which referencing system is preferred. You will be expected to paraphrase or quote the work of some of the authors whose work you have been reading, but it is essential that you correctly reference their work and ideas.

Generally speaking, what you are trying to achieve in an academic essay is the bringing together of the ideas and research of others in such a way that you are able to show that you understand it and can relate it to your own learning and your own ideas and opinions.

Ask your tutor to give you a copy of the marking scheme. When I was studying for my last degree the department had a clear marking scheme which explained which marks were awarded for which level of competence and understanding. To achieve an A, you had to demonstrate not only that you had understood the course work, but that you were able to integrate successfully with your own ideas and theories.

You may also find that your university runs short courses or study sessions on essay writing for new students. If they do, then sign up for a session or ask if you can get a copy of the session notes.

floating
Raven
Raven

07 Nov 2010, 6:28 am

hi
I'm in a similar position. Just doing my first 2 subjects of uni, one of which is child development. that's how I got the idea that I might have ASD and am waiting to get assessed as well. did well with my first 3 assignments but now struggling majorly with this next essay which is actually due tomorrow night - ahhhhh. not sure if I'm going to make it, I'm so very very slow, but still trying, just having a break now before bed and then try again tomorrow. I got HDs for my first assignments so I think people think I am just perfectionist but it's not that, it's just that I have to follow all the guidelines just to be able to come up with anything at all.

I struggle with the writing part too. do all the reading etc but can't seem to get my ideas into words and struggled with worrying about plagiarism too.

my advice:
- since you find writing difficult, don't put it off, start asap.
- when you read, paraphrase the main points or the relevant points, that is, put it into your own words and then reference that
- then by the end of your reading/ researching you should have notes.
- whatever you write or think of after that to link these notes to the essay question should then be your own ideas.

hope this helps a little bit but I was glad you started this thread because I was thinking of asking the same sort of thing.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 8:29 am

andantespianato - Firstly, im not diagnosed with anything, im only on a waiting list.
I started a degree in September and I have some big assignments to do, one of which is 3000 words. Im fine on the researching side of it, but its actually writing the essay thats proving to be a big problem... getting things into words and that. I cant just write out what I read but in my own words because im under the impression that still counts as plagiarism...plus getting it into my own words would be hard. I told my lecturer im on a waiting list for an educational assessment but this lecturer thinks im fine and probably just a perfectionist or something. Ive only got a few weeks left to do all these assigments and I havnt really gotten past the researching side, the written side is really difficult. My memory tends to be a bit strange too, I have a good memory for events I think, and I love every one of my modules on the course, but I think for me there must be something in the process of memorising things thats a bit odd because I find that difficult too. I really want to do well, It took so long for me to even have this opportunity and I really cant afford to repeat. What should I do?
---
PBS has a program called Misunderstood Minds and it addresses the subject of Writing. (Source: Google).

Ravenchild
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Nov 2010, 8:47 am

Hi there,
Does your University have a Student Support Service for the academic side of things? (most do...) Often you can access this support without any labelling required at all, and they can give you help with getting the information down on paper whilst avoiding the plagiarism trap.
If you're not sure, you should be able to ask in the library, and they can point you in the right direction.
If you're also still waiting for an assessment, making contact with the support and disability services means that someone who can possibly advocate for you if necessary is aware of the situation.
Hope this helps...

robh

07 Nov 2010, 4:18 pm

I used to be bad at writing, but now I love it. There is no easy answer to this, you just have to write a lot. Slowly you will get better at it.

The majority of the problems I have had with writing have nothing to do with writing itself, but the tools used to do it. I cannot write by hand at all and I hate using Word Processors for anything longer than a page (layout constantly falls to bits). I write in a plain text editor(Vim) and use a markup language for formatting(HTML(for the web) and LaTeX(for print)). Mark-up languages are grate because they do all the formatting work for you.

Anyway, the main point I am making is don't be afraid to think outside the box.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 4:25 pm

andantespianato wrote:
Firstly, im not diagnosed with anything, im only on a waiting list.
I started a degree in September and I have some big assignments to do, one of which is 3000 words. Im fine on the researching side of it, but its actually writing the essay thats proving to be a big problem... getting things into words and that. I cant just write out what I read but in my own words because im under the impression that still counts as plagiarism...plus getting it into my own words would be hard. I told my lecturer im on a waiting list for an educational assessment but this lecturer thinks im fine and probably just a perfectionist or something. Ive only got a few weeks left to do all these assigments and I havnt really gotten past the researching side, the written side is really difficult. My memory tends to be a bit strange too, I have a good memory for events I think, and I love every one of my modules on the course, but I think for me there must be something in the process of memorising things thats a bit odd because I find that difficult too. I really want to do well, It took so long for me to even have this opportunity and I really cant afford to repeat.

What should I do?

When I was in college, I was totally insecure about term papers, so I got to the point where I just wrote them and turned them in, thinking whatever will be will be. I just dealt with my anxiety by doing them as quickly as possible. Most of mine got decent grades, so it was a lot of anxiety over nothing. I did have one class where I only got Bs and Cs. I rationalized the teacher didn't like me much. He lowered my grade because I was absent a few times but I didn't want to ride a bike from my dorm room to the seven a m class in the middle of winter. It was the coldest part of the morning. I was late a few times, too. I would have been better off just going to his office and talking to him. I was too scared to do that. I just wanted to stay quiet and turn in my work. In that class, you got a better grade if you got to know the teacher. Maybe you could try this...getting to know the teacher better? I would have been better off if I could have motivated myself to do that.