Page 1 of 8 [ 128 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 2:38 pm

The reports are just coming in and the information is very rough, but it looks like Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was killed along with several other people at a community event of some sort.

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/08/132764367 ... in-arizona

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/01 ... lic-event/

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-ge ... RESSWOMAN/

Very sad, no word on a motive or anything yet.

- Rick Sanchez

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 3:26 pm

According to Yahoo News, she is alive and in surgery.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110108/us_nm/us_usa_shooting_congresswoman

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

08 Jan 2011, 4:18 pm

ffs what is wrong with people?

hopefully this isn't spun for political gain

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 4:37 pm

Yes, she is alive but was initially reported as dead. Several people in the crowd were also shot and in critical condition. A child is dead.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 4:38 pm

I heard she is still alive and in critical condition, but a federal judge was killed.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Mercurial
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 5:09 pm

A judge and 9 year old were killed. Griffords is out of surgery and responding to commands.

Shooter is 22 year old Tuscon resident Jared Loughner. Appears to be a very bright but mentally ill man, possibly schizophrenic. People are already trying to make him a "right" and "left" winger but it appears he was neither, just very disturbed.

I will say this--while it may turn out Loughner had no political slant on our 2D American political spectrum, the tense political climate tinged with lots of "second amendment remedies" and other talk of violence against a "tyrannical" government drummed up by people like the Tea Party and Sarah Palin (who had Griffords on her "crossfires" map until they took it down from her PAC site earlier today) is very reasonably a factor here. Time to face reality. Words and attitudes have consequences. You elude endlessly about violence, someone will take that to mean violence is appropriate.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 5:11 pm

the jostling to label the shooter has already begun. I checked out his youtube channel, the guy seems pretty weird if not crazy to say the least. Anti-government but talks about mind-control, "conscious dreaming", wanting to create a new language, the end of BCE, sleepwalking, it doesn't make any sense. Someone that knew him from high school on twitter says he was pretty left wing when she knew him but became reclusive and obsessed with 2012 prophecies the last few years.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 5:15 pm

What do you mean by the "end of BCE"? Before Common Era is the only thing I can think of.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 5:33 pm

Aimless wrote:
What do you mean by the "end of BCE"? Before Common Era is the only thing I can think of.

I dont know what it means either but I assume that's correct. I know 2012 crazy people think 2012 is going to be the end of some phase in human existence or something like that.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 5:48 pm

Quote:
Rhee described Giffords' wound as "through-and-through ... It went through her brain."

Ugh, even if she lives that doesn't sound good.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 7:04 pm

This is a terrible tragedy.
I worry about the backlash against those with mental disabilties that is coming.

This is going be like the Cho shootings at VA tech from a few years back.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 10:19 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Quote:
Rhee described Giffords' wound as "through-and-through ... It went through her brain."

Ugh, even if she lives that doesn't sound good.

It was a 9mm and it sounds like the hollowpoint didn't expand. It would have made a small hole through her brain. depending on where it went through her brain, there is a chance that she might be able to eventually return to congress.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 12:34 am

Jacoby wrote:
ffs what is wrong with people?

hopefully this isn't spun for political gain

Already is being spun for political gain by those on the left attempting to blame Rush, Beck, Palin and anyone else they want to be silenced...

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 12:50 am

It was rather disingenuous of Rep. Gifford's election opponent, Jesse Kelly, to say that he "didn't see any connection" between his fundraisers, in which he invited people to help him unseat Gifford by firing a fully-automatic M-16 rifle, and this wackjob attempting to kill Gifford (and a number of other people, including a federal judge whose ruling apparently annoyed him) by firing a semi-automatic handgun...

OTOH, it's pretty clear that Loughner was/is just plain deranged, apparently believing he could control others' minds, and being certain that his redesigned US currency would somehow solve all the world's problems. I join the chorus of voices pointing out that the man isn't "right-wing" or "left-wing" - in fact, he seems to be devoid of wings completely.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 1:36 am

DeaconBlues wrote:
It was rather disingenuous of Rep. Gifford's election opponent, Jesse Kelly, to say that he "didn't see any connection" between his fundraisers, in which he invited people to help him unseat Gifford by firing a fully-automatic M-16 rifle, and this wackjob attempting to kill Gifford (and a number of other people, including a federal judge whose ruling apparently annoyed him) by firing a semi-automatic handgun...

OTOH, it's pretty clear that Loughner was/is just plain deranged, apparently believing he could control others' minds, and being certain that his redesigned US currency would somehow solve all the world's problems. I join the chorus of voices pointing out that the man isn't "right-wing" or "left-wing" - in fact, he seems to be devoid of wings completely.

Yeah this violence talk is getting out of hand. Should a Muslim say such things people think terrorist but a non-Muslim politician for instance?

If anyone would like me to theorize what the terrorist-like person was talking about on his social networking copy and paste something specific. I can explain for instance the possibilities of why someone believes in mind control for instance. Just so you know mind control unless in very controlled circumstance is nearly impossible and in the absolute form of the word nearly impossible.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Jan 2011, 10:07 am

DeaconBlues wrote:

"in fact, he seems to be devoid of wings completely"

I'm not too sure about wings, but he definitely did not have both oars in the water......Image