Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

u
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Nov 2010, 9:41 pm

I just want to know if it's normal.

I can't stand having company over. Although I feel best when I'm home alone, I can tolerate being around my family. I can't stand it, however, when, for example, my sister brings her friends over. It's not just because they're annoying--even though they are, they tend to stay out of sight--but also because I feel like I'm limited in where I can go and what I can do in my own house. Home is the closest thing I have to a retreat from the outside world, and when people I don't know well or like come to my house, I feel like I'm back at school, with all these social norms to abide by and stuff like that.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 10:34 pm

You're not alone. I feel the exact same way. I enjoy having my parents and brother at home because I live with them, but if anybody else comes over, I hide from them because I don't want to feel tense and have to put my guard up in my own home. There are also a couple of people whom I hate to see come over because I know they have ulterior motives, such as trying to swindle my parents out of their time or money.

Sometimes I get so annoyed that I think I would love to move to a different city or state just to get away from these people.

trissy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Nov 2010, 10:42 pm

I'm like this too. Unfortunately I feel the same way about my roommate and family. When they're home I get nervous about where I can/can't go, whether I'm going to get in their way, whether they are going to get in my way...etc. So I hide out in my room. People make me so nervous. I look forward to the day when I can finally live alone. When I lived with my family, I almost never left my room.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 11:14 pm

I cannot stand it when my family brings home people I don't know. My mother had a friend of her's pull into the drive way unexpected without notice. She had to use the bathroom because it was an "emergancy" I would not let her in. I told her there was a Tim Horton's around the corner and a pizza shop down the street. My mother lied to her at work telling her that our female dog pees on the carpet when new people come into the house. :lol:

Wraythen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Nov 2010, 11:19 pm

Depends on the company, really.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 11:43 pm

I often get sleepy when people visit, even if they're people I like. I will interact with them for a while, and then I tend to become very tired and fall asleep. Others think it may be rude or that I'm dodging people, but this is how things happen.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

Kaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Nov 2010, 11:47 pm

Having company at home always stresses me out, even if I really enjoy the company.

157/200 Aspie -- 41/200 NT

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 11:59 pm

I don't mind when my parents are home (i live with them, lol).But i hate it when people come to visit (even people i like(not many)), i usually stay in my room while they are here (then get fused out for "not being sociable"), the main reason i stay in my room because if i leave i feel like people are going to talk at me (talk at = people talking when i ether don't wont to listen or talk (usually when i am trying to do something else or go some where else)), or just look in my general direction (can't stand it for some reason).

Wow i did not intend for this to get that long, lol.

leeloodallas
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Nov 2010, 1:14 am

I feel exactly the same way. How ironic; I thought I was the only one. When my mom or brother would have guests I would get what I need from outside and stay in my room until they left. It feels uncomfortable for me being home with "outsiders" there too. When my roommates are out in the apt, I stay in my room, and vice versa (though I do come out for the occasional "hi, still alive in there!"). I like them too, but I can't help needing to be alone there with the door shut.

It's easier though when the company we have is family or someone I've known for a while.

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 1:46 am

I don't like having company over. It feels like they're intruding into my personal space. When my parents or sister have people over, I usually hide out in my room for most of the visit. The worst is when people stay overnight, like when relatives visit or my sister has a sleepover. My home should be a haven where I can be myself without being judged, and feel safe and comfortable. When people are over I don't have that. I don't like having people in my dorm, either, but fortunately I have control over that.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 9:05 am

Yes, for the reasons listed in the OP and because my territorial instincts kick in.
At best, if it's someone I really trust, I'm watching them nervously to make sure they don't touch my stuff. At worst, I'm fighting urges to club them over the head and drag them out of my "cave".

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 1:14 pm

i just thought of another thing i dislike when people come to visit. when the move stuff, like when they will take something (nicknack/picture/move/book) off a shelf and then put it back somewhere other then where it was (a few inches to ether side or somewhere else entirely).

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 1:20 pm

u wrote:
I just want to know if it's normal.

I can't stand having company over. Although I feel best when I'm home alone, I can tolerate being around my family. I can't stand it, however, when, for example, my sister brings her friends over. It's not just because they're annoying--even though they are, they tend to stay out of sight--but also because I feel like I'm limited in where I can go and what I can do in my own house. Home is the closest thing I have to a retreat from the outside world, and when people I don't know well or like come to my house, I feel like I'm back at school, with all these social norms to abide by and stuff like that.

I feel exactly the same.

Squirrelrat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2010, 4:07 pm

Spending holidays with extended family members and friends ruins them. My uncle and my sister's annoying friends are over for Thanksgiving right now and all I want to do is get out of the house and come back when they've all left. I feel like they're somehow sucking the energy right out of my body.