I was wondering if others did this.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 10:30 pm

I imagine bad stuff happening to me. Like seriously getting injured paralyzed etc. I don't know why I imagine this kind of stuff. Does anyone else do this?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 10:52 pm

Yes, I do it all the time. I imagine getting raped, kidnapped and/or murdered and ending up on Dateline. Sometimes I imagine what it would be like if I got attacked by a dog and lost one of my hands or a foot. Sometimes I also imagine what it would be like if I went deaf from listening to my music too loudly (my hearing is already worse than it used to be).

I can't allow myself to get too deeply involved in these fantasies though, because they can get pretty upsetting. I've come pretty close to tears a couple of times from getting too wrapped up in depressing fantasies.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 10:55 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
Yes, I do it all the time. I imagine getting raped, kidnapped and/or murdered and ending up on Dateline. Sometimes I imagine what it would be like if I got attacked by a dog and lost one of my hands or a foot. Sometimes I also imagine what it would be like if I went deaf from listening to my music too loudly (my hearing is already worse than it used to be).

I can't allow myself to get too deeply involved in these fantasies though, because they can get pretty upsetting. I've come pretty close to tears a couple of times from getting too wrapped up in depressing fantasies.

LOL! Ya I'm not crazy! :-) I don't get to tears but I remember medical documentaries and put myself in that situation usually with a loving friend OR Boyfriend holding my hand. NOT my family for obvious reasons! Oh and being clutzy me I imagine stepping on a sharp object or something. :-)

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 11:30 pm

That's perfectly natural.

lissy983
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2010, 11:52 pm

I do this... more so with driving. When i am crossing an intersection and turning with out a light i watch the on coming traffic and wonder what it would happen if my car just stopped I play the whole scenario out like a movie in my head and at the end of it I'm like... "that wouldn't be that bad" and shake my head till the thoughts disappear.

mrclean
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Dec 2010, 1:29 am

Yes, everyone does this. It is common, Edgar Allen Poe once wrote about it. It has something to do with the ID, part of the brain. (I read an article about it years ago, but remember very little about it now)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 2:05 am

I am ashamed to admit I have because for one I thought if it happened to me I'd get sympathies and people be nicer to me and like me. Or have people think how cool I am to survive.

I didn't know this was common. I guess that's why some people fake their own kidnapping or seizures or rape and other stuff, especially making up stories about what has happened to them and what they have gone through.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 3:17 pm

I'm mr unemotional no imagination - but I have heard the like from my wife, with the female deep emotion variety. No, you'e not crazy [are you even allowed to use the word in a psych program before earning your degree?!]. Just don't let it make you crazy.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 3:57 pm

Philologos wrote:
I'm mr unemotional no imagination - but I have heard the like from my wife, with the female deep emotion variety. No, you'e not crazy [are you even allowed to use the word in a psych program before earning your degree?!]. Just don't let it make you crazy.

LOL! I'm not sure. Honestly I think "Crazy" is overall a bad term and have always hated "Mental Illness" Why not Psychological issues? IMO that's what they are/should be called Psychological issues not "mental illness." It has such a bad stigma. I guess the C word is bad as a Psychology major huh?

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 8:57 pm

Yeah I do it, but the reason is OCD. Then I have to do things to neutralize the thought. :cry:

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

05 Dec 2010, 7:17 am

happymusic wrote:
Yeah I do it, but the reason is OCD. Then I have to do things to neutralize the thought. :cry:

me to...but I learned not to neutrilze the thought or it makes the OCD worse

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 8:13 am

jojobean wrote:
happymusic wrote:

Yeah, sometimes I'm able to fight it. Other times the OCD wins. i am working on it though.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 8:25 am

jojobean wrote:
happymusic wrote:

So, you just let the thought be, but not respond to it?

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 9:23 am

Moog wrote:
jojobean wrote:
happymusic wrote:

So, you just let the thought be, but not respond to it?

Yes, basically, but it's very difficult in that you're mind will often get caught up in the compulsion before you even realize it - as its default, like an under current. I think that's where the disorder comes into play. It's like a glitch in an algorithm. Everyone has those thoughts but something happens in the OCD mind that is outside the normal paradigm of response. It truly makes you feel mentally ill. The mind is fractured between rational and irrational, magical and logical thinking. It's not the normal, healthy mind.

But yes, letting it be is ultimately what you're trying to train yourself to do. I think that's why the only place I've ever found relief is in meditation.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 7:22 pm

I imagine myself having stuff stolen from my apartment.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 1:54 pm

I used to. If it is not severe it's probably normal. I still imagine the worst in some areas.