I don't know why I react like that

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Kiran
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Mar 2011, 4:02 pm

I rarely get hit on by or have a guy interested in me, but every time it happens I react in a very strange way: I complitly freeze. It's like someone punched me in the stomach, I'm in chock and I can't breathe. It's almost like a panic attack. I remenber one time in a store two guys walked up to me and one of the guys said something like '' my friend likes you''. I complitly panicked, said ''oh, okay'' and walked away. I felt so rude. I didn't want to hurt his feelings, but I was panicking and I had to get out of that situation or I was gonna have a panick attack. I don't know why I react like that when a guy is interested in me! Has anyone here ever had this problem? Did you ever figure out why? Because I have no clue.
This is making me kinda depressed. How am I ever be able to have a relationship when I panick when someone simply say they like me? :cry:

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 4:46 pm

YES!

The only thing you can do is practice. Imagine several scenarios where someone says that they like you or that you look pretty or that they like something you're wearing or whatever. And consider what you would say in return. Practice different ways to say it until it sounds friendly and natural.

You'll be better equipped to respond to someone in that situation if you prepare.

jayssite
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Mar 2011, 1:59 am

You could communicate your nervousness by saying "I don't know what to say" or "Wow, now I feel weird". It's best to be yourself, even if it means showing flaws. Obviously it's not perfect, but it's infinitely better than letting them misunderstand and think you're rude.

Kiran
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Mar 2011, 10:43 am

wefunction wrote:
YES!

The only thing you can do is practice. Imagine several scenarios where someone says that they like you or that you look pretty or that they like something you're wearing or whatever. And consider what you would say in return. Practice different ways to say it until it sounds friendly and natural.

You'll be better equipped to respond to someone in that situation if you prepare.

I never imagine things like that. I don't ever expect anyone to be attracted to me. That might be why it always comes as a chock when it happens. I don't get why anybody would find me attractive, but apparently some people do, so I'll try your advice. :)

daspie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 12:49 am

Kiran wrote:
I rarely get hit on by or have a guy interested in me, but every time it happens I react in a very strange way: I complitly freeze. It's like someone punched me in the stomach, I'm in chock and I can't breathe. It's almost like a panic attack. I remenber one time in a store two guys walked up to me and one of the guys said something like '' my friend likes you''. I complitly panicked, said ''oh, okay'' and walked away. I felt so rude. I didn't want to hurt his feelings, but I was panicking and I had to get out of that situation or I was gonna have a panick attack. I don't know why I react like that when a guy is interested in me! Has anyone here ever had this problem? Did you ever figure out why? Because I have no clue.
This is making me kinda depressed. How am I ever be able to have a relationship when I panick when someone simply say they like me? :cry:

I react this way to a very good news like I passed an examination or some thing else. I think that this due to not being in such situation very often in our lives coupled with our social anxieties. The first reason can be overcome by imagining these situations as wefunction has mentioned.