Do you have to work in silence?
Yes 39%  39%  [ 9 ]
No 61%  61%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 23

anarchybovine
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Dec 2010, 1:24 pm

I realized that I absolutely cannot work in silence. I was redoing a test and I was put in a silent place to take it. Within the first few minutes, I started panicking and I had to ask my teacher if I could listen to my iPod. Thankfully he allowed me to. The only tests where I don't listen to my iPod is for Phy Ed (Yes, we do have written tests in Phy Ed. They're very easy since we do the stuff everyday in class), French (Because languages come so easy to me and we have listening portions on our tests), and Band and Choir (They're mostly music theory and I encounter it every single day).

For work during class, while the instructor is not talking, or I'm not playing or singing, I listen to my iPod. If I'm doing group work in class, I don't listen to music.

In middle school, the only time we could listen to our own music is before or after school. Sometimes, the teachers would put on some music while we were doing classwork.

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 2:43 pm

i was confused by the poll...

are you asking if the rules at my place of study require me to work in silence,
or are you asking if i personally have to work in silence?

anarchybovine
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Dec 2010, 4:07 pm

@StevieC I was asking if you prefer to work in silence.

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 11:03 pm

no, i prefer to have Oasis blasting in my ears :)

samsa
Toucan
Toucan

25 Dec 2010, 6:16 am

Nope, usually listen to some classical music while I'm working.

alicedress
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Dec 2010, 8:41 am

Unfortunately we have to work without music at school. No electronic devices.

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 9:31 pm

well i'm at college, so its a different kettle of fish (if that's correct).

and i'm studying music, so it goes without saying.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 6:09 am

I can do either, but I prefer listening to music while I work. Luckily, I'm allowed to do so in college.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 8:40 am

Have to work in silence.
I don't see why we can't listen to iPods. I mean, I see why they would not be desirable for when the teachers are lecturing, but while working, they should be permitted.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 12:41 am

I do the majority of my study in a crowded resteraunt in college, and I do a large portion of my best work at 6AM after a night out. I woke up once with a beautiful algorithm for data extraction spread through a 2000 x 2000 array in excel, and I have no memory of writing it :lol:

I never listen to music when studying though, disorder chatter helps me study, but organised melodies divert my attention to hearing them

kissmyarrrtichoke
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jan 2011, 8:46 pm

I had my iPod taken off me in physics because apparently that was not allowed, even though I was the only one who had finished all the work, the rest of the class were chatting, moving around and/or fighting. However I was in the wrong for listening to music. Bad me.
I find now I can't work while listening to music, even if it doesn't have lyrics like Tubular Bells. I just can't cope with two streams of information so I work in silence even though I can hear my flatmates listening to music while working (well I presume they are). Guess I'm just weird.

ale
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jan 2011, 2:37 am

Last year, the general rule was that we couldn't listen to music, but the rule was actually the exception. We had 2 teachers who allowed almost everything, one with severe hearing impediment, and a couple no one paid attention to

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 2:45 am

It depends on what I'm doing. If it's a if it's intellectually intensive work I generally prefer to have quiet, so I can keep all my thoughts together, but if it's creative work, or just plain menial labor, I like to have music on while I'm doing it. My college instructors allow students to listen to music with headphones while working on projects (but not during lectures) and my boss lets me listen to music on my iPod while I work, because I'm basically just a janitor.

eliotraincloud
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Jan 2011, 12:06 pm

The policy in our school is that you can take IPods to school but as long as they're turned off in the bottom of your bag and other devices like MP3 players and phones, we're not encouraged to bring anything of too much value.
It used to be that last year in Art lessons at our school, because of the general relaxed nature of the class, you could have IPods on. Our science teacher this year let us have IPods on and music with headphones if we work well at the same time.