Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Ariela
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Dec 2010, 10:41 pm

Why do people treat Neurotypes like they're one collective group with the same thoughts, opinions etc and act as if they're all out to get us?

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 10:47 pm

Ariela wrote:
Why do people treat Neurotypes like they're one collective group with the same thoughts, opinions etc and act as if they're all out to get us?

Because above all things, autistics are still human and humans naturally project their anxieties onto groups by overgeneralizing the behaviors of a sub-set of that group.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 10:56 pm

They expect everybody to be living in the 21st Century. If you don't look like you're from the 21st Century, they think there's something wrong with you. I'm not a ret*d, I'm a Mod of the 60s. :evil:

Ariela
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Dec 2010, 11:11 pm

Neurotypes have their own quirks and problems.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2010, 11:56 pm

Everyone does it, if there is a group of people that are different from oneself and who share similar traits, people tend to focus on the group's common traits rather than differences within the group.
I don't know if there's a name for it, but if there isn't there should be.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

25 Dec 2010, 12:30 am

If I say "neurotypicals" I mean "some neurotypicals" and specifically "The neurotypicals who annoyed me." I don't hate them, though. Too many of them are too important to me, and I do care about them.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 1:05 am

Neurotype is a symbol.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 1:43 am

No person with autism has ever called me a ret*d or has mocked me for being different.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 4:41 am

What Todesking wrote reminds me of what Muhammad Ali once said

"I ain't got no quarrel with the Vietcong. No Vietcong ever called me Nword" (very bad word pecked out by woodpecker)

But I would say that some people (who are likely to have ASDs) have done things which have made my life harder than it needs to be, the AS community is not populated only by saints.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Geist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Dec 2010, 5:32 am

I only use it as another way to describe 'the complete opposite' . I'm not hating when I use the term NT.

Skinnyboy
Raven
Raven

25 Dec 2010, 7:05 am

I don't like the term because it's not accurate, I don't know anyone who doesn't have some issue. If a word is not accurate, I'd like it to be funny, and it's not that either.

I've known AS individuals who are about the rudest people I've met, does a diagnosis give them a pass over an "NT" with some other undiagnosed issue that adds the his/her rudeness?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

25 Dec 2010, 8:10 am

Skinnyboy wrote:
I don't like the term because it's not accurate, I don't know anyone who doesn't have some issue. If a word is not accurate, I'd like it to be funny, and it's not that either.

What is your definition? The most common definitions I've seen are:

* Not autistic
* Doesn't have a neurological difference (dyslexia, ADHD, bipolar, autism, for example)

I've seen some who use it for any mental illness, but I think that totally dilutes the term.

Quote:
I've known AS individuals who are about the rudest people I've met, does a diagnosis give them a pass over an "NT" with some other undiagnosed issue that adds the his/her rudeness?

Of course not.

When I first heard the term "neurotypical" it was applied to me and my rudeness toward someone else. I don't really mind that it happened. Not everyone can be absolutely correct 100% of the time.

The point of a word like "neurotypical" is so that you have a word other than "normal" (or even no word at all) for people who fit into the dominant category.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 8:21 am

Verdandi wrote:

* Not autistic
* Doesn't have a neurological difference (dyslexia, ADHD, bipolar, autism, for example)

I've seen some who use it for any mental illness, but I think that totally dilutes the term.

<snip>

The point of a word like "neurotypical" is so that you have a word other than "normal" (or even no word at all) for people who fit into the dominant category.

I like the term NT, but only for its original intent. It was coined to mean anyone without an ASD. But it appears that its meaning has evolved to more than just that. Personally, I think the corruption of the term's original meaning is a NT plot to subvert the expression of our obviously superior intellects.

Geist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Dec 2010, 8:29 am

There are many words in the english language that have multiple meanings. Any word or 'term' is truly defined in how it is used in each individual case.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 8:33 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
I like the term NT, but only for its original intent. It was coined to mean anyone without an ASD. But it appears that its meaning has evolved to more than just that. Personally, I think the corruption of the term's original meaning is a NT plot to subvert the expression of our obviously superior intellects.

Possibly! I just mean that by other of the usages I see most often, most people are neurotypical and you're not likely to be wrong, even if you use a more liberal definition.

The most liberal definition is pointless.

Skinnyboy
Raven
Raven

25 Dec 2010, 9:47 am

Verdandi wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:

Possibly! I just mean that by other of the usages I see most often, most people are neurotypical and you're not likely to be wrong, even if you use a more liberal definition.

The most liberal definition is pointless.

That explination was a better wording of my thoughts than my own writing.