Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

robh
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Nov 2010, 5:52 pm

Do you collect things and if yes, why? Is it related to your special interest?

Personally, no, I'm a minimalist.

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 6:20 pm

YES!! !! !! !! !! And it drives me insane! I couldn't possibly begin to list it all, but suffice it to say that I've got basements and storage spaces and garages FULL of crazy stuff that I've collected in connection with my "special interests" over years and years. Literally, from rosary beads to shotguns and everything in between!! !! !

Minimalist? I don't know how you do it...

And it was all for the want of a nail.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 6:25 pm

Yes, I collect guns. :D

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 6:50 pm

John_Browning wrote:
Yes, I collect guns. :D

You're supposed to tell him why. Oh, never mind, I'll do it: there's no freakin' way the government is going to herd me into a FEMA detention center without hearing from my .308 first.

John_Browning: I started collecting Superposed shotguns last spring. Got expensive REAL FAST!

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 7:16 pm

Mostly enemies. :lol:

I collect a lot of horror magazines and roleplaying games.

Ryanlinfield
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Nov 2010, 7:20 pm

i collect match worn football shirts. Most of mine are international team shirts due to swapping my shirt with other's after a game. Off the top of my head I have:

Argentina
Austria
Belgium
Brazil
Barbados
Cyprus
Canada
England
Wales
Scotland
Spain
Republic of Ireland
Italy
France
China
Japan
Germany
Northern Ireland (my own one :lol:)
loads more but my personal favourite is the Manchester United one I got from Paul Scholes after swapping shirts with him after a friendly while playing for Linfield. Great guy, and the best player I have ever played against.

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 7:27 pm

I collect video games! I also used to collect rubber bracelets, but not that much anymore ever since the fad died down. Once in a while I will find one which I will then pick up and add to my collection.

Spyral
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Nov 2010, 7:56 pm

I collect Snow globes, especially ones that are also movie memorabilia. I love movies, was a Film Studies major, and, I don't know why I like Snow globes but I have since I was a kid.

I also collect Slinkys. Plastic ones that glow in the dark are my favorite, followed by ones in weird shapes (like stars).

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 7:57 pm

I collect die cast Routemasters and British Invasion type rock music in the form of LPs and CDs.

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 8:08 pm

Spyral wrote:
I collect Snow globes, especially ones that are also movie memorabilia. I love movies, was a Film Studies major, and, I don't know why I like Snow globes but I have since I was a kid.

Have you flown recently? I flew out of JFK Airport last month and there was a big sign in the security line that said passengers are no longer allowed to fly with snow globes. I thought to myself, "who would fly with a snow globe?" I guess I just found out :mrgreen: I'm not maing fun of you BTW. I think they're pretty cool, too. Oh, no! Not another new hobby! (I really shouldn't read these threads. Too many good ideas...)

Spyral wrote:
I also collect Slinkys. Plastic ones that glow in the dark are my favorite, followed by ones in weird shapes (like stars).

As far as I know, the TSA still lets you fly with Slinkys. Probably especially plastic ones. So you should be safe!! !

Spyral
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Nov 2010, 8:18 pm

RainingRoses wrote:
Spyral wrote:

Have you flown recently? I flew out of JFK Airport last month and there was a big sign in the security line that said passengers are no longer allowed to fly with snow globes. I thought to myself, "who would fly with a snow globe?" I guess I just found out :mrgreen: I'm not maing fun of you BTW. I think they're pretty cool, too. Oh, no! Not another new hobby! (I really shouldn't read these threads. Too many good ideas...)

I guess if I get one as a souvenir, I'll have to check it. Oh well...good to know. I did get one in San Fransisco that is a "rain globe" with a replica of the Golden Gate bridge and a trolley car. The rain is made out of that stuff they make into glitter and when you shake it, it looks like it's raining.
(When I first read that, I thought--did I make it sound like I travel with this collection? That would be silly--my Snow globes are on a nice high shelf where the cats cannot get at them. Well, the glass ones, anyway.)

These are my 2 favorite ones so far:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 8:30 pm

Not right now. Have to save money and expecting big credit card bills and I can't have my apartment get filled up with stuff.

In the past I have collected Spokane Expo stuff, some Benny & Joon photos and the posters, Lite Brite refill packs, old Nintendo Power Magazines.

But sadly to make room, I had to get rid of lot of my Spokane stuff, I sent them back to Montana to store them.

I also had lot of key chains but left all of them behind and haven't collected anymore. I also have tons of video games. I used to buy them all the time and now I don't much anymore since I don't play as much. I just use gamefly.

Omnicognic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 8:41 pm

I used to collect all manner of things including guns.. my room used to look like a pawnshop collided with a natural history museum which combined then slid into a mad scientists lab.. (or frankenstein movie set)... but after I got married... her coca-cola collection moved my junk to the shed, workshop or trash depending on severity of odor..

Still love my guns.. and other odd weaponry.. ATF, FBI and the NSA will be in for a surprise if they decide to come for a visit by force!

Jaz1787
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Nov 2010, 8:48 pm

i have a box of stamps somewhere, but i dont collect them anymore. same as playing cards when i was a kid. cant throw them out though

i still collect rocks :D

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 8:51 pm

Spyral wrote:
(When I first read that, I thought--did I make it sound like I travel with this collection? That would be silly--my Snow globes are on a nice high shelf where the cats cannot get at them. Well, the glass ones, anyway.)

No, I didn't think you traveled with them :D Just a little free association. I thought to myself, "now where was it that I just read about snow globes -- oh, yeah, the airport."

Cats -- they're making me crazy. There is NO shelf, high, low, or in between that they don't seem to be able to get to. I think they stand on each other's little cat shoulders like acrobats to reach places I never dreamed they could get to.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 9:14 pm

Yes. I collect books. I have what amounts to a library at home.

ruveyn