Favorite Things You Need to Use Everyday?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 8:41 am

Does anyone else do this? For example I like to sit in the same general area on the train and I get annoyed and slightly anxious if I can't sit there.

I also use the same bowl, cup and plate at each meal. I've hidden these in my cupboard so my roommate can't use them.

I have a pen that I use everyday at school too. It's nothing special, just a usual pen that cost like 3 bucks. My co-worker accidentally took it once and I freaked out! On the inside. I didn't know how I'd be able to teach without that pen.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

01 Feb 2011, 8:55 am

I have a Red Robin glass that I use all the time.

We have a variety of spoons and forks, but I am uncomfortable if I cannot use one particular type/shape of fork or spoon. I do have a semi-acceptable second choice but it makes me pretty annoyed.

I have a water bottle I use daily. I keep thinking I should buy a new one, but never do. I did throw away a plastic water bottle and I was at loose ends for ages until I replaced it.

I have a pair of sunglasses I have owned since 1996, which I wear whenever I go outside, or whenever my photophobia gets worse and the dim light in my room starts to overwhelm. I have purchased many pairs since, but I never use them. Yes, this pair has a cracked lens and other issues that make them a bit more fragile, but they're my sunglasses.

Every time I replace my computer I have to transplant at least one item into the new machine. It's usually hard drives, but this means I have a somewhat direct hardware line going back to the first PC I owned in 1994. If I do not do this, it is not my computer. I don't actually have any parts from 1994, as I always bring different parts forward, but the connection is there. I do have all the same files that I had in 1994, as well.

I much prefer to sit at one end of the couch if I do go into the living room. If someone else is sitting there, I will probably just go back to my bedroom. Sometimes I might use the love seat if it's particularly quiet and not stressful, but usually I'd rather not.

Edited for slight detail

Last edited by Verdandi on 01 Feb 2011, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 1:31 pm

Being uncomfortable outside of a set routine is a defining characteristic of Autism.

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 1:36 pm

I drink out of the same mug all the time. If it breaks, my life feels jagged for weeks, while I settle in with a new one. I can hardly bear to use forks, spoons, and knives that are not of a certain pattern that I'm used to. And pens... I'm a writer. I have a lot of different pens, but they must be pens of a type I approve of. I use fountain pens almost exclusively, loaded up with Noodlers ink, which is the only kind I use. And I am only happy with certain fountain pens; I hate Montblanc, for example, but love Pelikan and Noodlers new pens, and the Platinum ones converted as eyedropper fillers are nice, cheap alternatives. I feel better just holding one of these pens in my hand, looking at the ink glistening inside the barrel (I prefer pens that have a window, or, better yet, clear demonstrator models - although I'll make an exception for the Noodlers ebonite pens).

With just about anything I use, I have a specific preference / range of preferences, and anything outside that makes me uncomfortable. I get upset if I can't find the exact model of toothbrush I'm used to using. I cling to combs, even when a tine or two breaks, until I can find one that feels right. I have to use my shovel. Only my keyboard feels right. You get the idea...

For most things, it is one very specific item or model that works for me. For some things I use all the time - pens, notebooks, that sort of thing - I do have a slightly wider range of possibilities, but what I use must still fall within that range; I can't use just any pen or any notebook. Not even just any fountain pen. :wink: I have pens I've bought to try out that I can't really bear to use. Actually, I used to only use one pen, always the same one, but then I got nervous, and wondered if I'd be able to write at all if anything happened to that, so I forced myself to get used to a few other types. I do this with writing; pens, paper and notebooks, applications on the computer, but not really with anything else. That is about as much flexibility as I can stand.

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

TexasAspie
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Feb 2011, 2:19 pm

I have sat in the same bus seat every day for the past two years. Since I catch the bus in the morning in the beginning of the line I have no problem getting that seat. Going back home is the problem since I get on the bus halfway through its route. So I sit nearby and wait for the person to leave.

I have the same cup I use to drink juice everyday.

I have 3 of the same jacket that I have to wear each day. If one gets dirty I have another one.

Not sure of other things I do each day.

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 3:22 pm

I do the same kinds of things at the same times every day, making use of the same objects until they fall apart. Then I replace them with something as similar as possible. I also cut weekends out of my life because the change in schedule is too disruptive.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 4:39 pm

I have to sleep with my teddy bear and bean bag sac every night or else it takes me much longer to fall asleep.

Whenever I go into the living room to watch TV with my parents, I always have to sit in the far left corner of the couch.

I'm not sure if this counts or not, but I have to visit the same handful of websites everyday including this one, Cracked, DeviantArt (I lurk there but don't post anything) and TVTropes.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

01 Feb 2011, 4:43 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
I'm not sure if this counts or not, but I have to visit the same handful of websites everyday including this one, Cracked, DeviantArt (I lurk there but don't post anything) and TVTropes.

Hmm, I always have the same number of browser windows open, with specific tabs in each browser, and the browser windows have to be in the correct order (it's annoying and stressful if, say, the browser that I use for social networking sites is fifth in line instead of third - this happens sometimes because windows explorer scrambles windows and I have to move the tabs around).

I also don't use a screen saver, and always leave my browser opened to a specific webpage when I go to bed. Originally this was because it had a dark background, but now it's more colorful and thus less useful for my intended purpose, but I just don't really want to change to something else.

I turned off my screen saver because it would interrupt movies.

alex
Developer
Developer

01 Feb 2011, 4:50 pm

I sit in the same seat in my car when I drive everyday.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 4:59 pm

alex wrote:

That's classic aspie rigidity there.

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 6:22 pm

There is one particular brand of pen that I use, and I get annoyed if I can't use it. They stopped making the kind that I liked and I had to switch to a completely different type. That really bugged me.

I use several computers, and I have a set of bookmarks on the web-browser toolbar that are absolutely identical on all of them. I have the same plug ins and apps installed on all of them. If, for some reason, I can't do things identically on all of them, I feel that something is wrong.

I have replaced my iPod with newer models, but I keep the same set of apps on all of them, organized identically.

UrchinStar47
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Feb 2011, 6:30 pm

Moog wrote:
alex wrote:

That's classic aspie rigidity there.

Unless he's the driver. :wink:

As far as pens are concerned I use fountain pens and gel pens (cheaper and easier to replace than fountain pens) exclusively.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

01 Feb 2011, 6:37 pm

Fire agate.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 7:04 pm

I frequently use the same kind of coffee mug for coffee, and the same kind of glass for other drinks.

I like using specific bowls for the food I'm eating.

Whenever I sit in the back seat of a car, I like to sit at the left end near the window.

I almost always sit at the very front of the classroom.

...and lots of other things.

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 7:15 pm

UrchinStar47 wrote:
As far as pens are concerned I use fountain pens and gel pens (cheaper and easier to replace than fountain pens) exclusively.

If they will work for you, pick up a few Platinum Preppy fountain pens - three bucks each on JetPens - and a set of O-rings to convert them to eyedropper fillers (I think it is only a dollar for four O-rings on Goulet Pens) then get yourself some Noodlers Ink. (Actually, buy most of the 4.5 ounce bottles of Noodlers, and you'll get a Preppy already converted free with the ink.) That is so much cheaper than gel pens - add up the cost of the refills, and those things wind up costing you as much as a high range fountain pen, one with a gold nib. Not right away, but over time.

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

BottleCap
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 7:25 pm

Huh.... Now that I think of it, I sit on the right side of the bus in the mornings and I sit on the left side in the evenings.

Whenever it happens to be the case when a vehicle is full, I want the window seat! I get annoyed if I don't.