Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 12:44 am

What should i do to aquire them? If people could help me by making a list of steps that i could come back to that would be great! My normal daily routine is to read blogs or wikipedia articles for 12 hours, so i may forget to do them othewise. Also my current sleep schedule is that of an Owl.

I have serious problems in my life which drive me towards suicidal ideation.

I need detailed and continuous help.

NcNbl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 3:09 am

hi jamieboy! i'm nico! :)

i'm very sociable that most of what i do and did for a living all my life is about it. and i have tons of friends that my parents deport me to other places when its very necessary for me to not be distracted but i just end making more friends.. hehe.. i have many different kind of personalities for friends, from young to old, rich to poor, a priest to a drug dealer.. hehe.. there are concepts that applies to all so that's what im gonna list down for you. do only what and when you feel like, don't force yourself.

well first, you need to change your schedule and make it a point to remind yourself of your goal to make friends..
now on making friends:

spend time with people, hang around with them whatever it is they're doing that you think you could hang around for. you dont have to do much or grand efforts to spend the time just give them a sense you are there with them. there are no trophies at the end of this but you are investing in them friendship.

listen, NT's always talk a lot and have many concerns that may not concern or interest you but it doesn't mean it doesnt affect the other person, sometimes people just need somebody to listen or be there for them when they want to share what they have in their thoughts that affects them in whatever way. and if you could say something nice, say it.

do other people favors, do only what you can. if in some way you think you could help someone; help them. if you think its a nice gesture and intention that you have for someone, do it. give or do things that you know that another person will appreciate, it also doesnt have to be a grand gesture, little things put together is big..

share yourself. open up.. share a certain honesty or amount honesty about yourself to someone that you could allow. when you do this, its like welcoming another person's existence to your existence.. it's like showing them you trust them.

there's many more, i could get back at you about them when i recall.. now, on finding people.

hang out with a relative, they have friends, so they more likely would have automatic respect for you being a relative of their friend.

go out, hang out in a bar or coffee shop, diner or park whatever, and mingle in steps that you could and in the long run you'll realize you already made a friend..

join a group of similar activities and interest. sharing interest too is a way of connecting and sharing.

follow up on people you already know and try to build friendship from existing acquaintances..

don't be too picky. making friends could be direct but could also be indirect, friends could be made anywhere anyhow. just generally be nice to anyone and thats a start.

don't be too hard on yourself if it doesn't work exactly as you might hope. the world is full of people, i'm sure your approach will work on at least 10 in 100.

do not reject yourself for other people, there might be rejections, or failure, not exactly rejections but don't do that to yourself; thinking that you can't or they won't.

and there'll be those that wouldn't approve of you very much, let them go, you dont need them. you need a friend continue making them.

say hi to people, introduce yourself, remember and greet them on their birthdays, congratulate them, thank them, compliment them.

focus on doing nice things for other people that you can, and don't bother if other's not as nice, if you dont like them you could stay away, whats important is you're the one doing the nice things. and importantly;

SMILE! :D
also only if you can &/or comfortable.

and I could be your friend..
and so far these are what i have in mind at the moment.. so good luck and be well.. lemme know if there's anything else.. :)

Last edited by NcNbl on 01 Feb 2011, 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arman_Khodaei
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Feb 2011, 3:09 am

First, I will need to know some more things in order to better help.

1. Are you in school?
2. Do you work? If not, do you have an income?

If you are not in school, I recommend on using meetup.com to find groups with similar interests to you. They have groups for board games, anime, heck probably even comic books and movies. So, find these groups if possible. If not, start one yourself.

Also, read books on understanding people better. Or, go to a community college and take a course in Interpersonal Communication, and if you desire Psychology as well.

I have a daily blog that discusses my experiences on the autism spectrum, and a daily YouTube series to compliment it. Please check them out. I also have a podcast that is updated weekly including an Al

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

01 Feb 2011, 6:31 pm

Try looking up the word "friend" on wikipedia? since your there anyways it might give you hints on sucessful friendships

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 2:35 am

Arman_Khodaei wrote:
First, I will need to know some more things in order to better help.

1. Are you in school?
2. Do you work? If not, do you have an income?

If you are not in school, I recommend on using meetup.com to find groups with similar interests to you. They have groups for board games, anime, heck probably even comic books and movies. So, find these groups if possible. If not, start one yourself.

Also, read books on understanding people better. Or, go to a community college and take a course in Interpersonal Communication, and if you desire Psychology as well.

I'm not in school. I don't work and recieve disability.

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 2:40 am

http://www.meetup.com/cities/gb/ln6_8ha/

Looks like meetup.com's gonna be a non starter. :(

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 2:42 am

a degree would put me in severe financial debt. I'd also have problems getting on the course having left school at 13

Arman_Khodaei
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2011, 5:31 pm

jamieboy wrote:

That's why I suggested starting one up if you can't find any common interests.

You might also want to put fliers and start a club that meets at the local bookstore, maybe a game club or a book club, or even an anime discussion group.

I have a daily blog that discusses my experiences on the autism spectrum, and a daily YouTube series to compliment it. Please check them out. I also have a podcast that is updated weekly including an Al

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 9:49 pm

richardbenson wrote:
Try looking up the word "friend" on wikipedia? since your there anyways it might give you hints on sucessful friendships

Like you're an authority... :roll:

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 2:02 am

Arman_Khodaei wrote:
jamieboy wrote:

That's why I suggested starting one up if you can't find any common interests.

You might also want to put fliers and start a club that meets at the local bookstore, maybe a game club or a book club, or even an anime discussion group.

Egregious self-confidence and a lack of social anxiety is required here. Maybe it's something i can try in the future though.

alice333
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Feb 2011, 1:17 pm

I don't either, it's easy having no friends in some ways but many people, such as family, are concerned about it because they think I will need friendship to develop social skills for work, dealing with things etc.

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2011, 11:51 pm

Where in England are you? :)

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 6:04 am

I find it harder to KEEP friends than make them. Aspies have trouble priortizing socializing vs. hanging out alone in their bedrooms ;)

I'd say make going out and chatting with folks like a job you have to do. Set aside time to do it every week. If you are reasonably friendly and funny you ought to be able to make some connections. Then the trick is to keep in touch with those people through text or email or whatever and plan to meet up again.

alice333
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Feb 2011, 1:50 pm

Kiseki wrote:
I find it harder to KEEP friends than make them. Aspies have trouble priortizing socializing vs. hanging out alone in their bedrooms ;)

I'd say make going out and chatting with folks like a job you have to do. Set aside time to do it every week. If you are reasonably friendly and funny you ought to be able to make some connections. Then the trick is to keep in touch with those people through text or email or whatever and plan to meet up again.

Yes, but for me the problem is trust and also most people get very boring after a few minutes of conversation. Fact.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 3:26 pm

I don't have any friends myself however i would like a few friends atleast though.

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2011, 2:14 am

Kiseki wrote:

My social anxiety is at quite an intense degree so i wouldnt be able to approach someone and if i did i certainly wouldnt be barney the dinosaur by the time i got up to them. I proritize staying in so i can avoid personal suffering and human cruelty. I am also extremely unhappy in this state unfortunately. I think i'll always be unhappy! I was even unhappy during a blow job!