Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

atxa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jul 2006, 7:12 pm

Hi,

When it's time to talk, I don't have enough imagination to know what to say or I'm not spontaneous to answer something quickly. It's the same thing with people that I know a lot and since a long time.

Sometime I can search inside my head what to say and after 5 or 10 minutes I don't have more ideas.

I'm not nervous nor anxious, I'm very relax when it's happen so that is not the problem.

But in those situations peoples think that I don't care about them or I'm an anti-social or I'm too shy so they don't care about me or hate me and that's bug me.

Did you find tips for that ?

Thank you !

Vinzer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2006, 7:20 pm

Exactly what kind of situations are these? Does this happen all the time? The only thing I can really think of is try to buy yourself some time if you don't immediately have an answer, maybe you could respond with something like, "What? I wasn't paying attention". Practicing speaking with someone without knowing what's going to be said would likely also be a good idea, if you have any way of setting that up.

atxa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jul 2006, 10:48 pm

atxa wrote:
When it's time to talk, I don't have enough imagination to know what to say or I'm not spontaneous to answer something quickly

Is it an asperger symptom ?

alexa232
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2006, 6:59 am

atxa wrote:
atxa wrote:
When it's time to talk, I don't have enough imagination to know what to say or I'm not spontaneous to answer something quickly

I often find myself in the same situation. I tend to begin talking about a specific topic rather than the weather (or whatever). This way I have plenty of facts to contribute with to the conversation. (however, I always start a conversation by asking the other person if they are interested these topics. ) Like I will ask someone if they are interested in music, and if they answer yes, I ask them which kindof music they like. This way I avoid small-talk, and at the same time I get to talk about something that is of my interest. If I can't find any common ground with a person, I give up rather quickly. If it is an aspie trait, well, probably for some aspies.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2006, 7:14 am

i feel same way atxa verbally and through typing at times and even more annoying when the person oon other end of YIM has to be as if hes or shes in bad need of ritalin with all the buzz featur use. (severe adhd)

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2006, 7:48 am

I know that feeling!

People expect you to talk, but you don't because you don't know what to say.

I guess there's nothing you can do about it.

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2006, 8:57 am

I find talking to be kinda counter-intuitive (that's definitely an autistic trait) - a lot of the time talking doesn't happen naturally, I have to remind myself to do it. And yeah, finding things to say can be a problem - I might have a million things going through my head but my thinking is so visual and abstract, it's hard to put those thoughts into words - especially within the short time frame that's required to keep up with a conversation.

Louise
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2006, 10:00 am

One thing that can help is to ask the other person questions - if they think you're interested in what they have to say, they'll take it as a compliment, and it lessens the amount of talking you have to do.

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2006, 12:24 pm

I have the same problem. I hate being expected to talk when I have nothing to say.

I had laryngitis for a week once. It was glorious.

fernando
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2006, 12:43 pm

juliekitty wrote:
I have the same problem. I hate being expected to talk when I have nothing to say.

I had laryngitis for a week once. It was glorious.

Yeah, me too. People didn't even notice that I had stopped talking because... well... I never talked much anyway.

kc0eks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jul 2006, 11:21 pm

I also quite often run out of things to talk about after a short time, or I have nothing to say at all. I try very hard to think of things to say, but mostly I just think about how I cant think of anything to say.

Thats confusing :P hah.

Unless I am talking about something that interests me, I have a hard time with conversation.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2006, 3:29 am

I can get that way, but it depends on the situation. If I am trying to hammer a point across, I surely can talk extensively. If I talk about my interests, quite the same. If people start talking about stuff I'm not interested in, I tend not to know what to say. If I am asked a question that is more personal, I can be the same.

- Ray M -

scott
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jul 2006, 10:07 am

atxa wrote:
atxa wrote:

Yes not being able to talk very much is a AS symptom

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2006, 8:32 pm

There's a few things I can talk on and on and on and on and on about (long after everyone else is bored with the topic). Everything else, I can't say much about--at least nothing interesting or thought-provoking.

atxa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jul 2006, 8:36 pm

neongrl wrote:
I have to remind myself to do it.

I don't have to remember that I have to talk, I just want to talk and want to have something to say ...

neongrl wrote:
And yeah, finding things to say can be a problem - I might have a million things going through my head but my thinking is so visual and abstract

Not me, in my head it's just blank

Thanks !

atxa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jul 2006, 8:41 pm

larsenjw92286 wrote:
People expect you to talk, but you don't because you don't know what to say.
I guess there's nothing you can do about it.

Humm ! I will continue to say to myself that there is something that I can do about it, someday I will find it LOL

I'll let you know what's the tips LOL

Thank you !