Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 8:46 pm

At my college my lecutrer has put me with these stupid and tacky people who i do not want to invest my time into. I want to give them the lions share of the work but there reluctant to do all the work for me? I mean they should feel grateful that I am actually in their damn group. Why is it always me a guy from a rich upper class family who always gets put with these annoying inconveniant people?

Any advice because this is really hacking me off the fact that i have to associate with these lower class people who are not worthy of even a passing interest from me.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 9:06 pm

This is funny, in that just today my daughter called complaining about having to do a group project with two other girls. One is great and has done her work, but the other girl did all of her work incorrectly, and expects my daughter to redo it FOR HER. Really annoying.

Unfortunately, my guess is that you're stuck with the situation.

My daughter was saying that the reason why her university is suddenly kind of "pushing" a lot of group projects is because graduates from this university are often sought after by employers -- the only complaint the employers have is that this particular university seems to graduate a lot of graduates who don't work well in groups -- they all think that they are ALWAYS RIGHT.

If you want a job, and you want to be employable, you have to learn to work in groups with people who are obnoxious, and sometimes, people who are beneath you. Yeah, it's a pain in the rear, but ultimately if you come out of a group project with a good grade, then YOU are employable. If you don't care about being employable, then don't work with these people. It's no skin off your nose, right?

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 9:14 pm

Yeah but come on I have to work with these commoners for 1 year. Why should I even if invenst my time in this damn college project?

I am seriously thinking about taking this out on my ridicolous lecturer who organized this :x

Shadowy-Chan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Dec 2010, 9:48 pm

I hated when I was in high school and I was placed into groups with people who weren't competent enough for the material presented. Although they did their fair share of the work, it wasn't up to my standards and I just so happened to re-do all the work they attempted. I'm sorry that you have to deal with them, but at least you'll be working for your own grade.

KnowRainSupreme
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Dec 2010, 11:19 pm

I was in a similar situation with people who ditched me with a project at the last second. Usually, the teacher will "catch" those who don't do their work. In my case, she actually asked who did it. I tried to cover for them, but.... it was kinda obvious they didn't do anything. Since it's a final project, try working with someone else in the class. Do like a study-buddy thing with someone who's doing their work, share ideas. If it's history you can give me a shout and I'll try and help ya out.

Think about it this way: The professor will know that these fools decided to slack off. If you turn in a B project yourself and put the extra effort into it, the dirt will be on them. In my situation, I got literally stood up by every member in my group. We were supposed to have a group paper ready for class, but I never heard back on what the final paper was. They hadn't done any work all semester and I sensed what was up, so I wrote my part of the paper but embellished on it. Of course, I got asked 10 minutes before class to present my piece. I got torn apart but only because I didn't do in-text examples. The teacher fixed the problem by reorganizing everyone into groups based on perceived interest. They made up something on the spot.

This is your chance to look good in front of everybody else.

If you really don't get along with the professor, drop the class and take it with someone else. I actually later dropped the class, I was dominating conversation or something. I really didn't like her teaching methods.

Don't directly confront your teacher, especially not blow up. Trust me, if it's viewed as confrontational it'll be big trouble. I'm guessing you don't have the greatest hold on your non-verbal communication skills, and it might show if you feel angry in ways you don't really comprehend. That is, if your problems are similar to mine.

If you do talk to your teacher, do it quietly, in her office. Kindly mention that you would appreciate transferring groups.

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 1:12 am

I never have done well placed in groups.Although I knew the information better than anyone else,depending on the subject,I was so uncomfortable in a group with people I did not know that I did not contribute much at all.I felt put on the spot,overwhelmed and even scared at times.I much prefer to work on my own.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 1:55 am

Ha ha Eat the rich :wink: . Just kidding I remember back in grade school around third grade I was teamed with this mouth breather our assignment was to recreate the solar system using ballons and paper machet. He sat around doing nothing while I did all the work. The teacher then had us flip a coin to see who got to keep the solar system and guess who won. I told her I did all the work while the dummy did nothing she tells me not everything in life is fair and walks away. When she left I destroyed the solar system by stomping on it. :twisted: Even at 8 years old I was a vindictive little jerk. :wink:

Last edited by Todesking on 02 Dec 2010, 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 7:28 am

Jamesy wrote:
At my college my lecutrer has put me with these stupid and tacky people who i do not want to invest my time into. I want to give them the lions share of the work but there reluctant to do all the work for me?

you can't expect them to do all the work for you

Quote:
I mean they should feel grateful that I am actually in their damn group.

why?

Quote:
Why is it always me a guy from a rich upper class family who always gets put with these annoying inconveniant people?

that's life pal

Quote:
Any advice because this is really hacking me off the fact that i have to associate with these lower class people who are not worthy of even a passing interest from me.

what the hell makes you so high and mighty mr. kanye west?

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 10:08 am

Some of us are not going to do well with any group project - I believe one of the main points of assiogning them, beyond the obvious one that in some formulations the instructor does not have to deal with individual grades, is our old friend socialization. At which I am not great.

However, unless you spend your life in solitary confinement, you will have to spend large chunks of your life working with / in groups. This MAY help you evolve some coping skills.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 11:48 am

batshit there just not even worthy of my presence or time since they are intellectually inferior to me.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 1:18 pm

Jamesy wrote:
batshit there just not even worthy of my presence or time since they are intellectually inferior to me.

Perhaps they think the same of you.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 1:20 pm

Never they have the memory spans of a goldfish. Honestly why do I always have to work with these incompitant stupid people.

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 3:00 pm

Jamesy wrote:

and you're an intellectual god *sarcasm*

you're expecting them to do all of the work for you while you do nothing

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 4:19 pm

I am expecting them to do it for me becasue i am too good and clever for the work. why should i waste my mental energy into doing work i am too academically good for?

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 3:13 pm

Jamesy wrote:
I am expecting them to do it for me becasue i am too good and clever for the work. why should i waste my mental energy into doing work i am too academically good for?

if you are smart, you need to prove it by doing the work and getting a good grade. if THEY are the ones not doing the work, then you would be right, but YOU refuse to do the work. YOU are part of a group. suck it up and do the damn work

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 3:47 am

Usually teachers/professors try to put an even mix of above average, average, and below average students when assigning groups. I have no idea why either, because the above average person always ends up doing all the work because they are the ones who care about the grades. Usually, average student will be happy with anything above average student is happy with, and from my observations in group projects, below average student is happy to be turning in a project at all. I find it works out better when group members are of similar ability levels. Then, each member is more likely to contribute more equally. I would ask to be assigned to a different group if you really feel that they won't contribute.